GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

adam1991

Banned
if coming to a stop after downshifting I generally just let it slow to a stop, as it will go back to "D" when it is fully stopped.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

If you leave the shift lever over in the normal leftward position, and then use paddle shifters, it will always return to D after 10 or so seconds of not touching a paddle--no matter what. (You can also pull and hold the left paddle to force it to return to D.)

But if you slam the lever over to the right, to Tiptronic manual mode, it will never go to D. You can use the lever OR the paddles to select a gear.

More importantly, in Tiptronic the system will auto-shift the DSG up and down to protect itself from over- or under-revving the engine.

I think that was the question: do you put it into Tiptronic, shift it yourself when driving (paddles OR shift lever), but let it shift itself step by step down to 1 automatically (instead of you shifting it down) as you slow down to a stop?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I bump it into neutral when coming to a stop in sport mode. The downshifts are so violent. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with JB1 or not, but in drive it's fine. Sport mode requires stopping in neutral IMO

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Do the brakes on the GTI with PP seem loud to you guys? I have a 2018 and they seem to make a lot more noise than any other car I've owned. They sound much like when the rotors are rusty but they sound like this all the time.

Edit: I was missing two words for some reason

Last edited:

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Do the brakes on the GTI with PP seem loud to you guys? I have a 2018 and they seem to make a lot more noise than any other car I've owned. They sound much like when the rotors but they sound like this all the time.

I hear a slight knocking sound the moment I come to a complete stop unless I brake super gently. Is that like yours?

SendyMk7

So let me ask my own stupid question: When the gear is manually selected using paddle shifters or manual mode, is traction control disabled?
Also, if Sport mode is selected (by pulling the lever rearward), is traction control disabled?

No, traction control is not disabled automatically when using paddle shifters and/or when in sport mode. Also, pulling the shift lever backward into “S” only puts the transmission into sport mode, not the rest of the features effected by selecting sport mode through the actual mode select button (DCC, soundaktor, differential, steering, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SendyMk7

Do the brakes on the GTI with PP seem loud to you guys? I have a 2018 and they seem to make a lot more noise than any other car I've owned. They sound much like when the rotors but they sound like this all the time.

I have a 2017 Autobahn with PP and have driven a 2017 Sport (without PP) and noticed no difference.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
It doesn't sound loud to me, but I have a 2017, and idk if they changed anything there
I have a 2017 Autobahn with PP and have driven a 2017 Sport (without PP) and noticed no difference.

The 2017 Sport comes with PP. I'm guessing you drove an S if there was no PP, as it was the only trim in 2017 without it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bigdave79

Ready to race!
Can someone enlighten me on what this piece of foam is under the shift boot? I had my boot off today to align the shift cable ends, and discovered that my foam is torn almost the entire way around. (I know the dimple in the foam is for the shifter's home position, I'm referring to the entire foam piece)

Sort of related to this post... I'm planning on doing a shifter alignment this week. Do I just punch a hole in the dimple in the foam underneath the shift boot to insert the alignment pin? Or do I have to remove the whole foam insert? Thanks!

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Do the brakes on the GTI with PP seem loud to you guys? I have a 2018 and they seem to make a lot more noise than any other car I've owned. They sound much like when the rotors are rusty but they sound like this all the time.

Edit: I was missing two words for some reason
I have a 2018 as well and have no noise or issues coming from the brakes other than those super dusty OEM pads.

Panhead48

Passed Driver's Ed
That's pretty much what I do. I just wish Sport mode went to 6th gear. Maybe a DSG tune in my future?
I am new to this website having just bought a 2016 GTI S. All my previous VWs were air cooled. This is what I have found so far. If I use the Mode button and the Sport Icon on the center screen it goes into Sport mode. More steering effort, different throttle response and higher shift points, also it downshifts sooner. If you shut the car off in sport mode it defaults to normal. The center screen will say Sport but the screen between the gauges says D. You can go to the touch screen or use the shift lever to get back to sport. Also if you are in sport mode and you activate cruise control it will go into 6th gear. When you cancel the cruise control it will shift out of 6th.

hurtmypony

Passed Driver's Ed
Not necessarily exclusive to this forum, model or brand, but something I've always found curious...why does nearly everyone blur/blank out/physically cover their license plates when posting images of their cars?

Is it to preserve their online anonymity - perhaps a measure toward keeping others from associating their online identity with their real-world one via some licensing database or something?

Or is it some other reason or vulnerability I've overlooked?