GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
boats'n hoes

Drives: Golf GTI performance pack + pan sunroof 64 plate
clutch slip on das waltauto approved gti?

hi,
I've just bought a manual gti with 28000 on the clock 5 days ago from a VW garage. After recent snow tonight has the been the first night I've been able to have a good blast out in it and i noticed in 6th with full throttle the revs jumped up at 3000 rpm to 4500 and back down, I've had a clutch go in a similar way before so i just wanted to know if everyone agrees it's clutch issues?
It claims in the 142 point pre sale check that the clutch had been checked. how i don't know but i do know i should be able to get a free repair or my money back if it comes to it under the consumer rights act.
I'm also wondering if the stock clutch last longer than the current mileage if it's respected more in the peak torque rev range, i want to keep the car completely standard to be honest as i want to keep the warranty as valid as possible and trade it in for a R in a year or so.
i have searched for this topic but i failed to find anything, i'm sure it's just me being a noob so thanks for any advice guys!
boats'n hoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Reggie Enchilada

Drives: MK7 GTI
You shouldn't be going WOT in 5th or 6th at 3k rpm. Stock clutches are known to be weak on MK7's. Plenty of people have seen slip at less mileage than you. Going WOT in 5th or 6th at low RPM is a surefire way to kill a clutch
Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
ashiun

Drives: 2015 MK7 GTI Autobahn w/ Leather, Tech, Lighting
While true, it shouldn't slip so hard on a clutch that isn't already worn out, should it?
2015 Autobahn GTI | 5150 Cobb Tuned | BMS Intake, TIP, TMD | CTS Turbo catted DP + custom catback | CTS Turbo SMIC | RS7 Beru spark plugs | DIY TTRS Clutch | Emmanuele Design lowering springs | 034 motor + transmission mounts + dogbone insert | Shifter Bracket + Bushings. Plans: KW V1 Coilovers, IS38
ashiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Reggie Enchilada

Slipping means that the clutch is worn out....
Generally speaking, that is

Last edited by Reggie Enchilada; 01-23-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Reggie Enchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
boats'n hoes

Yeah i wouldn't normally drive like that but i read that that's a good way of seeing if the clutch is on the way out and since I've only driven about 100 miles in it i don't think they could say it's down to me. I have also noticed the revs pause slightly as they hit 4500 in 4th and above with not even full throttle, i presume that's connected some how.
Surely you would think that a slipping clutch would count as a fail on the das welt check and be repaired before sale but i guess it's probably not worth the paper it's printed on.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Boost_Junkie

Drives: '17 MK7 GTI
Sounds like it was traded in for a reason...
Boost_Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Oldschoolmk7

Drives: Mk7 GTI
OMG. And some people argued it had nothing to do with the driver. Lol...
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
radoroc

Drives: 17 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Enchilada View Post
Slipping means that the clutch is worn out....
Generally speaking, that is
In these cars it generally means that the clutch can't handle the power.
radoroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
Reggie Enchilada

Quote:
Originally Posted by boats'n hoes View Post
Yeah i wouldn't normally drive like that but i read that that's a good way of seeing if the clutch is on the way out and since I've only driven about 100 miles in it i don't think they could say it's down to me. I have also noticed the revs pause slightly as they hit 4500 in 4th and above with not even full throttle, i presume that's connected some how.
Surely you would think that a slipping clutch would count as a fail on the das welt check and be repaired before sale but i guess it's probably not worth the paper it's printed on.
You're right, it's definitely a torture test for the clutch. I'm not sure if you'll have any luck with getting them to chip in on the replacement clutch, but good luck.
Those "100 point inspections" are a joke. I can almost guarantee that they spent all of two minutes checking the oil and writing check-marks on that worthless piece of paper.
Since you'll have to replace it sooner rather than later, you might as well take the opportunity to upgrade it. You might want to check things like the oil, spark plugs, and brakes also.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
boats'n hoes

hopefully, or at least some discount as a good will gesture. I've been looking at the SACHS performance clutch which seems to be my best option if i'm keeping the map stock and drive as standard as possible.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
JC_451

Drives: 2017 GTi Sport 6MT
Unless you're the worst manual transmission operator in the history of the world there's no way you could kill the clutch that was in good shape in 5 days.

I think you should be aggressive with getting a serious discount on labor on the new clutch install.

The clutch had to be compromised prior to purchase.
JC_451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #12
dr_mk7_il

Drives: 16 GTI 6MT
Can you confirm the car is not flashed?
I slip with JB4 on medium boost around 3k but dialed down a bit and its fine.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 PM   #13
boats'n hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_451 View Post
Unless you're the worst manual transmission operator in the history of the world there's no way you could kill the clutch that was in good shape in 5 days.

I think you should be aggressive with getting a serious discount on labor on the new clutch install.

The clutch had to be compromised prior to purchase.
well i like to think not, my previous car was a ten year old leon fr tdi 170 with a stage 1 map to 220 bhp and i drove that for a year on the map with no issues. think i need to adapt to petrol better though as I've always had a dirty diesel so not used to having so much gear to use.
Here in the UK the consumer rights act says that a vehicle must be of satisfactory quality and meet the description given and since it's in black and white on the pre-sale check that the clutch was in good condition they can't argue with replacing it free of charge.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #14
JC_451

Drives: 2017 GTi Sport 6MT
Well I think they might be able to argue that you killed it, especially if you tell them about the WOT in 6th, but I do seriously doubt that's what happened.

I somehow got the idea in my head that you were upgrading the clutch, sorry for the confusion on that front.
JC_451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #15
boats'n hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mk7_il View Post
Can you confirm the car is not flashed?
I slip with JB4 on medium boost around 3k but dialed down a bit and its fine.
I cant say I've checked myself to be honest but it my last car wasn't far off the pace of this one and it doesn't feel much faster. How would i check this myself? or would i need to go to a tuning company? And from reading a post from a VW mechanic on here he said it's very obvious that a car isn't stock tuned when they plug in for service so i presume VW would have put it back to standard if it was mapped before sale.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #16
boats'n hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_451 View Post
Well I think they might be able to argue that you killed it, especially if you tell them about the WOT in 6th, but I do seriously doubt that's what happened.

I somehow got the idea in my head that you were upgrading the clutch, sorry for the confusion on that front.
no my mistake, i'm undecided at the moment what to do i'd probably prefer a free repair if i can but not if it's going to cause trouble again in a few years. should just bite the bullet and get the up-rated clutch.
It's just pretty gut wrenching getting clutch slip after 5 days of owning it!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:54 PM   #17
Reggie Enchilada

Quote:
Originally Posted by boats'n hoes View Post
I cant say I've checked myself to be honest but it my last car wasn't far off the pace of this one and it doesn't feel much faster. How would i check this myself? or would i need to go to a tuning company? And from reading a post from a VW mechanic on here he said it's very obvious that a car isn't stock tuned when they plug in for service so i presume VW would have put it back to standard if it was mapped before sale.
You'd know if it was tuned. There's no mistaking a tuned MK7 from a stock one . If you want to check, you can call the major tuners and provide them with a VIN. They should be able to tell you. Another option is to take the car to a VW dealer and have it flashed there.
The Sach's upgrade is a good kit. Retains a DMFW and adds a stronger pressure plate and clutch disk. I've seen several people on here who are happy with it. Sach's is the manufacturer of the OEM clutches in the MK7's. Another option to look at is the TTRS clutch. It's very similar to the Sach's option and uses OEM parts from other VAG cars.

Tags
clutch issue