GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tune is no joke... super impressed

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Are there any definitive reports of MK7 DSG trans slipping with just APR's Stage 1 ECU tune?
You can dig up Arin's quote...oh, hell here it is:

"Stock will begin to show signs of slip when the ECU/TCU thinks it's producing around 380 ft-lbs."

And for good measure a disclaimer tidbit from him:

"The stock DSG transmission will stop increasing clamping force once above a torque level it would never see with the stock software. Because of this, in some situations, it will begin to slip, and cause increase wear.*"

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19107

bkuu

Passed Driver's Ed
thinking of finally tuning my 11k gti. UNI Stage1+ with the dsg as well. My fingers are itching. Not sure if i should go all out or just get new tires.

TroyI

Ready to race!
Why wheel spacers? To push the stock wheels out? Are the lug bolts long enough?

I just wanted the wheels to fit the car better. Just for cosmetics.

Attachments

• IMG_20180121_181947_710.jpg
    IMG_20180121_181947_710.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:

billmesh

Passed Driver's Ed
I couldn't believe the difference APR stage 1 was made as well, it's incredible. Added the TCU tune a few weeks back and that made a huge difference as well. Added a drop in filter and she makes a great sound now, disabled the soundactor with my obdeleven yesterday plus a few tweaks. Really really happy with the car now, might have to go for drive today, super warm here in Ohio, finally above freezing for once

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hey where in Ohio?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
You can dig up Arin's quote...oh, hell here it is:

"Stock will begin to show signs of slip when the ECU/TCU thinks it's producing around 380 ft-lbs."

And for good measure a disclaimer tidbit from him:

"The stock DSG transmission will stop increasing clamping force once above a torque level it would never see with the stock software. Because of this, in some situations, it will begin to slip, and cause increase wear.*"

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19107

Who's Arin?

So, according to him, the stock DSG will begin to slip with an otherwise stock GTI w/APR stage 1 tune, since (according to APR's dyno chart) it makes 381TQ...

Will the APR TCU tune protect the DSG clutches better than if left to the stock VW TCU tune?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I made the switch from apr stage 1 to 2 today. Pretty decent bump and a smoother power curve. I can’t wait for an intercooler and is38 tho...it’s never enough ha

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Who's Arin?

So, according to him, the stock DSG will begin to slip with an otherwise stock GTI w/APR stage 1 tune, since (according to APR's dyno chart) it makes 381TQ...

Will the APR TCU tune protect the DSG clutches better than if left to the stock VW TCU tune?
Arin sees the upside of things and trances you to open your billfold, as part of his job description at APR.

The other parts of your question I'm not qualified to answer. But protect yo investment!

I made the switch from apr stage 1 to 2 today. Pretty decent bump and a smoother power curve. I can’t wait for an intercooler and is38 tho...it’s never enough ha
Sweeeeet! Which downpipe?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Everyone forgets how underrated this engine is, the gains are not as big as claimed.

They're pretty damn big.

My car gained 40.3% (Dyno proven in identical atmospheric conditions) going from stock to Uni S2 with an eBay DP and a few worthless intake mods.

APR is running more boost and should be gaining slightly more.

TroyI

Ready to race!
After driving the car with Stage 1 and a drop in air filter for 2 weeks, I can attest to the power gains. I've had to change my driving style to adjust to the extra torque. Wheels spun a lot the first few days until I learned I needed less throttle for daily driving. It is VERY noticeably quicker once you get above about 2300 RPM's.

Of course I'm a little nervous about my DSG tranny... I'm expecting to have to pay to get it redone withing 30K miles. But, hey.... that's what happens anytime you mod a car to give it SO MUCH MORE power. A person has to know that, right? Think about it.... If you take a 600HP corvette and mod it to get 900HP, it's gonna break at some point, much sooner that it would with no mods.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Everyone forgets how underrated this engine is, the gains are not as big as claimed.

Did you mean more than claimed? If not, are you kidding me? These cars have the biggest jump in power off a simple ecu tune than any 4 cyl. Out there. The jump, ratio wise, is up there with gtrs and Ferraris...

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
I get wheelspin in 1st and sometimes 2nd stock, so with the HP increase are you really going any faster from 0-60 since we're limited by traction? I get that it's not all about 0-60 but the vast majority of my driving is off highway and below 60mph.