GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD 6 speed DSG "Clunky" Gear Change

GTD184

Ready to race!
Hi all

Have noticed recently that the wife's GTD DSG is quite clunky!....... More noticeably when changing down gears when coming to a stop/slow moving traffic or when sitting at traffic lights and the gearbox is taken out of Drive and moved to Neutral. It is possible to audibly hear and feel the gears selecting/deselecting which gives a very uncharacteristic clunky operation And poor refinement from a gearbox that is often described as smooth!:(

My instincts are detecting a possible defect or fault as it definitely wasn't clunky when she first purchased it.

I have also noticed the engine is idling at 1,000rpm (hot and cold) and only drops off to 900rpm on occasion.

Anyone else had any similar issues with 6speed DSG in their MK7 GTD?

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Take it to the dealer - it should not be anything other than very smooth. When I had similar symptoms with a mk.V they replaced the entire gearbox - in this case you need to bring to to their attention! Idling rpm should only go up to 1,000 during a DPF regen.

Last edited:

GTD184

Ready to race!
Mark V I will be taking the wife's GTD to VW dealer tomorrow, I have been using the wife's GTD for the past month as she is recovering from major invasive surgery, hence noticing the problems as mentioned. The "clunky" gear change is 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 1st. The high idle speed is pretty much 95% of the time......just hope the dealer don't start using the "characteristic" excuses!!

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Don't worry - the 'characteristic ' of DSG is its super smooth gear changes - everyone knows that. If the do try to fob you off just go to another dealer.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Can't comment about DSG operation but that idle rpm does appear high. Mine also ticks over at 900 once its warmed up