GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heated seats without engine running ?

TDI-CROSSGOLF

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it possible to have heated seats while in "standby" mode without engine running ?

The lights for the heated seats are on, but display shows "off" and no heat...

Thanks

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If the lights for the heated seats illuminate and you can adjust heat level then they are working. The heated seats just use electricity, and are separate from the Climate Control system which reads OFF. By no heat do you mean from the seats even when the light is on showing them working? Because that would be a mystery. Next time I go out to the car I'll see what happens.

SRoads

Ready to race!
They take a significant amount of current and would drain the battery quickly. They are only available normally with the engine on.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think they will automatically shut down before the battery runs down. I think with the ignition on "Accessory" they work. It's been awhile since I tried.

TDI-CROSSGOLF

Passed Driver's Ed
They take a significant amount of current and would drain the battery quickly. They are only available normally with the engine on.

I would have hoped that the "system" would turn them off when the battery gets low enough to be a concern....everything else is so darn smart in the car!

Can they be modified or programmed to work in Stop/Start mode at my own risk ?

Or maybe they do work and I didn't wait long enough...I will try again

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I think they will automatically shut down before the battery runs down. I think with the ignition on "Accessory" they work. It's been awhile since I tried.

I remember the light being on when i was making changes with the OBD11 just ACC on/engine off, but not sure if they were actually heating (can't remember).

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I doubt they are on and I wouldn't want them to be as already mentioned they take a good bit of juice.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
The heated seats in my Maxima only drew 5 amps on HIGH, I doubt the GTI pulls any more than that. I run my heated seats at 1/3 once they are warmed up, and have left the car in standby for up to 20 minutes with the radio on, LED DRLs going, heated seat at 1/3 and the running lights on. The car always starts fine 11 hours later. Same car battery since 11/2015. Only battery on my GTI that seems to wear out prematurely is the key fob.