GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone running BBK in the rear of their mk7

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed
So any one here running a BBK kit in the rear of their mk7..

i have a big brake kit for the fronts.. so i would like to know whats out there for our cars..

especially interested in kit that I can use Toureg or Porsche callipers .. thx

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Check rotorlab. I know they don't normally do it, but they have one setup on their site that had front and rear bbk. Maybe reach out to see what they used, since their focus is the 17z/18z

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
So any one here running a BBK kit in the rear of their mk7..

i have a big brake kit for the fronts.. so i would like to know whats out there for our cars..

especially interested in kit that I can use Toureg or Porsche callipers .. thx

HPA makes one for the Mk 7: http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_bbk.html

I have a friend who is running an HPA BBK on the rear of his Mk2 TTRS. I assume he is happy with it. I don't remember if he has upgraded his front brakes.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Let me ask you this.
Why do you need a rear BBK for a Golf R when you already have the front?

Most of your braking is done with the fronts. Are you having issues with the rear? Are you tracking the car and finding issues with the rears?

I've run endurance races in a BMW 335 with four wheel BBK kit (Stoptech).
Obviously, the 335 is RWD and has a better weight distribution than the GTI/R and the rears basically have no wear. We've run the same brake pads on the rear of the 335 for over 24 hours and there is still a ton of pad left. The fronts last a bit longer than 12 hours.
Other than looks, I'm not sure you need to go with a rear BBK on an R.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
^Exactly. This was my thought when i said "to hell with a 4 corner brake swap" on my GTI. Look at the TCRs for example: they're run big 6pot setups up front and 272x10 rotors in the rear. That alone was enough for me to justify being happy with the rotors i have currently in rear, and if i really want more, i'll swap out rotors for something else from the aftermarket when the time comes.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Let me ask you this.
Why do you need a rear BBK for a Golf R when you already have the front?

Most of your braking is done with the fronts. Are you having issues with the rear? Are you tracking the car and finding issues with the rears?

I've run endurance races in a BMW 335 with four wheel BBK kit (Stoptech).
Obviously, the 335 is RWD and has a better weight distribution than the GTI/R and the rears basically have no wear. We've run the same brake pads on the rear of the 335 for over 24 hours and there is still a ton of pad left. The fronts last a bit longer than 12 hours.
Other than looks, I'm not sure you need to go with a rear BBK on an R.

Very well said. I would agree with this statement. A good front BBK on this platform is more than enough. I know some pretty aggressive high HP builds that have no problems with a 380mm 6 piston kit in front and use a matching rear pad and rotor upgrade. Every car, driver and track is going to show different weakness though so one might require something someone else doesn't. The money is definitely better put toward something else. In my opinion. :)

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

Yup. This is exactly what most people need to read.

I've upgraded my fronts with the Stoptech BBK 4-piston, 328mm two-piece slotted rotor setup. I can tell you that when these brakes get a little heat in them, they braking forces are incredible. No need to get anything bigger for a GTI that'll see spirited street driving and several lapping days at a track.

Also a huge plus, it literally takes about 5 minutes to change the brake pads on the Stoptech BBK once you have the wheel removed. Just take out the bridge, push back the pad to recess the pistons, pull out the old pad and quickly install the new pad and repeat for the other one. It's that simple.

http://www.stoptech.com/docs/default-source/wheel-fitment-templates/98-895-2430-00_fp?sfvrsn=2