GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When to retire track pads

teemmy

Ready to race!
I have a set of carbotech xp8s and I was wondering when they should be replaced. They have maybe 3-4 track days on them and have about 7mm life in them. Doing a google search says brake pads should be replaced when they’re less than 1/4 inch thick. What do you guys follow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I usually replace pads every 4 trackdays or so or one race weekend. Replace those. You have them out anyways.. the more the material wears the less effective the pads are. Consider a ceramic carbon pad? I use carbon-carbon or carbon cermanic and the life is long.

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't track the GTI, but tracked plenty of other cars. I was constantly rotating tires every other session anyway and always checking the pads. Anyway I would swap out for new pads about at the half wear point. Really depends on the consumption rate of your pad. I ran hawk blues and they lasted a long time and I could easily go to under a half and know they were safe. Other pads that are labeled street/track are middle of the road and would wear faster so keep an eye on those. Best bet is to keep an extra set on hand at all times and check them after every session.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
I run G-loc and got through about 4 time attack races and 7 or 8 track days. They are similar to Carbotech.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Those pads are fine btw...I ran a set of gloc r12 down to nothing and had no issues at the track while there were on their last leg.