GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear washer quit working

lokerola

Ready to race!
Well, I assume the line is frozen somewhere, but my rear washer hasn't worked in about 5 days (ever since this cold snap).

The fronts work fine, and I've triple checked that the rear nozzle isn't covered by ice or other crud, so we'll see if it magically starts working again at the end of the week when it warms up. The rear wiper works fine, but not the washer fluid dispenser/nozzle.

And yes, there's a lot of un-frozen fluid in the reservoir.

Anyone else have this happen?

In the meantime I get to stand out in the cold and hand wash my rear window every morning - yea!

adam1991

Banned
I suspect that at some point you had less than stellar washer fluid in there, and it found its way through the tube to the back, and is now sitting there--a frozen slug--in between the nozzle and your current fluid.

Should things work after it warms up, then that's it.

Run a lot of good washer fluid through the back after it's all working.

lokerola

Ready to race!
I suspect that at some point you had less than stellar washer fluid in there, and it found its way through the tube to the back, and is now sitting there--a frozen slug--in between the nozzle and your current fluid.

Should things work after it warms up, then that's it.

Run a lot of good washer fluid through the back after it's all working.

Yea, you're probably right. But man, it's not like I shop for "premium" washer fluid. I normally buy the stuff that's rated to -20 and I'm good to go.

We got to down to about 5 degrees here in DC, and the fronts never stopped working, so why would the rear stop? All speculation, I know. We'll see what happens by Friday - it's supposed to be back up to 60 degrees!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

lokerola

Ready to race!
Marginal fluid plus the engine compartment kept the tank and front tubes warm enough?

Yea, good point. Warm engine block keeping the front lines unfrozen.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Cold weather. It worked when it warmed up.