GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Catback, light weight/single side dual tip

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Started a new project today on a mk7 R. The customer wanted to duplicate the drone free exhaust note of my personal gti and was excited to shed some unnecessary weight by also ditching the right side exhaust tips.

The resonator is a Vibrant 17950, which has gained popularity over the last year for its low cost and great drone killing capability.

A Borla XS Pro muffler will handle volume control, mounted in the spot previously occupied by the factory resonator just before the differential.

As always, all of the materials used are 304L stainless steel and mandrel bent 3”.

Here’s a few mock up pics, planning on starting fabrication tomorrow afternoon.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Spent another four hours on it this afternoon, made it past the rear sway bar. I’d say it’s about half done since I still need to zig zag through the rear suspension the y off into the dual tips.

I’m loving the new Trimix shielding gas, but it goes much quicker than previous setups I’ve had so I’m kinda stressing about running out. It’s special order for the size bottle I have (fits in my gti) so I’ll have to call my supplier and see how soon the can get me an exchange

Spent some time notching the tubing for the dual tips tonight

gif image hosting

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks, I can’t wait to hear it all finished up. Being on night shift makes it hard, but I have the car till Thursday so it’s no big deal if it takes a few days

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If I owned the car I would run tails to the right side. I think it's sacrilege to only have the left side tailpipe.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
He doesn’t have a preference and traditional size single exit VW is left

Preach:

Interesting project, looking forward to updates and sound clips. Personal preference from me would be center exit. Sure VWs are traditionally a left exit, but R models had been center exits for the last 2 generations before the MK7R. Wouldn't change your weight, would simplify rear (diff back) piping BUT would cost you about $400 extra plus paint for a rear valance with center exits.

I know, it's not your car but there's 2 cents.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Are you putting the muffler before the resonator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Gotcha. Thank you.

I’m looking to do this to my Alltrack now. How do you think the borla muffler will sound compared to a vibrant?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
And you have the vibrant 17950 resonator right?