GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD aftermarket exhausts

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Just a quick question please. I notice that a few on here have had aftermarket exhaust systems fitted to their GTD's, which I am also considering. Mine is the non sport and sound pack, so doesn't have in inbuilt speaker, and therefore has a rear box.

I've always preferred the GTI style outlets on each side to the twin same side set-up that the GTD and nearly every other MK7 has, but a number of the systems I've looked at don't have rear silencers (or any for that matter). I'm considering this only for looks (not performance), but don't want to ruin the refinement the car has on the motorway, so whilst a nice rasp on pulling sharply away would be welcome, when cruising, I need a quiet system similar to stock.

For these "unresonated" systems without silencers, are they really much louder than stock and become boomy and tiresome after a bit, or as I've read that the DPF strangles most of the sound anyway, and the rest of the exhaust (resonated or non-resonated) doesn't make much of a difference ?

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Just a quick question please. I notice that a few on here have had aftermarket exhaust systems fitted to their GTD's, which I am also considering. Mine is the non sport and sound pack, so doesn't have in inbuilt speaker, and therefore has a rear box.

I've always preferred the GTI style outlets on each side to the twin same side set-up that the GTD and nearly every other MK7 has, but a number of the systems I've looked at don't have rear silencers (or any for that matter). I'm considering this only for looks (not performance), but don't want to ruin the refinement the car has on the motorway, so whilst a nice rasp on pulling sharply away would be welcome, when cruising, I need a quiet system similar to stock.

For these "unresonated" systems without silencers, are they really much louder than stock and become boomy and tiresome after a bit, or as I've read that the DPF strangles most of the sound anyway, and the rest of the exhaust (resonated or non-resonated) doesn't make much of a difference ?

I'm really shocked, VW dont offer this as an option.

On another note, how do you find the ACC?. Off topic slightly, a GLC was parked next to me the other day & the Golf is so more pleasing on the eye:).

I got talking to the GLC owner & he said that the engine is noisy & not much fun to drive hard. Great when set to comfort. But it's got me thinking another GTD again :confused::confused:

Rappy:cool:

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Rappy, I have to admit I do hanker sometimes for a petrol engined GTI or R, for the smoothness, quietness and shear performance, but then when I look at the MPG these owners are typically getting it makes me think again. No matter how I drive mine, in 2½ years, I have never (not even once) got less than 40mpg, and typically average high forties with mid to high fifties easily achievable on a good run (at legal speeds).

Coupled with the "real world" performance differences between say a GTI and a GTD, (0-60 1 second difference, 50-70 in third about 0.7 seconds difference - according to VW driver magazine), then unless you are driving both cars "balls"out, I doubt real world performance wouldn't be that noticeable - don;'t get me wrong, the GTI is faster, but not by a huge margin - you would have to move to an R for that.

The more I look around at replacements, the more I come to the conclusion that the GTD is really a pretty much perfect all rounder, so have decided to keep mine, purchase it outright, and run it for 5-6 years (or until the MK8 GTI/GTD are launched and have been available for a year or so).

What would I change - well if I ordered again, I would go for the same options but would add the sport and sound package (wasn't available when I got mine), lane assist (for the adaptive front lighting), and Premium phone / Heated screen (just for the heated screen), and the colour, well as much as I like my Pure white, next time it would have to be CSG - love that colour, and wished I'd have gone for it.

As for ACC (and I assume you mean adaptive chassis control), yes, love it and would 100% spec it again. Unlike my Scirocco where the difference between comfort / normal /sport was very subtle and difficult to tell apart, on the MK7 it's a world apart and setting it to comfort when doing a long journey turns an already very competent car into a luxury long distance cruiser - it really is that good. Then when on the twisty stuff, sport mode really firms things up and makes it much more chuckable. An expensive option, but for me at least, one I would definitely check again.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Forgot to add, about the only thing I find slightly irritating about the GTD Is that the rear bumper / lower valance and exhaust setup, is the same as any old Golf, be it a GTD, GT or a Match. Indeed many round my way have added the chrome tailpipe tips, so unless you know what you are looking for (i.e. the windows side spoilers and the black underside of the main spoiler), they all look the same from the back (all right, I know the GTD has LED taillights).

VW did a good job making sure the GTI and R look different enough with the unique exhaust systems and valances, just a shame they didn't do that on the GTD, hence the reason I'm looking for an atheistic chance, rather than a performance change.

ROBK75

Ready to race!
Forgot to add, about the only thing I find slightly irritating about the GTD Is that the rear bumper / lower valance and exhaust setup, is the same as any old Golf, be it a GTD, GT or a Match. Indeed many round my way have added the chrome tailpipe tips, so unless you know what you are looking for (i.e. the windows side spoilers and the black underside of the main spoiler), they all look the same from the back (all right, I know the GTD has LED taillights).

VW did a good job making sure the GTI and R look different enough with the unique exhaust systems and valances, just a shame they didn't do that on the GTD, hence the reason I'm looking for an atheistic chance, rather than a performance change.

I've got the non-resonated Milltek system linked above and like you noticed that the bland rear valance lets things down a bit, so I got one of these:

http://www.body-kit.co.uk/product.php/14089/3296/vw-golf-7-12-rear-apron-insert-carbon-look

I actually got it from here for a bit cheaper but their website isn't working:

On-Line Autosport Limited
Unit 1, Titan Way
Britannia Enterprise Park, WS149TT Staffordshire
Fon: 0044 1543252010

s7wag

Ready to race!
If you go with a GTI twin exit style Milltek resonated which just has the front silencer and no rear silencer I think you'll find that just fine in terms of noise levels.
VW OEM GTI style rear diffuser is around £75. Straight swap.

It'll look the same as mine from the rear.

Steve

ROBK75

Ready to race!
Well had this fitted today, I'm still not 100% sold on it, I like it from some angles but think it looks a bit much from others, I think I'm going to get the top side of it painted red to match the car, just the bit which protrudes out and slopes down, leaving the underneath part black.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• WP_20160304_17_22_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160304_17_22_04_Pro.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 4,667
  • WP_20160304_17_21_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160304_17_21_54_Pro.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 4,112
  • WP_20160304_17_21_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160304_17_21_47_Pro.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 4,142
  • WP_20160304_17_21_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160304_17_21_40_Pro.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 4,999

PTok72

Passed Driver's Ed
Well had this fitted today, I'm still not 100% sold on it, I like it from some angles but think it looks a bit much from others, I think I'm going to get the top side of it painted red to match the car, just the bit which protrudes out and slopes down, leaving the underneath part black.

What do you guys think?

I think it looks good as it is Rob.
Was it difficult to fit?