GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Charged for a Recall?

W2SRH

Hi All, First post and not a good one

Having issues with a VW dealer charging for a recall and wondered if any other GTD drivers have had the same update and been charged. I was only going in for an oil service and ended up with a £371 bill for the privilege.

The recall is titled S-Lambda Probe EA288 at a cost of £267.64.

Dealer emailed on the 15th of december and called last week to chase but it seems like they are avoiding any explanation?

I always thought that a recall was to fix something for free before it becomes an issue??

Any input appreciated.

Steve. :confused:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry Steve, I do not have specific experience on this issue as I am not a GTD owner. However, I did find some information concerning a recall (24CV - snow flap emission fix) discussing if initial flap fix is unsuccessful results in oxygen sensor replacement. It appears related to what you had done.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481049

I would start with a letter to your dealer asking for a written explanation of recall work and charges for recall work. I would include a carbon copy to VW UK with a CC on bottom of letter to VW UK so dealer understands that VW UK is being made aware of the issue. If no written explanation is provided after two weeks, I would then write to VW UK.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't be paying that! If it's a recall then I've always had it done for free in the past, unless it's not considered as a safety recall? What age of GTD is this recall for and did they say what problem it was to solve? Interested to know if mine will be needing doing??

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
If you didn't ask for the work to be done and they didn't let you know they were doing it they you are not obliged to pay and you can insist they put the old one on foc. Warranty work is always free unless they warn you beforehand that because of modifications you may have voided it.

W2SRH

Update and thanks for the comments chaps.

Well I rang VW UK this morning as I was tired of waiting for the dealer and explained the situation, they then rang them directly and hey presto there seems to be no charge now??

So was it just them trying to make a quick buck or a genuine mistake? I will never know but can say I am a lot happier now this is the case but can't say I trust a dealer I have been using for 2 years and have spent around £1500 on servicing and consumables and been loyal to.

FYI. The recall is to fix an emissions error that the Euro 6 engines were supposed to be safe from after the dieselgate scandal, so any Mk7 GTD could be due this update?

All the best, Steve.

nv1r

Ready to race!
W2SRH: My GTD before I traded it in was due this recall, but I just traded it in without it being done so didn't have to go through that hassle, however, when they tried to get me to book it in they said it was free as it was a manufacturing defect they'd found.

Blharry

Passed Driver's Ed
I had this done a few weeks ago free of charge

W2SRH

Thanks chaps.

Found some posts from the US since that relate to the EU as well and it looks like this update is costing millions of euros for VW and is part of the dieselgate scandal.

LFTMON

Ready to race!
My car had been in and out the dealers about 5-6 times in 2017, do you think they already did this to my GTD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTD-flea

The replacement of the 2nd lambda probe (post catalytic converter) has nothing to do with the dieselgate. Only some production periods are affected and only vehicles with a Bosch lambda probe (there also lambda probes by manufacturer NTK). The replacement has the indication 23w6 (don't know if it's the same number outside Germany).

The document for 23w6 says that the lambda probe may become defective due to "hydrothermal aging".
The replacement is free of charge.