GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing oil in a new car that sat

radiocrash

Hey guys! Just picked up my GTI S on Friday. Absolutely love the car but that's not the point of this thread.

It's a 2017 purchased in December and it had 200 miles on the odometer, I'm assuming from test drives and dealership employees making sure the tires didn't get any bald spots?

Anyway, the oil hasn't been changed. I'm kind of a nut with making sure things are done properly, so I figured I'd ask here. Would you guys go ahead and change the oil or let it go until it's time for a service? I'm concerned with the fact that the oil has been in the car for a while now and the car was barely driven.

Let me know your thoughts!

radiocrash

What's the build date? And how old do you think the oil you plan to use is?

Good question. I didn't even think to check that. I'll take a look later on when I get back to the car.

And that's true, but I feel like when it's unused in a sealed container it's a different story.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good question. I didn't even think to check that. I'll take a look later on when I get back to the car.

And that's true, but I feel like when it's unused in a sealed container it's a different story.

I wouldn't worry about that. I go a year between changes but top it off when it's a half quart low. So I always have a container that was opened. It's not like the air is removed from the bottle and replaced with nitrogen or argon before sealing.