GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are all downpipes created equal?

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Maybe that's because you are supposed to fit up all connections loosely at first. Make necessary fit checks for alignment and clearance and then, and only then, tighten all clamps starting with the turbo and working back. There should be NO "muscling" required. That can lead to cracking from stress, leaking, and rattling from shifting in the mounts from the stresses induced from forcing parts to where they don't want to go.

This is standard install proceedure for virtually all exhaust systems. I watched the shop (Tuning Gruppe) install mine and we were all very impressed at the great fit of the CTS DP. Mine was the first one they installed on an R.

Yes, sir, im well aware of this. im saying even when loosely connected to the turbo with the flange clamp it still wasnt lining up with the lower mount clamps to start the mount studs. not sure if this one was a bit of a dude, but the rest of the pipe (aside from the bung welds and spatter inside the threads... :mad:) was pretty nice. Still have not received a response from them concerning that.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Yes, sir, im well aware of this. im saying even when loosely connected to the turbo with the flange clamp it still wasnt lining up with the lower mount clamps to start the mount studs. not sure if this one was a bit of a dude, but the rest of the pipe (aside from the bung welds and spatter inside the threads... :mad:) was pretty nice. Still have not received a response from them concerning that.

And here is where the thread title comes to mind! But I am sorry to hear about your experience. Regardless who they are, if they value their customers they will make it right.

Pennsylvania allows one readiness monitor to be set “not ready”. You will fail however if (especially if he’s having a bad day) the tech actually performs a visual and determine you modded the downpipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Connecticut is like this too.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

Maybe the mounting arms of the lower mount need to be 'tweeked' to fit a little since they are basically just bent rod welded to the downtube. Hopefully CTS will provide some advice or a remedy for you. Maybe send a picture.