GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 AM   #18
breaking badly
Banned
 
Drives: Winnie Twister
Location: St. Olaf
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,426
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhLGe_M6XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElaMcoO_drg

http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

What do you think is happening between the two surfaces?









That's probably the friction disc = clutch:






Quote:
The Wavetrac® diff’s behavior can be altered in the field to suit your needs. It comes standard with carbon-fiber bias plates for the best all around performance and lifetime durability. Changeable plates using materials with different friction coefficients to fine-tune the bias ratio are sold separately.
These bias plates provide a mechanism to tune the response of the differential as a function of applied torque load. The applied torque load manifests itself as an axial load from the differential pinions into the housing. This axial force is then considered a normal force into the bias plate, and as a function of the effective coefficient of friction, provide a resistive torque to the rotational motion of the differential pinions. The resistive torque will add to the resistance of relative rotation of all components within the differential. The resistive force, however, is non-uniform since it is a function of the axial load from the differential pinions. The unbalance of the resistive torque will manifest as non-uniform energy absorption within the differential causing a bias ratio.



However, I use to recommend the Wavetrac LSD for years. I don't wanna
say it's bad at all. I just think it's better swapping the oil from time to time.
You certainly don't need to convince me on it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nonbiodegradable weasel View Post
Wavetrac's website indicates that it is a maintenance-free part. Install it and forget it.
There's friction happening (under the forementioned zero-load conditions).
Friction means wear. I'd swap it every three years and anually when tracking.
Feel free to do it your own way.
breaking badly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:56 AM   #19
nonbiodegradable weasel
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 GTI
Location: US
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 109
.
__________________
JB4 | RSR clutch | Wavetrac LSD | UR DP | IE IC
nonbiodegradable weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #20
MrConflicted
Member
 
Drives: 2015 VW GTI S - Manual
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaking badly View Post
The Wavetrac has additional clutch packs. That's why it's superior to Torsen-only LSDs
under harder conditions (one wheel losing ground contact). And that's why you'd want
to swap oil frequently too.


How did you perform a comparison to the PP's VAQ diff when you own a non-PP?

Just to avoid some misunderstanding, the VAQ LSD has a locking capability of 100 %.
I don't get why it should perform worse under non-ideal conditions.


.
You assume I have no GTI friends! The mechanical is more responsive. While I believe the PP diff is a proactive unit (based on throttle and steering angle), I can attest that many have stated the WaveTrac feels much more responsive after driving my car.

I assume that a "Diff tune", similar to haldex controllers on Mk6's, would bring the PP diff closer to wavetrac performance?

In addition, I have to believe that the clutch packs in the PP diff will lose performance in extreme scenarios (ex: racing) as most clutch-type diffs do, even high end ones. That's why you usually see diff coolers on race cars. Now, I don't have any data to know the exact effects of this with the PP, but I'd be curious if locking deteriorates on track days.
MrConflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #21
MrConflicted
Member
 
Drives: 2015 VW GTI S - Manual
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 58
Quote:
However, I use to recommend the Wavetrac LSD for years. I don't wanna
say it's bad at all. I just think it's better swapping the oil from time to time.
You certainly don't need to convince me on it.

Do you just mean swapping the fluid or cracking open the diff and swapping out that transfer plate? I'm running 75W-90 Motul fluid, and have about 20K miles on the diff with 1 track day, a few autoX's, and many canyon runs. Performance only seems to have improved since day 1, lol. Should I still change it?

My thinking was every 30-40K miles?
MrConflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #22
breaking badly
Banned
 
Drives: Winnie Twister
Location: St. Olaf
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,426
Just swapping the oil. Another question is which oil to use, as conventional plate-LSDs
used to require dedicated 'LS' gear oil. Volkswagen suggest a 3-year interval and that's
probably also fine for a Wavertrac. So 30-40K miles sounds reasonable.

