GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glovebox woes...

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
Today I removed my glovebox (RHD) in order to try and fit some footwell lights.
After refitting the glovebox I noticed that the door was no longer damped as it opened, but fell like a brick!

I later found a cog gear/wheel under the passenger seat which I assume is used to control the drop of the door, so I will have to remove the glovebox again to refit the cog.

Does anyone have any idea where this cog goes? Could it be refitted without removing the whole glovebox?

I really don't want to go through all that again if I don't have to, but I don't think I can leave the door the way it is!

GP

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
GP,

Fully lower your glovebox by pressing the two keepers on the right and left side to clear the retainer knob (see pic 1). Insert the cog wheel (larger wheel first) into mechanism that has hinge going through it (VW parts list it is the glovebox support stop) (see pic 2). Now holding the cog wheel into mechanism raise the glovebox and slide the piece attached to glovebox into the glovebox support stop (see pics 3 and 4). Close glove box so retainer knobs clear two keeps. It is a piece of cake once you have been through it.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 8,425
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 7,815
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 8,817
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 10,341
Last edited:

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
Thanks George you saved my life!!

I was ready to remove the glovebox again. I had no idea where that thing went.
All done in less than two minutes! Yippeee.
Cheers,

GP

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
George, I did not see this thread before therefore I started a new thread :-(, very clear pictures thanks, anyways I had the same issue while changing my cabin filter, one thing that I don't see on your first pic is that little rubber feet thingy that goes in that groove, mine flew out, both of them without them the door makes stops a bit harder.

Last edited:

coleylikesbacon

Ready to race!
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I was just checking my cabin filter and knocked the glovebox free of the holder and the pieces went flying.

Pictures made it simple to put back together.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I had the same issue, cog fell out and I put it back in, but whenever I open the glove box it's no longers damped. Is there another thing that may be displaced?
I was lowering the the glove box door to hook up the Helix sub..

sumakor

Oh good. Whew. Yes that was trivial. Not sure about saved my life but a clunly glovebox was a bit of a price to pay for a cleaner cabin air filter. Thanks George

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
George, I did not see this thread before therefore I started a new thread :-(, very clear pictures thanks, anyways I had the same issue while changing my cabin filter, one thing that I don't see on your first pic is that little rubber feet thingy that goes in that groove, mine flew out, both of them without them the door makes stops a bit harder.

Are these orderable? I lost one.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I believe on model year 16-17 probably a trade off for the MIBII , I get why they do it but it’s sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ButteredToast

does anyone know where I could get one of the arms that goes into that gear for the soft close glove box? my 2015 gti doesn't appear to have it and the glove box just slams open

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
does anyone know where I could get one of the arms that goes into that gear for the soft close glove box? my 2015 gti doesn't appear to have it and the glove box just slams open

I might be able to help you out. PM me.