GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #171
LastDragon

Drives: 2017 GTI mk7
Very nice. From what date would people be getting the new piece versions? Just curious.

2013 ford taurus SHO 430+WHP (sold)

2013 GTI mk6 APR stage 2 (sold)

Last edited by LastDragon; 01-23-2018 at 04:20 PM.
LastDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #172
Mother

Drives: 2017 Night Blue GTI Sport
I'm sure you guys did dyno tests, etc, etc and I'm also sure my car will never be at a power level where it would make a difference, but the new y seems to make the exhaust flow change directions a lot more quickly.

Any reason why, when developing the stamping, you went with that design over something more similar to the original design or say, a Magnaflow 10778?
Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #173
Josh/AWE

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother View Post
I'm sure you guys did dyno tests, etc, etc and I'm also sure my car will never be at a power level where it would make a difference, but the new y seems to make the exhaust flow change directions a lot more quickly.

Any reason why, when developing the stamping, you went with that design over something more similar to the original design or say, a Magnaflow 10778?
Correctamundo. Modeling showed no effect on flow, nor has our real-world testing showed any deviation from the original design. This compact stamping opened up opportunities to use it on other products in our catalog -- to double dip, if you will.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #174
Mother

Drives: 2017 Night Blue GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh/AWE View Post
Correctamundo. Modeling showed no effect on flow, nor has our real-world testing showed any deviation from the original design. This compact stamping opened up opportunities to use it on other products in our catalog -- to double dip, if you will.
That makes perfect sense.
Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #175
ATR

Drives: Pure White 2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Cool

Quote:
Due to the volume of this exhaust suite, investment in tooling for a stamped y-pipe merge was justified. Doing so provided a significant increase in efficiency and manufacturability.
I figured as much. I knew it was a really high volume system considering how many GTI's there are out there.

Quote:
Fantastic!
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #176
bkuu

Drives: 16' GLI DSG SE (RIP), 17' GTI Sport DSG
+1 for awe exhaust. I got the tour setup at first but really wanted more sound so got the track conversion as well *DOH!*. Oh well , I can save the tour when I decide to get a DP. Customer service was top notch, when I emailed them about a clamp breaking they sent me a new one free of charge even though I offer to pay. Thanks AWE!
bkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:17 AM   #177
TastyPancakes

Drives: '17 GTI SE CSG w/DSG
Installed the Performance Downpipe this past weekend coupled with the Track catback I've had on since July.... My god this thing screams now. Definite increase in throttle response and power coupled with a quicker spool. Im really enjoying it for now and will see how I feel after a few months to see if I should convert to the touring setup. DSG farts above 4k @ full throttle are addictive, however there is drone 2.1k-3k so if you are worried about that then I would recommend the touring catback to mitigate that a bit.

Another quality part from AWE that delivers!
TastyPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #178
Josh/AWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyPancakes View Post
Installed the Performance Downpipe this past weekend coupled with the Track catback I've had on since July.... My god this thing screams now. Definite increase in throttle response and power coupled with a quicker spool. Im really enjoying it for now and will see how I feel after a few months to see if I should convert to the touring setup. DSG farts above 4k @ full throttle are addictive, however there is drone 2.1k-3k so if you are worried about that then I would recommend the touring catback to mitigate that a bit.

Another quality part from AWE that delivers!
Glad you're all buttoned up rumblin', my friend!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #179
Josh/AWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuu View Post
+1 for awe exhaust. I got the tour setup at first but really wanted more sound so got the track conversion as well *DOH!*. Oh well , I can save the tour when I decide to get a DP. Customer service was top notch, when I emailed them about a clamp breaking they sent me a new one free of charge even though I offer to pay. Thanks AWE!
Preparation is never a bad thing.

Apologies for the clamp but thank you for the patience while waiting for the new one to arrive.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #180
Josh/AWE

Droppin' in to see how everyone is doing!

Also, 7.5 owners: good things coming your way.

Finally, someone reached out to me asking about the resonators in our Touring Edition configuration (or the conversion kit - whichever you prefer to call it), particularly if they were ours... or some off the shelf unit, and if they were hollow. Below is an image of a batch of mid sections straight from production, and I'm here to inform anyone who may be wondering -- we build them ourselves, and they are not hollow. They feature a special blend of acoustic packing material specific for the Mk7, with downpipe tones in mind.

As always, here for questions and to chat! Hoping all is good for everyone.