Fine-tuning the PP's VAQ is another story. Not sure if we had the before, but it should
feel somewhat different depending on whether driving profile is set to sport or normal.
To be honest I didn't experience a clear difference yet though, neither on my CS nor on
my girlfriend's PP as I didn't track them so far.
breaking badly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
drrck
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI PP/SE/LP
Location: Zeeland, MI, USA
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConflicted View Post
You assume I have no GTI friends! The mechanical is more responsive. While I believe the PP diff is a proactive unit (based on throttle and steering angle), I can attest that many have stated the WaveTrac feels much more responsive after driving my car.

I assume that a "Diff tune", similar to haldex controllers on Mk6's, would bring the PP diff closer to wavetrac performance?

In addition, I have to believe that the clutch packs in the PP diff will lose performance in extreme scenarios (ex: racing) as most clutch-type diffs do, even high end ones. That's why you usually see diff coolers on race cars. Now, I don't have any data to know the exact effects of this with the PP, but I'd be curious if locking deteriorates on track days.
I've experienced no decrease in VAQ performance during my HPDE sessions (20 mins). Often times my fastest times are in laps 4-6 which is 15 mins into the session.
__________________
ED Stg 2 Adjustable / ED DSG Tune / HPA Core Interlock / I.E. Intercooler / Ferodo DS2500 Pads / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / 034 Intake
drrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #24
MrConflicted
Member
 
Drives: 2015 VW GTI S - Manual
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaking badly View Post
Just swapping the oil. Another question is which oil to use, as conventional plate-LSDs
used to require dedicated 'LS' gear oil. Volkswagen suggest a 3-year interval and that's
probably also fine for a Wavertrac. So 30-40K miles sounds reasonable.

Fine-tuning the PP's VAQ is another story. Not sure if we had the before, but it should
feel somewhat different depending on whether driving profile is set to sport or normal.
To be honest I didn't experience a clear difference yet though, neither on my CS nor on
my girlfriend's PP as I didn't track them so far.
WaveTrac explicitly states NOT to use a friction modifier-type fluid in their diff. Motul 75W-90 and 75W-140 were the only fluids they quoted as "recommended".
MrConflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #25
MrConflicted
Member
 
Drives: 2015 VW GTI S - Manual
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrck View Post
I've experienced no decrease in VAQ performance during my HPDE sessions (20 mins). Often times my fastest times are in laps 4-6 which is 15 mins into the session.
Fantastic news really. I've yet to drive a PP car on track (and don't imagine the opportunity will come up anytime soon), but, I'd love to experience it.

I feel like PP people always get a little butt hurt when I say the WaveTrac edges it out, but, make no mistake, if I could do it over again I'd buy a PP car from the get-go. For 2x the cost of the performance pack (including installation labor), god damn right the WaveTrac better beat out the PP diff! Lol!
MrConflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:10 AM   #26
nal
Senior Member
 
Drives: Golf 7R
Location: malaysia
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 115
indeed i just use the stock dsg oil which is also recommended by wavetrac on my 7R.I change the oil yearly for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConflicted View Post
WaveTrac explicitly states NOT to use a friction modifier-type fluid in their diff. Motul 75W-90 and 75W-140 were the only fluids they quoted as "recommended".
nal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:55 AM   #27
Unreal1
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 VW GTI DSG
Location: Pittsburgh
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 265
About how much do these cost to have installed? I heard it's a pretty difficult job.
__________________
Falken Azenis RT615K, H&R 26mm RSB, SuperPro Polyurethane RSB Endlinks, ECS Polyurethane Control Arm Bushings, EuroCode Front Strut Bar, Cobb AP Stage 1+, K&N Typhoon Intake
https://instagram.com/tunerguy86
Unreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #28
MrStickkyMK7
Junior Member
 
Drives: Golf GTI MK7
Location: Jax, FL.
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 9
This ^^^^ Im very curious to hear how long it took for the install as well.
MrStickkyMK7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
differential, lsd, review, wavetrac

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.