GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front License Plate Holder

tknj99

Ready to race!
So how did you do to mount it there?

I used the VW plate mount that goes into the honeycomb grill and then drilled holes in this piece and secured the plate to it with nut/bolts and then secured the assembly to the grill inside the honeycomb slots via black zip ties.. clean and nothing shown.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I bought the Platypus (or whatever) mount, so it screws together.

Anyone else that can weigh in on this.
Are you concerned that the mount will hit against the bumper due to water pressure?

I don't go through automated car washes, but I go to those coin-op ones since I live in an apartment community and obviously can't wash my car in our parking lot. I have a US Mill Works towhook mount WITHOUT the quick release, so it's like yours. My mount is really sturdy though, so there's absolutely no movement, and it doesn't seem prone to bending.

What I did as a precaution is put those little stick-on felt pads (like the stuff you put under furniture if you've got hardwood floors) on the back of the mount at places that could potentially touch the bumper. This was in case someone/something hit the plate enough to cause the mount to bend/move.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you concerned that the mount will hit against the bumper due to water pressure?

I don't go through automated car washes, but I go to those coin-op ones since I live in an apartment community and obviously can't wash my car in our parking lot. I have a US Mill Works towhook mount WITHOUT the quick release, so it's like yours. My mount is really sturdy though, so there's absolutely no movement, and it doesn't seem prone to bending.

What I did as a precaution is put those little stick-on felt pads (like the stuff you put under furniture if you've got hardwood floors) on the back of the mount at places that could potentially touch the bumper. This was in case someone/something hit the plate enough to cause the mount to bend/move.

That’s exactly what I’m worried about. I did put some rubber stoppers on the back in multiple places but I’m worried the water pressure and the dryers could flex it a bit.

I have to hit the automatic washes in MN because of the road salt - only way to keep the underbody clean.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
That’s exactly what I’m worried about. I did put some rubber stoppers on the back in multiple places but I’m worried the water pressure and the dryers could flex it a bit.

I have to hit the automatic washes in MN because of the road salt - only way to keep the underbody clean.

I have the Rho Plate v2 and been through several touchless and one touch car wash (the touch one with the spinning brushes was not by choice as I found out after the fact that's how the dealer washes their cars) and the plate and bracket has not budged even the tiniest bit. I've also tried to flex the back plate with the license plate mounted by hand and they did not budge with a fair amount of force. So I wouldn't worry about it as far as car washes go. If someone backs into it, well that's another story...

Chickenminnie

I have the tow hook mount and can't stand that it's off center. I did find a plastic one in the back that appears to clip into the grille....is that the OEM one?

jackalope

Ready to race!

I'm always amazed at how people think of the car.

You guys are almost all concerned with damage to the paint.

Meanwhile you're screwing a rigid metal structure straight into the unibody. Somehow it doesn't occur to you that an impact can damage the unibody. Nope, all you care about is the paint, rather than the actual structure of the car.

Weirdly enough I see the same misplaced concern with more serious crashes. People are like "I have a tow hitch so if I get rear ended the bumper will be fine". What?? Really? You want to protect the bumper by bypassing the energy absorption and sending an impact straight to the unibody? Rather than damage a replaceable part you want to damage the actual structure of the vehicle which can never truly be repaired?

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I have the tow hook mount and can't stand that it's off center. I did find a plastic one in the back that appears to clip into the grille....is that the OEM one?

Lol...the off center plate would drive me nuts. If my bumper wasn't already drilled...I'd just tape the plate on (which I've done with other cars)...or just take the risk and not run the plate.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I got a tow hook mount and am not happy with how far it sticks out; I almost clipped it with a bare knee the other day which would have really hurt.

Kits now shipping!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113255979262?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Last edited: