GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB1 MDI Swapout

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
I recall seeing on a thread somewhere (perhaps Vortex) that it might be possible to swap the MDI input with the newer aux+USB. I'm wondering if this is true? Or would it require a full-on upgrade from MIB1 to MIB2?

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
No benefit to swapping to USB. In fact, worse off, as you would lose video playback functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
No benefit to swapping to USB. In fact, worse off, as you would lose video playback functionality.

Assuming he's not playing video (who does?), it would be worthwhile to get rid of those shitty VW MDI connector cables, which are pure crap, and go straight USB. Well worth it IMHO, having wrestled with both types.

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
I don’t have issues with the MDI.

It charges my phone, streams music and artwork.

USB has no benefits over MDI - unless you need to charge other devices via USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
I'm not interested in video playback. I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea for infotainment, given it's a huge distraction for drivers.

After extensive searches and reading, my conclusion is that it just isn't possible to swap out the factory MDI port with the one used in the MDI2 systems on newer models.

I don't know whose genius idea it was to assume everybody has an iPhone and essentially crippled those of us with Android since early MK7s don't support Android Auto or anything related to it, but that port is rendered useless for me. I'd like to be able to playback my hi-res audio with album art and that is not possible with the stock system. It says it will over BT, but it doesn't. :mad:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Easy solution: mdi-to-usb adapter p/n: 5N0 035 558
Questionable solution: figure out how the euro's did it. It's listed in the parts catalog, looks like 5g0035222f and 5G0 035 953 A (or 5G0035953C) are needed. Then, assuming mib1 even recognizes this, vcds coding to enable usb-input as a media source. No one to-date has got this option figured out for 3 reasons: 1) because MY15 MIB1 is such a small audience 2) MDI-to-usb cable 3) no one has done it before. Basically unknown territory.
Tough solution: MIB2 swap

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
Tough solution: MIB2 swap

I've all but accepted this to be the only viable solution. So cost prohibitive, though.

There doesn't seem to be enough information on 3rd party "faces" that run on Android, but they supposedly interface with the brain the glovebox, still utilizing the steering wheel controls. The only thing that seems known is that it renders the TPM inaccessible.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I recall seeing on a thread somewhere (perhaps Vortex) that it might be possible to swap the MDI input with the newer aux+USB. I'm wondering if this is true? Or would it require a full-on upgrade from MIB1 to MIB2?

Per my understanding it is not possible with the MIB1. As stated an adapter is the easiest solution.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'm not interested in video playback. I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea for infotainment, given it's a huge distraction for drivers.

After extensive searches and reading, my conclusion is that it just isn't possible to swap out the factory MDI port with the one used in the MDI2 systems on newer models.

I don't know whose genius idea it was to assume everybody has an iPhone and essentially crippled those of us with Android since early MK7s don't support Android Auto or anything related to it, but that port is rendered useless for me. I'd like to be able to playback my hi-res audio with album art and that is not possible with the stock system. It says it will over BT, but it doesn't. :mad:

I suspect it's something as simple as fast approaching deadlines, and scrambling to get ~something~ out. They went with the most popular phone in America.

Both of my 2015's came with a freaking 30-pin connector.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've all but accepted this to be the only viable solution. So cost prohibitive, though.

There doesn't seem to be enough information on 3rd party "faces" that run on Android, but they supposedly interface with the brain the glovebox, still utilizing the steering wheel controls. The only thing that seems known is that it renders the TPM inaccessible.

TPM? tire pressure?