GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATR's OEM plus 2017 GTI Sport

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Just realized that I never posted a thread like this yet...

So here's what has been done to it so far:

Engine & Transmission:
-034 Density Line Performance Engine/Transmission Mounts (my review for them is on 034's site)
-HPA Motorsports dog-bone mount (ends wheel hop!)
-AWE Touring Edition exhaust.
-BFI heavyweight shift knob.
-BFI Alcantara shift boot with red stitching.
-Deleted the clutch spring and the delay valve

Suspension, Wheels & Tires:
-stock suspension

Summer setup:
Black Neuspeed RSe05
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

Winter setup:
-VW Nogaro wheels
-225/40 18 Nokian WRG3 tires

Form & Function:
-Genuine Euro Tail lights from BEC properly coded to euro spec lighting
-European power Folding Mirrors coded VIA VCDS
-30% F1 Pinnacle Ceramic tint.

ICE & interior:
-Helix Subwoofer and amp coded by the local dealer to my car.

Current mileage is sitting at 15k miles and climbing.

Wouldn't be complete without pix! :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20160925_162026.jpg
    IMG_20160925_162026.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 1,455
  • IMG_20160925_162045.jpg
    IMG_20160925_162045.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,366
  • IMG_20161030_135548.jpg
    IMG_20161030_135548.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMG_20161112_095228.jpg
    IMG_20161112_095228.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,625
Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I had the dieselgeek sigma 6 short shifter and APR's cable shifter bracket installed for quite a while. But I recently went back to stock shift linkage.

Reason why was three reasons, I need to take my car back to the dealer to investigate a transmission rattle. Sounds like things are simply a bit loose in the gearbox. I'm considering a Golf R w/DSG so going back to stock is a possibility. And finally a good friend of mine recently bought a mk6 Golf R. His stock shifter feels VERY vague and we both agreed that he needed the short shifter more then I LOL :D

Sooo, my thoughts are that the shifting with the stock linkage is actually better suited to the nature of the car as a whole. If I do keep the car I'll likely go with shorty's short shifter and the 034 shifter bushings.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
On to the tires...

I got the Nokian WRG3 last year a couple months after I bought the car. Primarally because the stock tires SUCKED in all weather conditions. Put it simply, the WRG3's are as good in the wet as the stock hankooks were in the dry.

The WRG3's also did well in the one small snow storm that we had last winter.

I chose these guys because of the great reviews that I've read on how well they do in all weather conditions. They truly are all weather tires. And bonus points that they are also V rated in the stock tire size 225-45-18 :cool:

Plan is to keep these as the winter tires since they are very well suited to the Mid Atlantic clement in the cooler months.

I'm still not sure if I'd rock 18's or 17's in the summer...
Though I'm kinda leaning to 17's since I both bent a wheel and nippled a tire on a pothole on 695 :mad:

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
AWE Track edition exhaust...

So I'll just say this, this exhaust with the stock downpips really pair well!
Yep, it's loud. But only when your right foot makes it loud. when cursing it's pretty unobtrusive. Drone is there, but it's minimal, Only really there around 2-3krpm under heavy load.

Attachments

• IMG_20170410_191122.jpg
    IMG_20170410_191122.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_20170410_191329_01.jpg
    IMG_20170410_191329_01.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,140
  • IMG_20170410_190922.jpg
    IMG_20170410_190922.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_20170410_190723.jpg
    IMG_20170410_190723.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,162
  • IMG_20170410_190343.jpg
    IMG_20170410_190343.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_20170412_195246_01.jpg
    IMG_20170412_195246_01.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1,146
  • IMG_20170411_192701_01.jpg
    IMG_20170411_192701_01.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMG_20170411_192713_01_01.jpg
    IMG_20170411_192713_01_01.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,182
Last edited:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
AWE Track edition exhaust...

So I'll just say this, this exhaust with the stock downpips really pair well!
Yep, it's loud. But only when your right foot makes it loud. when cursing it's pretty unobtrusive. Drone is there, but it's minimal, Only really there around 2-3krpm under heavy load.
Beautiful description. I love mine!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
034 Density Line Motor mounts...

Link to the mounts:
https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...a3-s3-tt-tts-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r.html

These are the mounts these cars should come with. Squashed wheel hop that made passengers wonder and ask "what's wrong with your car?" when I did a hard pull in 1st gear.

NVH is stock like. Even with the stock dogbone there's a noticeable difference with shifting feeling more secure.

Something that I didn't expect...
Going over bumps and such on the highway the front end doesn't bounce around as much. Feels more planted.

My opinion is to get the 034 mounts that if you are after stiffer engine and transmission mounts with a miniscule amount of NVH (only feel a small difference at startup).

Very OEM+ feeling!

The HPA mount really pulled everything together!
There was pretty much no increase in NVH.
Shfting feels much more secure and it has reduced wheel hop quite a bit. It's still there, but no where near as bad as stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_142212_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170513_142212_HDR.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,509
Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Helix Subwoofer

I wasn't too happy with the stock speakers. really sounded flat compared to the Dynaudio system in my mk6 TDI. Once the price for this system dropped from $600+ to $260 at the dealer I jumped on it!

Bass is insane! Really SOLID bottom end, shakes the rear view like a BOSS if I crank it up a bit too :D
The built in EQ really helped all the other speakers sound MUCH better.

I typically keep the bass setting flat or a notch or two below flat. Mids are flat and highs are bumped up a few notches.

Overall if you're on the fence for one of these, just buy it! it really is a no brainier if you value sound quality without spending a ton of cash to upgrade the speakers and amps.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
BFI heavyweight shift knob

I bought this because at the time I wasn't happy with the feeling of the stock knob paired with the diesel geek short shifter.

