GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 AM   #52
RoidRage

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1292 View Post
100% agree. I just think in a customer service aspect of, if something is wrong with my tune, I may be met with no responses or attitude and that's not what I want when I'm paying for a service. My profession is in service/retail so I always think of that first. Probably a downfall of mine because I guarantee 5150 is just as good as all of you say it is. We'll see how this stratified tune goes and take it from there. One question I have though is if stratified is showing in that article their graphs stating that the lower afr is met with more power, how could it be bad. (totally honest question and not meaning to say anyone here doesn't know what their talking about)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Lack of true testing on the platform through various changes on the available tables? I wouldn't know but that is my guess?

I'm not saying I know nearly as much as them, but I trust the hours of work and developed VW put in the stock tuning and APR/UM/Revo etc who all have similiar AFR targets with their R and D as well as my tuner.

I wish I still had the jb4 logs of APR and ED stage 2 OTS maps. Someone might. But from what I understand the OTS tuners all use similar AFR methodology.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:56 AM   #53
airjor13

Drives: 2017 GTI S
It's hilarious only in VW/Audi world are canned tunes viewed as superior to individualized pro-tunes.
ST Rear Sway | SuperPro End-links | BFI ST3 Clutch | VWR Springs | R Shift Knob
airjor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 AM   #54
RoidRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjor13 View Post
It's hilarious only in VW/Audi world are canned tunes viewed as superior to individualized pro-tunes.
Who said that? If you are referring to me I'm protuned 5150..... I was making an example. If your mad I called out youre tuners AFR targetting I'm sorry?

Not all protuners are equal lol. Just because you tune cars as a protuner that doesn't make you better than OTS.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 AM   #55
Cameron1292

Drives: Mk7 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidRage View Post
Lack of true testing on the platform through various changes on the available tables? I wouldn't know but that is my guess?

I'm not saying I know nearly as much as them, but I trust the hours of work and developed VW put in the stock tuning and APR/UM/Revo etc who all have similiar AFR targets with their R and D as well as my tuner.

I wish I still had the jb4 logs of APR and ED stage 2 OTS maps. Someone might. But from what I understand the OTS tuners all use similar AFR methodology.
I emailed them asking why their the only tuners to do so. Let's see what they say. That's my main question because I trust the R&D that Apr /uni have done and if they are running higher afr and they don't have knock then I want to know what they have to say.

Cameron1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 AM   #56
RoidRage

Quote:
I emailed them asking why their the only tuners to do so. Let's see what they say. That's my main question because I trust the R&D that Apr /uni have done and if they are running higher afr and they don't have knock then I want to know what they have to say.

Anyone that knows our platform knows APR makes fast tunes. I actually find it funny because there are less than 3 protuners who know anything about our platform and most will run way slower than APR. And this is coming from someone who hates OTS. But facts are facts.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 AM   #57
Cameron1292

Quote:
Anyone that knows our platform knows APR makes fast tunes. I actually find it funny because there are less than 3 protuners who know anything about our platform and most will run way slower than APR. And this is coming from someone who hates OTS. But facts are facts.
Exactly I was going to go Apr but got a good deal on the accessport plus my buddy with a 17 wrx was in my ear lol I'm honestly not all about the numbers though and I feel like that's what Apr is. I'd way rather a more civilized tune on the safe side than a monster power car that pushes the engine. That's me though. I daily drive to work an hour away and the car is also 9 months old.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:13 AM   #58
Deviation01

Drives: 2015 GTI
As roid said. Once you start leaning the mixture you have to find was to reduce kr. What these tuners are doing is be lazy and just run rich. They don't take the time to look deeper and adjust other maps. There are many maps in a tune that can be tweaked at. I would love to run a strat car. I will love to run a freektune car yet not many can be found...... got to ask why is that.
Alfonzo (Howards replacement) 2015 White PP DCC GTI (Put in production 04/28/2015): COBB 5150, Passat powered IS38, APR IS38 DSG file, REMARK Turbo Back Exhaust, IE IC, HPA dogbone mount, Torque Solutions Engine Mount, UBQ, 034 Rear Sway Bar, MST full intake.
https://www.youtube.com/c/RevnStep
Deviation01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #59
RoidRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation01 View Post
As roid said. Once you start leaning the mixture you have to find was to reduce kr. What these tuners are doing is be lazy and just run rich. They don't take the time to look deeper and adjust other maps. There are many maps in a tune that can be tweaked at. I would love to run a strat car. I will love to run a freektune car yet not many can be found...... got to ask why is that.
They all switched over .
Old 01-17-2018, 03:30 AM   #60
Cameron1292

