GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Ha, right after I post this, Dieselgeek emailed me and said they can sell me a prototype MK7 Super Slider, and if it doesn't fit perfectly then I can return for a full refund. Order placed! Will follow up once it arrives and I install it.

Looking at their site, looks like you don’t need this if you have a dg short shifter kit.

Joel

Ready to race!
Correct, if you have the DG sigma 6 you already have this piece.
Pretty sure he has the OEM short shifter, which does front to back.

This only reduces side to side.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Correct, if you have the DG sigma 6 you already have this piece.
Pretty sure he has the OEM short shifter, which does front to back.

This only reduces side to side.

Yep, OEM Audi short shifter with new bushings.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
The prototype Dieselgeek Super Slider showed up and had a chance to install it. Everything went well and it fits great. Shifts definitely feel more positive, and it tightened up most of the play in the side to side bracket. However, I still have side to side slop in 1st/2nd, and to a lesser degree in 3rd/4th. 5th/6th still feels good.

I re-did the cable adjustments while I had it all apart. Maybe there's just some slop that's inherent in the system and can't be dialed out. Overall though, I'm definitely satisfied and would recommend Dieselgeek's shaft bushings and the super slider (if/when they release it for normal purchase). Honestly I should have just gone with the Sigma 6 to begin with! Oh well, live and learn.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
The prototype Dieselgeek Super Slider showed up and had a chance to install it. Everything went well and it fits great. Shifts definitely feel more positive, and it tightened up most of the play in the side to side bracket. However, I still have side to side slop in 1st/2nd, and to a lesser degree in 3rd/4th. 5th/6th still feels good.

I re-did the cable adjustments while I had it all apart. Maybe there's just some slop that's inherent in the system and can't be dialed out. Overall though, I'm definitely satisfied and would recommend Dieselgeek's shaft bushings and the super slider (if/when they release it for normal purchase). Honestly I should have just gone with the Sigma 6 to begin with! Oh well, live and learn.

My mechanic recommended the same thing after I told him I was gonna go Audi short shifter.

He said get the Sigma 6 and it’s probably all I’ll need. Well a year later with it, he wasn’t wrong haha. There’s definitely side to side movement for me when in gear. Might just need to be re-tightened... for now I’ll leave it alone until I upgrade the shifter bracket...

Hotfart

Ready to race!
My mechanic recommended the same thing after I told him I was gonna go Audi short shifter.

He said get the Sigma 6 and it’s probably all I’ll need. Well a year later with it, he wasn’t wrong haha. There’s definitely side to side movement for me when in gear. Might just need to be re-tightened... for now I’ll leave it alone until I upgrade the shifter bracket...

Yeah, I'll probably have to drive it around for a bit before I decide to either be happy with what I have, or break down and go Sigma 6. Regardless, it's WAY better now than with the OEM setup, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Nice thread. So pretty much everything that's oem needs to be replaced :D

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
No didn’t even know the superpin existed. I’ll be ordering it shortly and asking jay745 to handle it.
Mine arrives Wednesday. Should I rip apart my car after work this week to have it before the track this weekend? "Only" the center console needs to be removed for this one haha.

I'll admit that I've become a fanboy of DG. They are the only company addressing the problems with the VW shifter assembly. There is so much plastic and it's looking less than new on my car at not even 50k miles.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
How bad is it to get into the center console?
I'm expecting it's a lot worse the first time. Removing the front door interior was very straight forward, then again there's a lot of plastic I don't trust. Any piece that could break has a part number so... [emoji26]