GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Superslow iphone charge via VW USB

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
When I plug my phone into the USB port, everything works great carplay-wise, but the charge barely works. I mean maybe 10 percent per hour. I consider it more a don't let the phone discharge type of deal.

Is this normal? It's not a huge deal, but wondering if this is unusual.

2017 GTI
iPhone 7+

Thanks!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I have two Mk7's and they both charge fine. The GTI has built-in USB and the GSW I use a USB adapter plugged into the 12v in front of the cupholders. They obviously charge slower when you also have the display on (such as for Waze, like I almost always do).

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Don't you wish waze was available in CarPlay. Maybe one day.

I'll try another new cable or something. Even when the phone is doing nothing at all, the charge is glacial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've seen the same thing. If using android auto, it might go u 5% in an hour. If using nav, essentially just maintains charge. Just keep a charger in center console for actual charging.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Car and Driver's tests of the USB in the Golf R at least gave it only a "fair" rating for charging speed, so I imagine the GTI is the same.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Don't you wish waze was available in CarPlay. Maybe one day.

I don't, unless they improve it. I'm an iPhone guy but have an Android phone as a backup as well. I've used both CarPlay and as of the other day, gave Android Auto a spin. Apple did a good job making everything simple and intuitive, with large text & buttons, for easy car operation. Google? Not so much. The text on the maps in both Google Maps and Waze is too small, at least on our 6.5" screens. Other controls are more fiddly than CarPlay, and the whole thing doesn't look very polished. Apple Maps on CarPlay is actually far superior IMHO, even if Apple's map data isn't up to snuff with either of the others - though I haven't had a problem in years in my meager usage of it. In iOS 11 beta, Apple has added speed limit display, which is a big plus.

I'm quite happy with the native VW software and don't want to fuss with plugging in my phone every time I get into the car. I find the MIB2 navigation to be quite good, and the integration with the center display for the turn-by-turn directions is great. All my music is on SD card, so I have that covered. It's great to have options - we really do have a great setup overall, as some mfr's continue to lag in offering CarPlay & Android Auto at all.

As for Waze or Google Maps ever appearing on CarPlay - don't hold your breath, will never happen.

Have a Belkin 2 x 2100 mA USB adapter plug and that one
charges at least twice as fast as the two factory USB ports.
I'd bet the factory ports do maximum 1000 mA each and this
isn't sufficient if you run several apps on your phone.

rreichar

I know this is an old thread but I had the same problem and solved it by switching cables. Original was new but when I swapped it for an Amazon Basics cable it charged much faster.