GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your Engine failures

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
I can't remember where I saw it here on the forum (might also have been on vortex), but the patent for the engine in the MK7 actually notes that sustained operation above 3000 RPM for at least 20 minutes after oil reaches operating temp builds up sufficient heat and pressure to help cook off buildup on the valves.

Every day going in to work I roll in 5th gear on the freeway, and at the speeds we commute at here on I-95, my RPM's stay at about 3300 for a solid 25 minutes. I have no idea what condition my valves are in (I'm at 33000 miles and curious what my state of buildup is), but my engine feels and sounds like its running great. Oil changes every 5k, good synthetic, Stage 1 Unitronic. I don't flog it needlessly and always let the oil reach at least 185 F before doing any sort of spirited driving. Here's hoping this ritual is working!

I took care of my MK6 like it was my first born but at 105k I got a low oil pressure light. Shop pulled the pan and found metal shavings. Oh well. Made it to the dealer no problem to trade it in and now own a MK7. Hopefully I get more than 105K this time around.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Not sure if there is enough evidence to substantiate a claim that 2015s are more problematic than 16 or 17 yet.. it may be because it's an older year the owners typically have more miles but I'd like to add that this latest poster about a failure got a new crate put in from vw. Why would they use a 2 year old 15 build date motor to replace it? What year was the crate?

DucatiSSsp

Passed Driver's Ed
Bought a new '17 GTI ES w/DSG mid Dec. w/ 65 miles on it. Had it towed to dealer w/ 295 miles on it. Was throwing EPC & low oil pressure. Dealer found bearing pieces in the oil pan. After not much of a fuss, VW is putting me in a '18 Autobahn(Dark Iron Blue Metallic).
Just sent in the paperwork end of last week, not sure how long it will take.
Greatful that VW is taking care of me. Did not want to have a "refurbished" new car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not sure if there is enough evidence to substantiate a claim that 2015s are more problematic than 16 or 17 yet.. it may be because it's an older year the owners typically have more miles but I'd like to add that this latest poster about a failure got a new crate put in from vw. Why would they use a 2 year old 15 build date motor to replace it? What year was the crate?

The block is probably the same. He doesn't say if it was a complete motor. Could have been just a short block and the dealer bolted on the old engine's parts.

I don't know about the VW replacing a tuned engine part. There must be more to it, because ODIS was rolled out by then.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion

True, but some of these failures are occurring at low miles. 6.9k, 19k, 14k. So if nothing changed we'd probably see a low mileage 16 or 17 in there.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Big stink going on with the Focus RS right now I guess the early ones had a bad head gasket. I know back when I worked at Nissan the 2.3L engine had a batch of bad piston rings. This stuff happens, its why some people say don't buy the first year of production. Although the car is at its coolest when it first comes out.

The most important thing is whether the manufacturer stands behind their mistake or not.

B00STED1

Ready to race!
I bought my GTI from Reeves a few weeks ago. Their service department is nice - and they have a full performance and tuning building. They've got like seven dealerships all in a row that share all the resources, which I think can be a good thing.

It means their performance/tuning guys are working on Audis', Porsches', and BMW just as much as VW. That probably gives them a higher standard of care.

Unfortunately, the dealership is way out in Temple Terrace, so its definitely a haul if you are in CW/St. Pete - or really anywhere south of the bridge.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Also purchased mine from Reeves (a 15 GTI w/30K) and had some warranty done for my LP module. I'm just JB4 tuned right now and I've been on the fence lately with going ED stage 2 but I don't want to risk my CPO. I've heard of a VW dealer in Lakeland being mod friendly, but do you know if Reeves is also similar even if you're not APR?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Also purchased mine from Reeves (a 15 GTI w/30K) and had some warranty done for my LP module. I'm just JB4 tuned right now and I've been on the fence lately with going ED stage 2 but I don't want to risk my CPO. I've heard of a VW dealer in Lakeland being mod friendly, but do you know if Reeves is also similar even if you're not APR?

Doesn't matter if they are mod friendly, they don't foot the bill for warranty work, VoA does and has the final say. If they detect a tune in all likelihood the warranty is void. Maybe the dealer will step up to defray a portion of the cost, but that's entirely situation dependent and wouldn't count on it if it's a large repair.

They also have zero control over the scanning procedure that detects modifications if you want it covered by warranty. If your dealer is "mod friendly" and says not to worry about the warranty if you get mods, get something specific in writing. Dealers, sales, GM's, service mangers will tell you anything and are the biggest perpetuators of passing along false information.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
Big stink going on with the Focus RS right now I guess the early ones had a bad head gasket. I know back when I worked at Nissan the 2.3L engine had a batch of bad piston rings. This stuff happens, its why some people say don't buy the first year of production. Although the car is at its coolest when it first comes out.

The most important thing is whether the manufacturer stands behind their mistake or not.

Some RS' had the wrong head gaskets installed, got the ones for the eco boost Mustang by mistake. So more of a clerical error than engineering.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Some RS' had the wrong head gaskets installed, got the ones for the eco boost Mustang by mistake. So more of a clerical error than engineering.

It's actually more to do with engineering. The open deck block design is a bad combo with boosted engines. If it was just a simple headgasket mis-match, then why are people still blowing their new engines that were replaced under warranty?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

They do it to clear out old stock. Sitting parts make no money. My shop picked up a new VR6 crate engine that had been sitting since the 90's. I bet that company was happy as shit.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
They do it to clear out old stock. Sitting parts make no money. My shop picked up a new VR6 crate engine that had been sitting since the 90's. I bet that company was happy as shit.

I have never seen a vw dealership that kept full crate motors on hand. Either way, the mk7 is quite a reliable platform in all three years so far when looking at the data we do have access to.

To add to the RS debacle .. the OG design was a little bit of a mistake. What happened was since the open block design did not contribute enough support it would crack under load and coolant would come soaring in to save the day and take hearts away.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I have never seen a vw dealership that kept full crate motors on hand.

True, most dealerships don't keep a lot of parts at the dealership. It's normally kept in a giant warehouse...somewhere...hopefully close by but sometimes not. That's why parts can sometimes take a few days, it's not that they are getting it from Germany (usually), but they have to order it from some warehouse.

As far as tax and stuff goes I don't know who actually owns the warehouses full of parts. That's way beyond me. I would have hoped it was a newer year model motor put in, but if it had the exact same failure in similar miles, it seems likely it was a older motor. Pretty ridiculous.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I have never seen a vw dealership that kept full crate motors on hand. Either way, the mk7 is quite a reliable platform in all three years so far when looking at the data we do have access to.

To add to the RS debacle .. the OG design was a little bit of a mistake. What happened was since the open block design did not contribute enough support it would crack under load and coolant would come soaring in to save the day and take hearts away.

Not to mention the HG had a completely useless coolant jacket hole where there was no coolant jacket. I hear they've fixed that issue as of now though.