GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
Does anyone have experience with Lamin-X alternatives? I'm looking for something comparable, that doesn't cost the crazy amount they charge if you don't catch a sale. I recently bough a roll of Vvivid (yes, spelled with two Vs at the front) vinyl that I used for a completely unrelated project, but I was pleased with the quality. I'm uncertain if their offerings are ideal for lenses (headlights, tails). I'm also interested in other brands/offerings that are a bargain without compromise on quality.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
Does anyone have experience with Lamin-X alternatives? I'm looking for something comparable, that doesn't cost the crazy amount they charge if you don't catch a sale. I recently bough a roll of Vvivid (yes, spelled with two Vs at the front) vinyl that I used for a completely unrelated project, but I was pleased with the quality. I'm uncertain if their offerings are ideal for lenses (headlights, tails). I'm also interested in other brands/offerings that are a bargain without compromise on quality.

I don’t have any alternative advice, but if you sign up your email with laminx they send out special flash sales all the time.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So I don't know about the rest of you, but when the CC is on defrost, you can't activate recirc. I've pressed the button a bunch of times and it never comes on. Same with my 98 A4 which turns the AC on when you hit defrost. Seems like a function to me.

You right. My mistake

doak

The opposite, you are trapping damp air in the car.

Use of recirculation may vary as to the cause of the fogging.
Here,in south Louisiana, it is often caused by super humid outside air.
Activating cabin air recirculation along with A/C allows the internal air to be more effectively dehumidified.

CeleritasPrime

Ready to race!
When the fob dies, you use the key to open the door. Then since its kessey, you hold the dead fob next to the cover where the key normally goes, and press the start button. It'll start right up. At least that's what I've read :rolleyes:

I have practiced this but actually removing the battery from my fob and it works fine. Getting the little plastic bit off the key hole on the outside without scratching the paint can be tricky so I would recommend you do it a couple of times in controlled conditions before you're someplace dark/cold/unfamiliar, etc, to learn it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I have practiced this but actually removing the battery from my fob and it works fine. Getting the little plastic bit off the key hole on the outside without scratching the paint can be tricky so I would recommend you do it a couple of times in controlled conditions before you're someplace dark/cold/unfamiliar, etc, to learn it.

You'll also see low key FOB battery faults in OBD11 if you check. I wasn't sure which key of mine was low so I just replaced the battery in both because it only costs a couple bucks.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
did anyone else notice a drop in mpg when putting on your dp?

I may have been driving more than normal, but I am on day three with it and have used half a tank. Ill look at how many miles I have gone when I get off work.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
did anyone else notice a drop in mpg when putting on your dp?

I may have been driving more than normal, but I am on day three with it and have used half a tank. Ill look at how many miles I have gone when I get off work.
I noticed a drop in mpg randomly after like 8 months. I used to get up to 40, now I'm lucky if I get 30

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
Today i went to look at a Mk7.5 GTI (facelift). It has led/xenon head and taillights, but the blinkers arent dynamic... It has the regular blinkers all cars do. Does anyone know if there is a special option or package needed for the dynamic blinkers?

I was about to make a deal on this car, but this is a turn off.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
From what I understand sequential indicators are not standard in NAR cars. You still have to get the Euro LED version. Sucks I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunncon13

Hello all - this is my first post to the forum. I'm about to buy a 2018 GTI SE and have a couple of questions:

1) What does the "driving mode" button do on a manual transmission car? I saw somewhere that it changes soundaktor volume. It wouldn't affect gear shifting points on a manual transmission. Anything else? Suspension, steering, or braking differences?

2) Long ago I had a 1983 GTI, and I had bought a big "service manual" book for it, just to know more about the car. Is there still such a thing for 2018 models?

Thanks in advance.

eXpo

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Hello all - this is my first post to the forum. I'm about to buy a 2018 GTI SE and have a couple of questions:

1) What does the "driving mode" button do on a manual transmission car? I saw somewhere that it changes soundaktor volume. It wouldn't affect gear shifting points on a manual transmission. Anything else? Suspension, steering, or braking differences?

Welcome!

Different driving modes change Soundaktor volume, along with steering "tightness" and throttle sensitivity.
Honestly though, i've never noticed a difference in any of it except for the Soundaktor volume (which i have now completely deactivated)

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
+1....normal/sport and custom. I prefer custom with everything set to normal except steering feel. If you have the LSD it will also affect that along with cornering lights. We expect pics when you get it.

Mud