GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
TroyI

Drives: 2016 GTI SE APR stage 1
APR tune is no joke... super impressed

Got my new (used) 2016 GTI tuned with APR stage 1. WOW.

I've had cars from the 1st gen Eclipse's to 6 cylinder G35 to V8 power mustangs. I've always added intakes/exhausts/plenums....and other bolt on parts. After doing these bolt on's, I always say "yeah, I think i feel the extra power".... but in reality, I can't really tell the difference THAT much.

APR stage 1 and a drop in filter on the GTI.... Holy Chit man, you can FEEL it like no other. I'm gonna need to buy tires for the front wheels a lot more than normal.

For those that haven't tuned your car, go do it. It's friggin' impressive.
TroyI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Thumbs up

Welcome to the notstock club.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:02 AM   #3
SugarMouth

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP LP
That is the turbo's doing.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #4
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
Just wait, now you’re hooked and the mods will flock instinctively like the salmon of Capistrano
Old 01-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #5
Crudulous

Drives: GTI
I remember that initial rush leaving stock. A good turbo can take you to only what a motor swap used to do.
Crudulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
Will_

Drives: MK7 GTI S DSG
Been wanting to pull the trigger on APR for awhile now... just worried about anything going wrong and being liable for repairs. Might do APR plus, extra $400 is worth it for the peace of mind I think. Also considering getting Unitronic Stage 1 and stacking it with JB4... but not sure.
Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
ian124

Drives: '17 S DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_ View Post
Been wanting to pull the trigger on APR for awhile now... just worried about anything going wrong and being liable for repairs. Might do APR plus, extra $400 is worth it for the peace of mind I think. Also considering getting Unitronic Stage 1 and stacking it with JB4... but not sure.
Stacking a stage 1 tune is pointless. If you wanna stack go stage 2. Or better yet just pay for a custom tune.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
Tico63

Drives: MK7 GTI
It's incredible bang for your buck. I didn't even add intake or downpipe honestly because compared to the tune I felt it wasn't worth it bang for your buck. Which is just a testament to how awesome the power gains are with just a tune.

But the mod bug won't leave you. See if you can get a dogbone insert or some lowering springs. The reward of proper fitment on the wheels and lowering the car in my opinion is as equally rewarding as APR Stage I. If you don't have the lighting package, I'd suggest some Helix headlights as well.

Most rewarding mods for me on this car was APR Stage I, lowering springs, proper fitment on wheels, and Helix headlights. Changes the car entirely and improves in every way.

Enjoy man! I've had APR Stage I for 18k miles. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES!
2017 MK7 GTI S / APR Stage II ECU Tune / USP Catless Downpipe / 034 Dogbone Insert / OZ UltraLeggera 18x8 / Neuspeed Race Springs / Custom Exhaust / Rokblokz Mud Guards / USP Paddle Extensions / 20% tint / Roof & Spoiler Wrap / Rear wiper delete / Boomba BOV / Helix Headlights
Tico63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Tico63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_ View Post
APR Stage I is very safe, but each car is different. I've had it for 18k miles and zero issues. I have heard rumblings of issues regarding the APR Stage II Crackle Tune. But I'd probably pass on APR Plus if I were you, less power for more money, for a quality product that is pretty safe to begin with.

If you want peace of mind, you could probably buy a used JB4 and pay a third of the price for similar power gains.
2017 MK7 GTI S / APR Stage II ECU Tune / USP Catless Downpipe / 034 Dogbone Insert / OZ UltraLeggera 18x8 / Neuspeed Race Springs / Custom Exhaust / Rokblokz Mud Guards / USP Paddle Extensions / 20% tint / Roof & Spoiler Wrap / Rear wiper delete / Boomba BOV / Helix Headlights
Old 01-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
zrickety

Drives: MK6 GTI DSG, looking at the MK7
Stage 1 was just as satisfying for me...never felt the need to even go stage 2, though I did pick up a nice catback later on. If you've even been to APR HQ, they give you a tour and you will see an actual wizard that works on the tunes. That guy looks like a legit sorcerer!
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
Tico63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Stage 1 was just as satisfying for me...never felt the need to even go stage 2, though I did pick up a nice catback later on. If you've even been to APR HQ, they give you a tour and you will see an actual wizard that works on the tunes. That guy looks like a legit sorcerer!
Me either. I was only tempted with the APR crackle tune, but when I heard just how much it pops, I felt to be too attention seeking & obnoxious.

USP quoted me $1100 for an APR Downpipe + install + (waived) Stage II Tune.
(Excessive pricing I know)

Granted I could purchase a CTS downpipe for $400 + $120 Install + $180 APR Tune equaling $700-$800. Just never saw the value there. But if you're interested in power gains of course it's worth it.

If there's one thing I forgot to recommend is what you mentioned. A catback or just a custom made like mine. Makes the car feel so much more alive especially with a tune.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #12
Worldpacgti

Drives: Mk7 gti
honestly for OTS APR is the best. period hands down IMO
Eurodyne IS38, 3" catless DP, Unitronic intercooler, Autotech intake, CTS turbo inlet pipe, CTS turbo outlet pipe, CTS TMD, CTS dogbone insert, H&R sport springs, Eurodyne TCU tune, CTS Turbo BOV, CTS throttle pipe, ECS turbo blanket, CTS engine and Transmission mounts
Worldpacgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #13
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
My last 2 GTI's were automatic with APR Stage 1. Both transmissions slipped. Have your pennies saved up.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
Hoon

Drives: '17 GTI Sport DSG
For what it's worth, stacking on a Stage 1 tune is a questionable decision.

Tuners set the limits based on what the cat will tolerate. Stacking on stage 1 could possibly lead to burning up a cat.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #15
TroyI

Drives: 2016 GTI SE APR stage 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico63 View Post

Most rewarding mods for me on this car was APR Stage I, lowering springs, proper fitment on wheels, and Helix headlights.
I did the lowering springs and wheel spacers the same time I had the shop do the APR tune. Definitely makes the car look a lot better, IMO.
TroyI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #16
vincevtr

Drives: 2017 GTI
thinking about switching to apr stage 1 when spring rolls around, from jb4. Ive heard apr power tapers off more than other tunes past 5k rpms, is that true/a big downside? their 1/4 timeslips suggests that doesnt matter lol
vincevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #17
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevtr View Post
thinking about switching to apr stage 1 when spring rolls around, from jb4. Ive heard apr power tapers off more than other tunes past 5k rpms, is that true/a big downside? their 1/4 timeslips suggests that doesnt matter lol
Since the IS20 peters out after 5500 it's not an issue (as noted by good timeslips of people shifting correctly and not running it out past 6k).