GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #69
ATR

Drives: Pure White 2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh/AWE View Post
Cheers to you, A. Did you ever get the thing installed yet? Ha. It's been a while, hasn't it? You are strong against anticipation, it seems.
Oh man you have no idea...

Initially I went to NGP during the tax season sale. Put in a reservation for the Touring exhaust and setup a appointment for the install.

That same night I found someone localish that was selling the track edition plus trade for the oem exhaust. Seemed perfect. Canceled the Touring exhaust at NGP and setup a time to meet with him at a local shop. Twice he couldn't make it to the shop so I just gave up on that one and went back to the drawing board...

AWE continues to be a top contender in my search for what I'm looking for.

So what am I looking for in a exhaust?
-stock sounding when idling and when I'm cruising at partial throttle. A little bit of extra noise when lightly accelerating is fine. Just nothing over the top sound wise.
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #70
SouthSideGti

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post

Initially I went to NGP during the tax season sale. Put in a reservation for the Touring exhaust and setup a appointment for the install.

That same night I found someone localish that was selling the track edition plus trade for the oem exhaust. Seemed perfect. Canceled the Touring exhaust at NGP and setup a time to meet with him at a local shop. Twice he couldn't make it to the shop so I just gave up on that one and went back to the drawing board...

-stock sounding when idling and when I'm cruising at partial throttle. A little bit of extra noise when lightly accelerating is fine. Just nothing over the top sound wise.
You need to jump back on the touring path. It's a vast improvement over stock and it does not annoy when cruising above 60.

I've had mine installed now for 1500 miles and I haven't once said "I wish I got the track".
2015 GTI Autobahn Carbon steel Grey // AWE Touring Edition Catback // Rotiform BLQ 18x8.5 ET35 // MPSS 225/40/R18 // Vogtland Coilovers // H&R Sway Bars // APR Intake & Charge Pipe // APR Stage 1 High Output Tune // MK7 Euro Tail Lights // OBDEleven Available (Seattle Area)
SouthSideGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:42 AM   #71
Kei_Loper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHen View Post
*IF YOU PLAN TO STAY WITH THE STOCK DOWNPIPE

**DING. DING. DING. WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

AWE Track was a tale of two exhausts for me. It was absolutely wonderful with the stock downpipe. It was mother f***ing loud with the AWE DP. Not ricey - just mother f***ing loud. It was fine at steady-state highway cruising 55-75 mph, but vary the throttle or do any accelerating and it's mother f***ing loud. You will hear and feel it, all day, every day. Now don't get me wrong. Are there times when you'd like to spray the MF'er behind you with loud? Yes. But not all day, every day.

So the moral here: Ask yourself, "am I ever going to modify this car to a point where a downpipe is in the plans?" If the answer to that is "yes," then the Touring is the way to go. Trust me.
This is exactly what I gathered about these exhausts. My mk6 GLi had a few exhausts over my time, and I found out this exact thing. I first went with a Borla which was similar to the AWE track stuff in that it had 1 muffler and no resonator. It sounded AMAZING and perfect when I got it, but.....when I put a downpipe on the car, it all went wrong. I got rid of that one, and got the Magnaflow setup (more like the touring), and once again, it was perfect.

I agree that stock dp is probably best for the track exhaust if you want more than stock, but not crazy noise, and not barely any more noise. Touring for anything further, for sure.

Kei
Kei_Loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #72
Josh/AWE

Drives: GTI
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideGti View Post
You need to jump back on the touring path. It's a vast improvement over stock and it does not annoy when cruising above 60.

I've had mine installed now for 1500 miles and I haven't once said "I wish I got the track".
SouthSide has a good point, A. I endorse the recommendation after reading what you're after.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #73
ATR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideGti View Post

Quote:
SouthSide has a good point, A. I endorse the recommendation after reading what you're after.
Thanks guys! I think that'll be the path I go with
It helps that the Touring exhaust is several hundred dollars less than the other exhaust I'm considering
Old 03-31-2017, 02:59 AM   #74
normcaldwell

Drives: 2016 MK7 GTI
Quote:
Thanks guys! I think that'll be the path I go with
It helps that the Touring exhaust is several hundred dollars less than the other exhaust I'm considering
Are you planning to run the Touring with the stock downpipe, or an aftermarket DP?
Either way, I'm interested in your take once it's installed and warmed up.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:32 AM   #75
ATR

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcaldwell View Post
Are you planning to run the Touring with the stock downpipe, or an aftermarket DP?
Either way, I'm interested in your take once it's installed and warmed up.
Long run plans include awe's downpipe.

I'm thinking touring with stock downpipe. Though I'm strongly considering the track cat back with stock downpipe to start with.

The great thing about AWE is they are one of a very few if not the only exhaust manufacturer that offer conversion kits. So if I change my mind I can always get the conversation kit
Old 03-31-2017, 03:45 AM   #76
normcaldwell

Drives: 2016 MK7 GTI
Quote:
Long run plans include awe's downpipe.

I'm thinking touring with stock downpipe. Though I'm strongly considering the track cat back with stock downpipe to start with.

The great thing about AWE is they are one of a very few if not the only exhaust manufacturer that offer conversion kits. So if I change my mind I can always get the conversation kit
It is indeed a good option to have; looks like a number of folks have started with stock dp/awe track, and converted from there.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:31 AM   #77
psychonosspaz

Drives: 2016 White VW GTI SE 6 MT (PP, LP, MMs)
If going aftermarket DP, the touring is pry best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 04:56 AM   #78
ATR

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonosspaz View Post
If going aftermarket DP, the touring is pry best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, agree 100%.

So after watching and more importantly listening to the AWE videos in 1080p on youtube with a pair of high end headphones (I'm a audiophile too) here is my take on the exhausts. Bare in mind these thoughts are only from what I can hear in the videos. I have yet to hear these exhausts in person

I just listened to both the track and touring exhaust (with stock DP) videos back to back and there is very little difference in volume between the two from what I hear. The touring is more subdued when those DSG shifts happen. Track edition seems to let those cracks out more.

Adding the performance downpipe to the picture and things liven up very fast.

Track is just obscene for the street. Sounds great, but I must be getting old. That combo is just too loud for me

Touring + AWE Downpipe? Wow! sounds savage when you stomp on it
Putting along doesn't sound too bad, though you KNOW something has been done to the exhaust. Seems universal once you get a downpipe in the picture you KNOW something is going on here

I'm not sure if it's too loud or not though. Really hard to judge from the video. I'd love to hear what it sounds like next to a stock car. Even better I'd love to get a ride along in a touring + downpipe car to see what it sounds like.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #79
Josh/AWE

Quote:
Yep, agree 100%.

So after watching and more importantly listening to the AWE videos in 1080p on youtube with a pair of high end headphones (I'm a audiophile too) here is my take on the exhausts. Bare in mind these thoughts are only from what I can hear in the videos. I have yet to hear these exhausts in person

I just listened to both the track and touring exhaust (with stock DP) videos back to back and there is very little difference in volume between the two from what I hear. The touring is more subdued when those DSG shifts happen. Track edition seems to let those cracks out more.

Adding the performance downpipe to the picture and things liven up very fast.

Track is just obscene for the street. Sounds great, but I must be getting old. That combo is just too loud for me

Touring + AWE Downpipe? Wow! sounds savage when you stomp on it
Putting along doesn't sound too bad, though you KNOW something has been done to the exhaust. Seems universal once you get a downpipe in the picture you KNOW something is going on here

I'm not sure if it's too loud or not though. Really hard to judge from the video. I'd love to hear what it sounds like next to a stock car. Even better I'd love to get a ride along in a touring + downpipe car to see what it sounds like.
Maybe there's some folks from the BMore area that could meet up with you?
Old 03-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #80
Excelerate Rep

Drives: Audi's and VW's
We have 9 track edition systems in stock but only 1 Diamond Black Touring Edition here:

I prefer the Touring edition myself. Even with the stock downpipe it is still an improvement over stock in all areas, but it is by far the most level toned system inside the car. You don't get any drone with the stock downpipe, only a smidge with the downpipe. I am picky and find it very driveable and controllable with your foot/sense.

24/7 Online Store | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | You Tube | Flickr
Excelerate Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #81
TheGreekFreak

Drives: 2017 Tornado Red 6MT GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelerate Rep View Post
I prefer the Touring edition myself. Even with the stock downpipe it is still an improvement over stock in all areas, but it is by far the most level toned system inside the car. You don't get any drone with the stock downpipe, only a smidge with the downpipe. I am picky and find it very driveable and controllable with your foot/sense.
Really? I feel like anything quieter than the track on the stock DP is a very small difference in sound vs the OEM catback for the price of a full replacement. That's coming from someone with tinnitus in both ears who is hypersensitive to loud noises or any type of drone. Track seems PERFECT for the stock DP, should have been how the car came from the factory and would have made the stupid soundaktor an unnecessary addition (oh ya, thanks for forcing us to pay for this VW instead of making it an optional extra for the few that wanted it!)

With a DP, I would definitely go touring. My ears probably wouldn't handle the track + DP. Everyone has different tolerance levels but I'm sure potential buyers appreciate hearing everyone's input. Helped me figure out what I wanted after months of research!
Old 04-01-2017, 04:49 AM   #82
ATR

Quote:
Maybe there's some folks from the BMore area that could meet up with you?
Honestly, i just have to weigh the options out. I think that my decision is to stay with AWE to support a great local company. You guys are only 2 hours away from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelerate Rep View Post
We have 9 track edition systems in stock but only 1 Diamond Black Touring Edition here:

Very nice!

How's the free shipping work?
Tax free to Maryland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekFreak View Post
Really? I feel like anything quieter than the track on the stock DP is a very small difference in sound vs the OEM catback for the price of a full replacement. That's coming from someone with tinnitus in both ears who is hypersensitive to loud noises or any type of drone. Track seems PERFECT for the stock DP, should have been how the car came from the factory and would have made the stupid soundaktor an unnecessary addition (oh ya, thanks for forcing us to pay for this VW instead of making it an optional extra for the few that wanted it!)

With a DP, I would definitely go touring. My ears probably wouldn't handle the track + DP. Everyone has different tolerance levels but I'm sure potential buyers appreciate hearing everyone's input. Helped me figure out what I wanted after months of research!
The track edition sounds similar to the Touring edition when connected to the AWE downpipe.

But videos don't do exhausts justice. You'd really need some high end equipment to get the full spectrum of sound.

Thanks a lot guys for helping me with my decision.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #83
Josh/AWE

Checking in to see how everyone is doing, newly equipped drivers and not so new!

Also reminding you if you ever need me, I am here
Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #84
LG3MK7

Happy with my touring and custom dp. Deep and throaty but still quiet down low, sounds awesome up in higher rpms. Just wish they would have put a hanger on the muffler so I can attach to the hanger on the car and prevent it from sagging.
LG3MK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #85
Josh/AWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG3MK7 View Post
Happy with my touring and custom dp. Deep and throaty but still quiet down low, sounds awesome up in higher rpms. Just wish they would have put a hanger on the muffler so I can attach to the hanger on the car and prevent it from sagging.
Glad you're enjoying it!

The muffler will suck up to the belly by giving the coordinating clamps some extra "oomph." The clamps can take it. Give it a try.