GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield replacement

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I took the advice of several here and talked to a dealer I like and contacted the shop the use all the time and asked for who is sent to do the glass at the dealer. $900 with oem glass jeez. Not even Rain sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
my experience with Safelite with was 100% with the last 6 or 7 cars with sensors and without, My GTI is nothing special so I don't see that it would be a problem if i need to get it replaced.
one thing I do is go to their shop instead of using their mobile service and I ask to speak with my installer beforehand,

if they can handle an A8 i'm sure that they can handle a Golf but there is always a chance that they can F..up

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I took the advice of several here and talked to a dealer I like and contacted the shop the use all the time and asked for who is sent to do the glass at the dealer. $900 with oem glass jeez. Not even Rain sense

SafeLite has an approved list of local vendors. Talk to people / browse online to find a vendor with good reviews and see if that particular vendor is approved by SafeLite. Thats how i found my service provider.

Your dealer might have quoted the actual price of the windshield without considering your insurance information and thats going to be expensive.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

$900?? FULL parts counter list price for that thing is around $400.. can someone very current pricing? They're absolutely fleecing you/your insurance company at that price. They pay even less.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
$900?? FULL parts counter list price for that thing is around $400.. can someone very current pricing? They're absolutely fleecing you/your insurance company at that price. They pay even less.

When i replaced my windshield last year, i was told that the retail price of OEM glass is around $900. His dealer might have quoted the full price without considering his insurance claim.

fm7

Ready to race!
If u will actually be able to watch them do the work, make sure that they are properly removing the old/original adhesive. I had mine replaced by another company while I was watching the guy do it. He did an amazing job. The same dude replaced the windshield on my wife's Tiguan while I was at work, thus not able to watch him like a hawk. He did not properly remove the original adhesive and no surprise there: the new windshield was not seated as it should, and you could hear wind noises from that area at 35 mph. You can only imagine what it sounded like at freeway speeds.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Safelite is 100% hit or miss. it all depends on who the contracting company is in your area. if they have crappy people in your area, you will get shitty Safelite experience.
I will always go with local window companies with great reviews and reputation instead of going with the big name companies like Safelite.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
If u will actually be able to watch them do the work, make sure that they are properly removing the old/original adhesive.

It takes one of the oscillating tools made by Rockwell or Dremel to completely remove the old adhesive. If you don't see them using one, be prepared for water leaks down the road.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Following up: windshield was replaced and it seems to be perfect. I called the local Tesla dealer and they sent me to the same place VW uses. Took 90 minutes or so.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Having this done today with Safelite. A little nervous, as I am with anyone other than myself working on, and around the car. I’m going to prep it by removing the wipers and cowl myself. Hopefully no horrors to report back.