GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 AM   #52
RoidRage
Senior Member
 
Drives: Race Car
Location: Hong Kong
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1292 View Post
100% agree. I just think in a customer service aspect of, if something is wrong with my tune, I may be met with no responses or attitude and that's not what I want when I'm paying for a service. My profession is in service/retail so I always think of that first. Probably a downfall of mine because I guarantee 5150 is just as good as all of you say it is. We'll see how this stratified tune goes and take it from there. One question I have though is if stratified is showing in that article their graphs stating that the lower afr is met with more power, how could it be bad. (totally honest question and not meaning to say anyone here doesn't know what their talking about)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Lack of true testing on the platform through various changes on the available tables? I wouldn't know but that is my guess?

I'm not saying I know nearly as much as them, but I trust the hours of work and developed VW put in the stock tuning and APR/UM/Revo etc who all have similiar AFR targets with their R and D as well as my tuner.

I wish I still had the jb4 logs of APR and ED stage 2 OTS maps. Someone might. But from what I understand the OTS tuners all use similar AFR methodology.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:56 AM   #53
airjor13
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 GTI S
Location: NOVA
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 165
It's hilarious only in VW/Audi world are canned tunes viewed as superior to individualized pro-tunes.
__________________
2017 GTI S Tornado Red
G-POP IS38 | MK6R Brakes | COBB Stratified Tuned | Unitronic IC | MAP DP | Milltek Exhaust
Neuspeed RSE05 | HPA Dogbone | Leyo TIP | ECS TMD | 034 Engine and Transmission Mounts
ST Rear Sway | SuperPro End-links | BFI ST3 Clutch | VWR Springs | R Shift Knob
airjor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 AM   #54
RoidRage
Senior Member
 
Drives: Race Car
Location: Hong Kong
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjor13 View Post
It's hilarious only in VW/Audi world are canned tunes viewed as superior to individualized pro-tunes.
Who said that? If you are referring to me I'm protuned 5150..... I was making an example. If your mad I called out youre tuners AFR targetting I'm sorry?

Not all protuners are equal lol. Just because you tune cars as a protuner that doesn't make you better than OTS.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 AM   #55
Cameron1292
Senior Member
 
Drives: Mk7 gti
Location: Florida
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidRage View Post
Lack of true testing on the platform through various changes on the available tables? I wouldn't know but that is my guess?

I'm not saying I know nearly as much as them, but I trust the hours of work and developed VW put in the stock tuning and APR/UM/Revo etc who all have similiar AFR targets with their R and D as well as my tuner.

I wish I still had the jb4 logs of APR and ED stage 2 OTS maps. Someone might. But from what I understand the OTS tuners all use similar AFR methodology.
I emailed them asking why their the only tuners to do so. Let's see what they say. That's my main question because I trust the R&D that Apr /uni have done and if they are running higher afr and they don't have knock then I want to know what they have to say.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Cameron1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 AM   #56
RoidRage
Senior Member
 
Drives: Race Car
Location: Hong Kong
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1292 View Post
I emailed them asking why their the only tuners to do so. Let's see what they say. That's my main question because I trust the R&D that Apr /uni have done and if they are running higher afr and they don't have knock then I want to know what they have to say.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Anyone that knows our platform knows APR makes fast tunes. I actually find it funny because there are less than 3 protuners who know anything about our platform and most will run way slower than APR. And this is coming from someone who hates OTS. But facts are facts.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 AM   #57
Cameron1292
Senior Member
 
Drives: Mk7 gti
Location: Florida
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidRage View Post
Anyone that knows our platform knows APR makes fast tunes. I actually find it funny because there are less than 3 protuners who know anything about our platform and most will run way slower than APR. And this is coming from someone who hates OTS. But facts are facts.
Exactly I was going to go Apr but got a good deal on the accessport plus my buddy with a 17 wrx was in my ear lol I'm honestly not all about the numbers though and I feel like that's what Apr is. I'd way rather a more civilized tune on the safe side than a monster power car that pushes the engine. That's me though. I daily drive to work an hour away and the car is also 9 months old.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Cameron1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:13 AM   #58
Deviation01
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI
Location: St. Louis
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,366
As roid said. Once you start leaning the mixture you have to find was to reduce kr. What these tuners are doing is be lazy and just run rich. They don't take the time to look deeper and adjust other maps. There are many maps in a tune that can be tweaked at. I would love to run a strat car. I will love to run a freektune car yet not many can be found...... got to ask why is that.
__________________
Howard 2015 Black PP GTI
Alfonzo (Howards replacement) 2015 White PP DCC GTI (Put in production 04/28/2015): COBB 5150, Passat powered IS38, APR IS38 DSG file, REMARK Turbo Back Exhaust, IE IC, HPA dogbone mount, Torque Solutions Engine Mount, UBQ, 034 Rear Sway Bar, MST full intake.
https://www.youtube.com/c/RevnStep
Deviation01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #59
RoidRage
Senior Member
 
Drives: Race Car
Location: Hong Kong
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation01 View Post
As roid said. Once you start leaning the mixture you have to find was to reduce kr. What these tuners are doing is be lazy and just run rich. They don't take the time to look deeper and adjust other maps. There are many maps in a tune that can be tweaked at. I would love to run a strat car. I will love to run a freektune car yet not many can be found...... got to ask why is that.
They all switched over .
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:30 AM   #60
Cameron1292
Senior Member
 