That's very possible lol like I said I havnt seen a bad thing on the 5150 tune. But again I'm not interested in the most powerful I still want it to be reliable so I'm fine with a more tame tune. Once my car gets on in its life and I'm comfortable with it I'll go is38 or hybrid. I just really wanted the tune to suit my car exactly how it is. If anyone's in the Florida area I'd be more than happy to run a bit once my tune is finished lol

Old 01-17-2018, 03:38 AM   #61
navindralr

Drives: 2017 GTI SE 4DR 6SPD
Quote:
They all switched over .
lol I'm about to pull the switcheroo as well
navindralr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 AM   #62
airjor13

Quote:
Who said that? If you are referring to me I'm protuned 5150..... I was making an example. If your mad I called out youre tuners AFR targetting I'm sorry?

Not all protuners are equal lol. Just because you tune cars as a protuner that doesn't make you better than OTS.
Nope not mad at all, just stating the general views on canned tunes on these cars. Didn't even realize you were 5150 but "best" protunes are purely subjective, most people tend to think whatever they purchased is the "best". Just some v-dyno for comparing as best as I can from revisions to revisions but you get the point, is it perfect? no the power delivery is still being worked a bit. Is there boost still left on the table, yes I think so.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #63
RoidRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjor13 View Post
Nope not mad at all, just stating the general views on canned tunes on these cars. Didn't even realize you were 5150 but "best" protunes are purely subjective, most people tend to think whatever they purchased is the "best". Just some v-dyno for comparing as best as I can from revisions to revisions but you get the point, is it perfect? no the power delivery is still being worked a bit. Is there boost still left on the table, yes I think so.

I don't know about subjective but 1/4 times don't lie. In terms of performance that can be measured between tuners.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 AM   #64
Cameron1292

So stratified responded to my email by saying yes they add more fuel to help with knock on the base file but depending on fuel quality and my setup they can adjust it after they get my logs from the first revision so we'll see how this goes. I guess because so many people in the country can only get 91? Also what is everyone's opinion on safe boost for the is20. I was at around 25 on my MAPerformance ots tune. Once I installed my dp thought I saw spikes of up to 28.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #65
Deviation01

Drives: 2015 GTI
Again adding fuel to correct for kr is lazy tuning.
Alfonzo (Howards replacement) 2015 White PP DCC GTI (Put in production 04/28/2015): COBB 5150, Passat powered IS38, APR IS38 DSG file, REMARK Turbo Back Exhaust, IE IC, HPA dogbone mount, Torque Solutions Engine Mount, UBQ, 034 Rear Sway Bar, MST full intake.
https://www.youtube.com/c/RevnStep
Deviation01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #66
RoidRage

Quote:
So stratified responded to my email by saying yes they add more fuel to help with knock on the base file but depending on fuel quality and my setup they can adjust it after they get my logs from the first revision so we'll see how this goes. I guess because so many people in the country can only get 91? Also what is everyone's opinion on safe boost for the is20. I was at around 25 on my MAPerformance ots tune. Once I installed my dp thought I saw spikes of up to 28.

Why would they apply the same AFR targets to all gas types? Isn't that the point of tuning for the specifics of the car and gas available by the customer? That sounds like a lazy assumption to apply to all customers....... The other guy is on his 5th revision and they just said to him ohh maybe leaner on his car is better LoL.

Also how you spool the turbo is more important han peak PSI. According to many I have spoken to a reasonable degree. Obviously 35psi is crazy.

Last edited by RoidRage; 01-17-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:17 AM   #67
RoidRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation01 View Post
Again adding fuel to correct for kr is lazy tuning.
I agree 1000000000% you work to solve KR not just apply a blanket solution to everyone who may not have the same fuel issue as others.. especially for those with 93 etc.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 AM   #68
airjor13

Quote:
I don't know about subjective but 1/4 times don't lie. In terms of performance that can be measured between tuners.

Agreed that trap speeds are indicative of real power levels