This shift knob really looks the part along with helping to counterweight the short shifter that deleted the stock counterweight.

I put the aftermarket shift pattern coin on the shifter as well. Sorry forget where exactly I got it :(

I initially used the stock boot with the shifter. I was not impressed with the fitment and should have just used the alcantara boot to feel with it. Really looks great! though it is a tad big/baggy for the shorter shift knob.

So, now that I went back to stock the shift feel is still great. Almost effortless compared to the dieselgeek shifter. Because the knob shifts lower it still has a shorter throw than stock. Really nice feel overall! though I might spring for a CSS shifter along with shorties if I do keep the car.

Attachments

• IMG_20170324_134935.jpg
    IMG_20170324_134935.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,238
Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
15,000 miles in one year...

So here's how I feel after one year of ownership and maybe a little more into why I'm considering buying a Golf R...

I'll start by saying I really love this car and enjoy the drive more then any previous car I've owned. Very engaging to the driver for sure!!

I've had a small accident with a raccoon at 60mph on my way home from H2o... Less then one month after buying my first new car. Cherry popped, I had the car fixed at a local auto body shop who did a decent job with color matching the front bumper to the rest of the car. I should note that rockets relatives have some stiff lawyers. After a few court appearances with the furry buggers and everything settled we all agreed to move on. Tough to explain to those cute little guys that I didn't see their family member until it was too late with it being dusk :(

So as far as issues that I've had with the car? All have been minor. First of which is the infamous b-pillar rattle that seems to only happen in warmer weather. I was going to have it looked at a local dealer, but it hasn't done it for about a week since the weather got cool and my appointment is next week to have the issue looked at.

The other issue that I've had is a rattly gearbox at idle. Doesn't sound "broke" per say, but it does make a rattle noise at idle when fully up to temp. I've also noticed that when in neutral or the clutch is in and I hit a sharp bump I can hear a very definite rattle come from the gear box.

Other than those issues it's been trouble free.

So, on to the reasons why I'm considering a Golf R...
Short version is, simply traction. And with my power goals up there with about what the Golf R makes stock it seems to be a pretty wise move to trade up sooner rather then later.

More reasons and the longer version here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34524

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I had the diesel geek sigma 6 short shifter and APR shifter cable bracket in the engine bay. Inside the car I had BFI heavy weight shift knob and Alcantara shift boot. The shift action is very direct. You KNOW when the transmission is in gear or not.

That said, I had to go back to stock recently because the car needed to have a visit to the dealership to investigate a transmission rattle.

Going from a short shifter back to stock isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only complaint I have is that it feels a little vague. That can be fixed with metal bushings.

I'm actually selling the short shifter to a buddy that recently picked up a mk6 Golf R. He desperately needs it more than I do.

My future plans are to get the metal bushings and OEM metal cable bracket and all metal OEM+ short shifter. Something like the "shorty's" short shifter.

The BFI short shifter and shift boot is unofficially for sale. I think I might go for the OEM Club sport shift knob.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
those ECS cable ends are completely unnecessary. Just get the metal bushings.
I did actually get the 42DD Metal bushings, but since the fore and aft shifter already has a plastic solid bushing I don't really think it's necessary to add bushings to the stock shifter. So for now I'll just keep it as is. Adjustment is a snap, literally, with the stock cable ends.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
15,000 miles in one year...

So here's how I feel after one year of ownership and maybe a little more into why I'm considering buying a Golf R...

I'll start by saying I really love this car and enjoy the drive more then any previous car I've owned. Very engaging to the driver for sure!!

I've had a small accident with a raccoon at 60mph on my way home from H2o... Less then one month after buying my first new car. Cherry popped, I had the car fixed at a local auto body shop who did a decent job with color matching the front bumper to the rest of the car. I should note that rockets relatives have some stiff lawyers. After a few court appearances with the furry buggers and everything settled we all agreed to move on. Tough to explain to those cute little guys that I didn't see their family member until it was too late with it being dusk :(

So as far as issues that I've had with the car? All have been minor. First of which is the infamous b-pillar rattle that seems to only happen in warmer weather. I was going to have it looked at a local dealer, but it hasn't done it for about a week since the weather got cool and my appointment is next week to have the issue looked at.

The other issue that I've had is a rattly gearbox at idle. Doesn't sound "broke" per say, but it does make a rattle noise at idle when fully up to temp. I've also noticed that when in neutral or the clutch is in and I hit a sharp bump I can hear a very definite rattle come from the gear box.

Other than those issues it's been trouble free.

So, on to the reasons why I'm considering a Golf R...
Short version is, simply traction. And with my power goals up there with about what the Golf R makes stock it seems to be a pretty wise move to trade up sooner rather then later.

More reasons and the longer version here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34524

I had that same B Pillar rattle on the driver side. I bought my car September 2016 which it made it nearly everyday even if it was a smooth road etc. Then the winter came, and didn't hear a peep out of the car. Then this year once everything melted it was back. I made the appointment sometime in June of this year. They had the car for about a week to drop the headliner and take care of it. There was a VW bulletin service for this particular issue so I was assured that the VW Tech from VWOA was going to assure it was gone. Now with the majority of the summer behind us I hear it maybe once or twice out of a month where before it was everyday for a couple months leading up to the winter. I'm just going to live with that since its a huge improvement. The only negative to it all was because of the infamous greasy hands of techs my headliner being beige and some of the trim pieces had shit all over them. The dealer compensated with a couple oil changes and new front/rear wipers. I had my detail guy take it all out because I didn't trust the dealers contacts to get it fixed. All in all it was worth it. This was the only issue in my car, so I can sleep easier at night haha! :)