Drives: Mk7 gti
Location: Florida
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 119
That's very possible lol like I said I havnt seen a bad thing on the 5150 tune. But again I'm not interested in the most powerful I still want it to be reliable so I'm fine with a more tame tune. Once my car gets on in its life and I'm comfortable with it I'll go is38 or hybrid. I just really wanted the tune to suit my car exactly how it is. If anyone's in the Florida area I'd be more than happy to run a bit once my tune is finished lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Cameron1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:38 AM   #61
navindralr
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 GTI SE 4DR 6SPD
Location: NYC
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidRage View Post
They all switched over .
lol I'm about to pull the switcheroo as well
navindralr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 AM   #62
airjor13
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 GTI S
Location: NOVA
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidRage View Post
Who said that? If you are referring to me I'm protuned 5150..... I was making an example. If your mad I called out youre tuners AFR targetting I'm sorry?

Not all protuners are equal lol. Just because you tune cars as a protuner that doesn't make you better than OTS.
Nope not mad at all, just stating the general views on canned tunes on these cars. Didn't even realize you were 5150 but "best" protunes are purely subjective, most people tend to think whatever they purchased is the "best". Just some v-dyno for comparing as best as I can from revisions to revisions but you get the point, is it perfect? no the power delivery is still being worked a bit. Is there boost still left on the table, yes I think so.

__________________
2017 GTI S Tornado Red
G-POP IS38 | MK6R Brakes | COBB Stratified Tuned | Unitronic IC | MAP DP | Milltek Exhaust
Neuspeed RSE05 | HPA Dogbone | Leyo TIP | ECS TMD | 034 Engine and Transmission Mounts
ST Rear Sway | SuperPro End-links | BFI ST3 Clutch | VWR Springs | R Shift Knob
airjor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #63
RoidRage
Senior Member
 
Drives: Race Car
Location: Hong Kong
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjor13 View Post
Nope not mad at all, just stating the general views on canned tunes on these cars. Didn't even realize you were 5150 but "best" protunes are purely subjective, most people tend to think whatever they purchased is the "best". Just some v-dyno for comparing as best as I can from revisions to revisions but you get the point, is it perfect? no the power delivery is still being worked a bit. Is there boost still left on the table, yes I think so.

I don't know about subjective but 1/4 times don't lie. In terms of performance that can be measured between tuners.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 AM   #64
Cameron1292
Senior Member
 
Drives: Mk7 gti
Location: Florida
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 119
So stratified responded to my email by saying yes they add more fuel to help with knock on the base file but depending on fuel quality and my setup they can adjust it after they get my logs from the first revision so we'll see how this goes. I guess because so many people in the country can only get 91? Also what is everyone's opinion on safe boost for the is20. I was at around 25 on my MAPerformance ots tune. Once I installed my dp thought I saw spikes of up to 28.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Cameron1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #65
Deviation01
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI
Location: St. Louis
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,366
Again adding fuel to correct for kr is lazy tuning.
__________________
Howard 2015 Black PP GTI
Alfonzo (Howards replacement) 2015 White PP DCC GTI (Put in production 04/28/2015): COBB 5150, Passat powered IS38, APR IS38 DSG file, REMARK Turbo Back Exhaust, IE IC, HPA dogbone mount, Torque Solutions Engine Mount, UBQ, 034 Rear Sway Bar, MST full intake.
https://www.youtube.com/c/RevnStep
Deviation01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #66
RoidRage
Senior Member
 
Drives: Race Car
Location: Hong Kong
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1292 View Post
So stratified responded to my email by saying yes they add more fuel to help with knock on the base file but depending on fuel quality and my setup they can adjust it after they get my logs from the first revision so we'll see how this goes. I guess because so many people in the country can only get 91? Also what is everyone's opinion on safe boost for the is20. I was at around 25 on my MAPerformance ots tune. Once I installed my dp thought I saw spikes of up to 28.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Why would they apply the same AFR targets to all gas types? Isn't that the point of tuning for the specifics of the car and gas available by the customer? That sounds like a lazy assumption to apply to all customers....... The other guy is on his 5th revision and they just said to him ohh maybe leaner on his car is better LoL.

Also how you spool the turbo is more important han peak PSI. According to many I have spoken to a reasonable degree. Obviously 35psi is crazy.

Last edited by RoidRage; 01-17-2018 at 04:22 AM.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:17 AM   #67
RoidRage
Senior Member
 
Drives: Race Car
Location: Hong Kong
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation01 View Post
Again adding fuel to correct for kr is lazy tuning.
I agree 1000000000% you work to solve KR not just apply a blanket solution to everyone who may not have the same fuel issue as others.. especially for those with 93 etc.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 AM   #68
airjor13
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 GTI S
Location: NOVA
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidRage View Post
I don't know about subjective but 1/4 times don't lie. In terms of performance that can be measured between tuners.

Agreed that trap speeds are indicative of real power levels
__________________
2017 GTI S Tornado Red
G-POP IS38 | MK6R Brakes | COBB Stratified Tuned | Unitronic IC | MAP DP | Milltek Exhaust
Neuspeed RSE05 | HPA Dogbone | Leyo TIP | ECS TMD | 034 Engine and Transmission Mounts
ST Rear Sway | SuperPro End-links | BFI ST3 Clutch | VWR Springs | R Shift Knob
airjor13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.