GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Voltage vs. Temperature

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Checked mine after the car sat for 18-20 hours in the garage. It's about 60 degrees F at the moment. Read 12.28 volts according to my digital voltmeter. That means I lost 1/3 of a full charge from maybe a 30-degree drop in temperature and sitting? It read 12.54 the last time I checked. I did not have the alarm set either time. The battery is about 2 years old. I'll need to check it under the same conditions when it gets warmer again, perhaps I didn't wait as long the last time. Charged my jump box fully, just in case.

Of note is I checked the battery voltage with my VCDS using the engine module's advanced measuring vales, and the label, battery voltage. It read only 12.0 volts. My digital voltmeter is a decent autoranging Sperry that's supposed to self calibrate.

drshark

Ready to race!
Temperature vs. amperage, voltage, and capacity is a very complex topic, having to do with the availability of electron sites. I suspect that the temperature difference completely obscures our ability to draw a conclusion about drain. According to a battery test chart from Carquest, you could expect about .3-.4 volt drop from the temperature. (http://www.carquestprofessionals.com/batteries/maintenance.html)

I guess just wait until it's a constant temperature out to test the drain...

Shawn

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Automotive batteries consist of six 2.1 volt cells. 12.6 volts is the maximum charge. Anything above 12.2 is normal.