GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom DSG TCU Tune, Reflect Tuning

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my thoughts on a recent TCU tune from Ian at Reflect Tuning...

Firstly, he's extremely knowledgeable and easy to work with. After figuring out the time zone change things, since hes normally EU (+6 hrs from my EST) we had a good rhythm of questions and responses going haha. I payed for the tune and a deposit on the tuning tool, i hooked up my laptop to the tool and my OBD port, turned my cell phone on hotspot mode and connected to the hotspot. One program was downloaded to allow control of my hardware, and we were in! I had him firm up the clutch pressure, increase shift speed, adjust the D and S shift points, set the Launch control at 3800 rpm and numerous other things. Drove it around for a day and noticed a slight trans slip in 4th really getting on it. Shot Ian an email back, asked to have launch control set to 3500rpm, MORE clutch pressure and up my Drive mode shift rpms by 200.

He took maybe 30 minutes to respond, said he had changed the file and he was available that night to update me! Hooked back up, 15 minutes later, I was packing everything up again. It was SO simple to do from home (i used my shop so i could hook the battery to a charger, just in case) or even on the road somewhere. Cant give him enough props and its was great to have him adjust minor tweaks i wanted - his communication, turn around AND pricing cannot be beaten.

Dont take this as an advertisement, i paid full price for everything. Just wanted DSG folks to know there are more options out there, especially for guys running Cobb APs where typical DSG tunes state "most likely only compatible with OUR ECU flashes" or so on.

GTI_Joe1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info on this! So did your slight clutch slip go away? Were you able to specify minimum upshift points as well as min rpm downshift points when on decel? How's the smoothness of shifting around town (especially slow speed 1st and 2nd gear stuff)?

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info on this! So did your slight clutch slip go away? Were you able to specify minimum upshift points as well as min rpm downshift points when on decel? How's the smoothness of shifting around town (especially slow speed 1st and 2nd gear stuff)?

Slip is gone, holding power seems to be great!! Yes, the bump in shift rpm was exactly how i wanted it. Shifting is VERY quick and it snaps into gear, which is precisely how i like it. Minimal lag from a stop till engagement. He can adjust pretty much whatever youd like, from my understanding. give him a shout at Ian@reflecttuning.com - very nice dude. Tomorrow will be a dry day, ill give it a 3th to 4th full throttle try out and report back, but so far - excellent!

jcarl126

Ready to race!
thank you for the kind words.

Thank you for the continued help!

Seems my Ecu flash hadn’t been requesting the right DSG torque values, allowing for a slow clamp from 3rd to 4th. New ECU flash was loaded and logged last night, sending the logs in today to both tuners to make sure that was the absolute issue. Also have a local shop hooking up vcds and doing s log, as well as checking Dsg fill

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Just pulled the trigger on this tuner as well! I am nervous but excited to see what comes of this. This tune is long overdue.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Another good option for TCU tune! thanks for the info

I had a similar problem. The DSG had achieved its torque limitations after being stage 2 ECU flashed. I wasn't getting slip but more a boost ''hiccup'' - it would cut boost

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Another good option for TCU tune! thanks for the info

I had a similar problem. The DSG had achieved its torque limitations after being stage 2 ECU flashed. I wasn't getting slip but more a boost ''hiccup'' - it would cut boost

Mine does that all the time. torque limit is capped at 375 on my tune, but i always seem to make more since i run E30 and methanol.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Mine does that all the time. torque limit is capped at 375 on my tune, but i always seem to make more since i run E30 and methanol.

TCU tune will solve this problem

It was driving me nuts!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Didn't know Ian made the move to tuning the MK7, that is very exciting. I bought a tuned ECU from him for my A4B5 and it was great.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Can you elaborate on what he uses to do the tune and the pricing? I'm getting damn tired of waiting for COBB to drop their TCU tune. Kinda makes me wish I just went ED and stuck with Maestro.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
From what i know. Its a remote tune. he remotes to your pc and reads the car and then makes the map.

Price: 350 for tune. 300 refundable deposit for data cable. 5 dollars shipping.

Ends up being 355 for a full custom DSG tune.