GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the jack pads from the Audi A3 (2013->)

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I never liked this "version" of the set up, I have had the "pucks" retrofitted on other VAG cars, but prefer the rear wedge blocks & the front covers with puck built in..
I have the wedges too. I read about the pucks not fitting well in the rear and the wedges were a breeze install.

zero10

Ready to race!
Countrymen, one and all: check out e-acca.com for these parts at a fraction. Little bit of a wait, but good success.

Oh, if you look close enough during manufacturing, you'll see when these pads get used.

Happy motoring!

Thanks for the e-acca tip - that cuts the cost significantly for me! I just ordered a full set for my 2017 Golf.

johnamcdonald

I never liked this "version" of the set up, I have had the "pucks" retrofitted on other VAG cars, but prefer the rear wedge blocks & the front covers with puck built in..

Can you provide the part numbers for the front covers with puck built in? Looking for Part No. 8V0804631 results in three choices as noted above. Which works? Thanks.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
if you check the table again it says that part 8V0 804 631 was replaced by part 8V0 804 631 A, and this second part was as well replaced by part 8V0 804 631 B. which is what I ordered.

I actually received everything today. the rear pieces went on in one minute each, but I haven't done the front yet. I sadly discovered my Golf won't go on my portable ramps with the front wheels, not enough clearance for the bumper :(

anyway, by looking at the pictures of the job finished, I don't feel very comfy in putting the jack on the new spots. I mean, they really look like they are made for the shop lifter rather than for a jack, especially because of the shape of the rear pieces.
at least I need to switch my jack to a flat end instead of a cup, but then the cup is needed again for the front.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
i I don't feel very comfy in putting the jack on the new spots. I mean, they really look like they are made for the shop lifter rather than for a jack, especially because of the shape of the rear pieces.
at least I need to switch my jack to a flat end instead of a cup, but then the cup is needed again for the front.

I have the estate & have used my jack pads for 3yrs now...& I swap from winter to summer tyres & have the car jacked up for various other mods etc...no problems using these pads...

My jacks have a cup with a rubber pad, which makes it flat, but I use a 2cm thick pad made used folded newspaper..& fit this between the jack pad on the jack & jack pad on the car...no slip, & stops any marking of the plastic...:cool:

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
if you have time, anytime, I would value a picture for both front and back. I mean, whenever you happen to jack the car again. no rush.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
if you have time, anytime, I would value a picture for both front and back. I mean, whenever you happen to jack the car again. no rush.

Found these photos on my computer...the Audi jack pads being used with my 3tonne pro jacks on a concrete floor, with a rubber pad & newspaper pad between the rubber pad/cup & the Audi jack pad...

Mind you my 3tonne jacks are big wide body versions, so very stable...

Attachments

• PB150034-altered.jpg
    PB150034-altered.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 2,983
  • DSCF2546-altered.jpg
    DSCF2546-altered.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 2,530

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I did it, I did it without even lifting the car, while laying down with my back on the floor. it wasn't the most comfy thing ever but it wasn't difficult either.

thank you for the pictures.

zero10

Ready to race!
I posted here a few months back about ordering the parts from an overseas parts seller. I received them over the winter and finally got to installing them yesterday. Unbelievable how easy the install is and what a difference they make. It took me less time to install the new parts and lift the car and change the tires than it took just to get the car safely lifted last time. My jack is rather tall and bulky but doesn't have super long reach so I used to have to do a dance of driving up on boards and jacking up one corner then lifting another corner... Now I can do it with the car flat on the ground because the lift points are so close to the outside edges of the car. For the money spent this is an extremely worthwhile mod!

Knowing what I now know I could easily install front and back jack pads on both sides in under 5 minutes with the car flat on the ground. I was a bit surprised by how much force was required to pull the factory pieces back, and I maybe missed it somewhere but I didn't initially realize the mud flaps anchored through those panels so I had to remove their clip to get the old one out and drill a hole in the new part to get the clip back in once the new parts were installed.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Knowing what I now know I could easily install front and back jack pads on both sides in under 5 minutes with the car flat on the ground...

Wow in less than 5 min? It takes me 5 min to crack open my beer and pull out my tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zero10

Ready to race!
Wow in less than 5 min? It takes me 5 min to crack open my beer and pull out my tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had piece-work jobs before so I have a keen eye for optimizing processes and avoiding unnecessary steps, also I'm a strong believer in first order reachability so it doesn't take time to get my tools out, they're always at the ready. That certainly reduces the time significantly.

In retrospect, I may have been exaggerating a bit with the 5 minutes comment but truthfully, under 10 minutes is achievable. The install can be done with the car flat on the ground which is a big time saver. Plus, if you do the job efficiently there's more time for beer at the end. And that's something I would FAR rather spend time on :D

I find it hard to believe that VW does not include these parts on the car as it is delivered. It's such a no-brainer to have them.

funks

Ready to race!
Probably 20$ in parts and not sure why it's not included stock. Would have save their dealerships time as well.

Last edited:

funks

Ready to race!
BTW, 8V0804631 (Base Plate for jack socket - rubber bungs) isn't the same as the 8N0804583 (Jack Snubber Grommet).

The jack snubber donut that fits onto 8NO804583 is wider (2mm) than the audi jack socket donut section.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
BTW, 8V0804631 (Base Plate for jack socket - rubber bungs) isn't the same as the 8N0804583 (Jack Snubber Grommet).

The jack snubber donut that fits onto 8NO804583 is wider (2mm) than the audi jack socket donut section.

As son as you start deviating from what has been successfully done you can end up with a shelf of useless parts...been there & done that...:eek:

funks

Ready to race!
As son as you start deviating from what has been successfully done you can end up with a shelf of useless parts...been there & done that...:eek:

Thanks - I original went with the setup you documented (awesome) but it was a pain in the ass to lift my car when working on it (I have a lift, probably not a problem for people using floor jacks though)

Nagging issues I had (note, I got a drive on lift. Ain't a problem with floor jacks, nor two post lifts)

*) Front Hex Pad was too low, making it hard for me to put rubber pucks underneath (as lift spacers) -
*) Front Hex Pad, and the Rear block wasn't level when lifted up.

Went with the following route instead

Front:
(1x) 8V0825271 and (1x) 8V0825272 splash shields
(2x) 8N0803855 jack snubber, (2x) 8N0804583 (jack snubber grommet)

Rear:
(2x) 8N0803855 jack snubber, (2x) 8N0804583 (jack snubber grommet)

8N0804583

8N0803855

I then purchased 4 of these (see below) from eBay, they are awesome - made of Delrin and has a magnet in the middle specifically made to mate with the jack snubber (has metal in the middle of the dimple). I slap them on, and just press up.

Last edited: