GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8tsi DIY muffler options

oilcountry

Looking to make the wife's golf slightly louder, and she wants bigger tips aswell. I was thinking about going the resonator delete kit route, and then installing universal tips on the stock muffler. However, I'd prefer keeping the resonator and if possible installing just a muffler. Are there and muffler delete "kits" or does anybody have experience using a clamp-on universal muffler that I could do myself? Trying to keep this low budget, I have the AWE track exhaust on my 5 speed but I think that's a little overkill for an automatic.

anjoVW

Ready to race!
Looking to make the wife's golf slightly louder, and she wants bigger tips aswell. I was thinking about going the resonator delete kit route, and then installing universal tips on the stock muffler. However, I'd prefer keeping the resonator and if possible installing just a muffler. Are there and muffler delete "kits" or does anybody have experience using a clamp-on universal muffler that I could do myself? Trying to keep this low budget, I have the AWE track exhaust on my 5 speed but I think that's a little overkill for an automatic.

I don't know if there are muffler delete "kits" around, but for like 90 bucks I had my muffler chopped off and welded with a bent pipe and 3.5 outlet tips I bought off Amazon. Same thing goes for the resonator swap (didn't delete, replaced with a smaller res from Vibrant Performance). If you did a DIY muffler delete it would be tough since you'd need to make that s shape bend to get it to the left exit.

anjoVW

Ready to race!

anjoVW

Ready to race!
Is a complete stock GTI exhaust an option?

Not sure how much it would cost for a Stock exhaust, but you'd have to buy the diffuser anyways so that could add up too (I could be wrong). The muffler delete definitely sounded louder than the stock GTI, which my brother has, and not too loud just aggressive. You don't have to have it welded either, you could work things out and ask to have it clamped on instead if you want it to be temporary.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
You can get an aftermarket diffuser, which, who cares it's a diffuser, for less than $80. There was a link to one posted in an earlier thread. Then if you find a GTI catback they are usually super cheap used. My bet is around $200 all said and done.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I thought it sounded better with just the muffler delete. A nice growl, but still smooth.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I did a muffler delete with center exit 4" black MagnaFlow tips. If you want more sound, do a muffler delete and keep the resonator.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
My goal is to build a Frankenstein exhaust out of the front half of a GTI exhaust, the rear half of an Alltrack exhaust, and a rear diffuser from a 4Motion Sportwagen for my 2WD Sportwagen.

I just have to wait until someone makes a performance system for the Alltracks and people start dumping their used ones.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I thought it sounded better with just the muffler delete. A nice growl, but still smooth.

Cane to say the same thing.
Would rather car was silent, kind of unsuspecting. Then when you get on it, just quietly surges forward wish just a turbo wooooosh. Especially head to head against these straight pipe V8 mustang, chargers, camaros I seem to see everywhere recently.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Mufflers are what will give you a specific characteristic exhaust note depending on their chamber design. Here is what I recommend, unless you just want loud unrefined sound. Replace stock suitcase muffler with a straight-through aftermarket muffler of your choice (MF, Borla, etc.) and install some decent dual outlet tips. Also, replace stock resonator with lighter aftermarket resonator. You will lose ~15-20lbs in most cases and exhaust note will be much improved, yet refined and civil. If you plan to do a DP later, this will still keep the exhaust note refined and under control, especially during normal cruising, as opposed to just removing one of these two components.