GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disgusting dirty oil

gr53716

A lot of statements about oil are goofy, including the one that OP made about expecting his oil to be honey colored. Didn't mean to question your many experiences with oil changes.

I was just basing the light honey color on my limited experience of 17000 miles on a 2017 GTI. The oil in the GTI never got dark. I can see there is a range of opinion on this, but I sent off for an analysis kit so I should have some answers soon.

gr53716

Getting some oil while its draining makes perfect sense.

I guess I misunderstood the OP. The way I interpreted is that the dealer told him its normal but then ended up giving him a sample.

Yes, the dealer did tell me that the dark color is normal, but I thought he was feeding me a line of BS so I asked for the sample, which they provided.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
A lot of statements about oil are goofy, including the one that OP made about expecting his oil to be honey colored. Didn't mean to question your many experiences with oil changes.

No i'd say "the darker the BETTER" is right up there towards the top haha. My oil was just changed at around 7K, and was dark brown but not "black or disgusting dirty" as the OP describes at a mere 2500 miles. Either someone drive the heck out of that car or the description was a bit off.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
No i'd say "the darker the BETTER" is right up there towards the top haha
Why? That would mean it's cleaning deposits. If it were still light after 2500 miles I'd say that'd be a sign of a poor quality oil. He didn't say "the more burnt the oil the better" haha. I guess we're just taking the weight of the comment differently.

Bottom line your oil only looks like it does in the bottle for a very short period of time, and that's a good thing.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
No i'd say "the darker the BETTER" is right up there towards the top haha. My oil was just changed at around 7K, and was dark brown but not "black or disgusting dirty" as the OP describes at a mere 2500 miles. Either someone drive the heck out of that car or the description was a bit off.

Like I said, the darker the better. It means it's doing the job right. If your oil is coming out honey colored you're wasting oil and it's not cleaning properly. Maybe you could have cut your 100's of oil changes in half. Synthetic oil these days is more than fine for 10k miles. Yes I know people freak about waiting 10k but that's fine, you do you.