GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #18
2slowvw

Drives: 2016 GTI S
Listen to PACDAWG, do not run these crackle tunes on a catted downpipe unless you want to have a bad time. Hell personally i think all the crackle tunes are dumb (yes including the ones provided by my tuner). But i respect that each has their own taste and am a firm believer of doing what you want with your own car.

Cheap, fast, or reliable. Pick two.
2slowvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #19
RoidRage

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slowvw View Post
Listen to PACDAWG, do not run these crackle tunes on a catted downpipe unless you want to have a bad time. Hell personally i think all the crackle tunes are dumb (yes including the ones provided by my tuner). But i respect that each has their own taste and am a firm believer of doing what you want with your own car.
Agree 100%
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 PM   #20
PacDawg

Drives: 2016 GTI / 2008 Acura RDX
Quote:
At least this goes for Cobb's iteration of a crackle tune. Don't know what APR does to keep CATs happy because they offer it on their stage 2 tunes and their downpipe is catted.
2016 GTI S DSG | 5150 IS38 ECU & APR TCU Tune | ECS Intake | Unitronic Intercooler | Circuit Werks DP | Precision Raceworks LPFP | CTS TIP | Modified Stock Exhaust | Kosie K8R | VWR Springs | Llumar CTX 35% Tint
12.0 @ 114 mph IS20 APR
11.3 @ 122.8 mph IS38 5150
PacDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #21
Derushi

Drives: PP/LP 6MT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDawg View Post
At least this goes for Cobb's iteration of a crackle tune. Don't know what APR does to keep CATs happy because they offer it on their stage 2 tunes and their downpipe is catted.
Per Cobb, there seems to be a safety parameter in place that protects the cat. Maybe it'll prevent the pop/crackle when the cat gets hot enough? I think I read that APR does the same thing.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=14
Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #22
Cameron1292

Drives: Mk7 gti
Quote:
Yea I've heard they would get crazy hot and roast it. Not worth the trouble. I figured for the extra 15 dollars for the tune I'd have him put it on and if it got annoying I'd get it taken off. To my surprise (at least with stratified) you need to get a really high rpm going and overrun it so I will really only hear it if I'm downshifting at a high rev. I'd hate for it to happen constantly that would be horrible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Cameron1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #23
Cameron1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidRage View Post
There are some logs of Strat tuning floating around. I hope yours does look better.
We're they not looking good? I don't believe I've seen any.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #24
RoidRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1292 View Post
We're they not looking good? I don't believe I've seen any.

I won't comment too much, but it is not the most ideal.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38523
Old 01-16-2018, 11:39 PM   #25
Cameron1292

Quote:
I won't comment too much, but it is not the most ideal.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38523
That's a brand new thread I haven't seen it. Did he ever confirm it was a stratified tune? I didn't see it. Could have missed it though. Anyways I'm new to the logging process I get the concept though that we shouldn't be getting afr in the low 11s on the mqb platform. So if I do, should I tell the tuner on the next revision to get that up?

EDIT: Actually I knew I saw something with them previously on afr. Here's from their site. http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/does-...n-the-mk7-gti/

Last edited by Cameron1292; 01-16-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #26
RoidRage

Quote:
That's a brand new thread I haven't seen it. Did he ever confirm it was a stratified tune? I didn't see it. Could have missed it though. Anyways I'm new to the logging process I get the concept though that we shouldn't be getting afr in the low 11s on the mqb platform. So if I do, should I tell the tuner on the next revision to get that up?

If you know how to read a cobb log you can see it has the stratified ID on it.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:06 AM   #27
Cameron1292

Quote:
Yea I don't totally know how to read them. I get the idea of it though with the spreadsheet or a datazap view. I have afr monitored on the AP so Ill watch it going to work tonight. It will be my first longer drive on this tune, it's an hour each way. Anything else I should monitor in real time? I have boost, knock on all cylinders and afr.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #28
uberpolka

Drives: 2017 GTI
Quote:

How so?
uberpolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #29
RoidRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpolka View Post
How so?
Look at the datazapme parameter selection area, the very last parameter.

Last edited by RoidRage; 01-17-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 AM   #30
RoidRage

Quote:
Look at the datazapme me parameter selection area.
However, I believe this is a base tune ( I think it is anyways) so I wouldnt pass judgment right away.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #31
Cameron1292

We'll see how it goes. That's why I wanted the etune so I could get it to my liking. I was running an ots tune from another company and I didn't like how much repetitive knock I was getting in 4th gear pulls and wasn't getting help from them. Not that I should I guess, it was an ots tune but still.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #32
RoidRage

Quote:
We'll see how it goes. That's why I wanted the etune so I could get it to my liking. I was running an ots tune from another company and I didn't like how much repetitive knock I was getting in 4th gear pulls and wasn't getting help from them. Not that I should I guess, it was an ots tune but still.

I am assuming you are referring to the MAP tune? If so, I can state that I had massive KR issues also. No need to hide what you have experienced. I got my AP from MAP and had issues with KR which is why I got a protune also.

Last edited by RoidRage; 01-17-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:37 AM   #33
uberpolka

Drives: 2017 GTI
Quote:
However, I believe this is a base tune ( I think it is anyways) so I wouldnt pass judgment right away.
dang I was looking for it before too!
ha thanks

looks like 5th revision per file name of v1.50

That said,
I'm having a lot of trouble finding any SOLID evidence that when tuned the mk7 platform better/safer with a leaner AFR.

The only tuning experience I have is with carburetors and nothing computer aided, so I understand that leaner = more hp most times.

Everyone brags on the 5150 tune, which is awesome for them, it just seems like they are the only ones really pushing a leaner WOT AFR model (which I agree is more stock like in that regard).

I'm just curious more than anything right now and want to learn more. Every time someone brings up people's AFR's are to rich, I've never seen a reason WHY.
uberpolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #34
RoidRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpolka View Post
dang I was looking for it before too!
ha thanks

looks like 5th revision per file name of v1.50

That said,
I'm having a lot of trouble finding any SOLID evidence that when tuned the mk7 platform better/safer with a leaner AFR.

The only tuning experience I have is with carburetors and nothing computer aided, so I understand that leaner = more hp most times.

Everyone brags on the 5150 tune, which is awesome for them, it just seems like they are the only ones really pushing a leaner WOT AFR model (which I agree is more stock like in that regard).

I'm just curious more than anything right now and want to learn more. Every time someone brings up people's AFR's are to rich, I've never seen a reason WHY.
Have you ever seen JB4 logs of APR, UNI & ED? I have and they all run AFR above 11. The only tuner platform that runs AFR under 12 is protuners on COBB (outside of 5150, because he knows what he is doing).

You have to understand our cars are DI not PI. That is the reason why we dont run AFR in 11's.

JB4 runs 13 which stock AFR targets also (based on what I have seen).