GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PVC Valve Issue?

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Anyone familiar with how to diagnose a marginalized pcv valve? I am getting oil weeping on the back of the engine recently and a strong smell of oil vapor in the car sometimes. Oil has gone down by maybe a .25qt in 2750 miles. Previously held steady. Car seems to run fine on JB4 map 2.

I read in one post that if you take the oil cap off with with engine at idle and put a card over the hole it should flutter back and forth. True? I dont know. But when i did it, the card was virtually sucked into the hole.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

alexspeed3

Passed Driver's Ed
I have seepage in a lot of places, which I am trying to get addressed but the dealership keeps telling it is normal (thread in the engine section).

When I do the pcv test I get the same result, the idle rpms seen to go up a bit but there is definitely vacuum at the oil cap. Hopefully more experienced guys chime in on this. My car is at 17K no tune.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
yeah, i read your thread. Such low mileage for oil weeping issues. Most of my japanese cars have been over 100k when exhibiting these issues. Mine has 13,750k on it, and started losing oil when i did my last change at 11k. First 10k did not lose any oil.

Hopefully you get yours worked out. Sounds like pcv or rear main seal. How much oil are you using?

Last edited:

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
PVC valve?

Isn't that for sink drains?

Hah, i had a feeling i had it mixed up. PCV. Postive Crankcase Ventilation. Not sure what I was thinking.

Internexus

Ready to race!
I'm experiencing the same thing you are that the card stock is darn near pulled inside the engine. I have a new PCV valve sitting on my counter ready to be installed this weekend. I'll be finding out real soon whether this remedies the issue and it goes to the pulsing instead of suction at the oil cap!

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I'm experiencing the same thing you are that the card stock is darn near pulled inside the engine. I have a new PCV valve sitting on my counter ready to be installed this weekend. I'll be finding out real soon whether this remedies the issue and it goes to the pulsing instead of suction at the oil cap!

Cool. Keep us informed with the results

Internexus

Ready to race!
x-post from my own thread...

I was able to swap out the PCV today and get everything buttoned down.

I started the car up and upon trying to remove the oil cap there is extreme vacuum and it's quite hard to remove the cap and immediately causes surging similar to what I had prior. So overall I'm not sure if anything has changed, I'll keep an eye on the oil consumption and see if it slows/stops. May also grab a new oil cap as well just to ensure that it's not a contributor as well.

Internexus

Ready to race!
You sure it's not the valve cover gasket? Did you clean all of the oil residue off while you had the PCV off?

I've not been able to spot any oil in my situation. I've had a thorough look at both the top and the bottom halves of the motor with the covers off and there is no apparent leaking/dripping and definitely no oil on the floor either. Furthermore there's no smoke or burning oil odors in the engine bay.

lo-vw

Passed Driver's Ed
My PCV was leaking a few times.
What seems to happen is carbon builds up on the flap and keeps it slightly open/leaking.
Pop the top off of it and clean the carbon off of it and everything was back to normal.

Az_me

I am having the same issue, minute oil leakage around the oil filler cap and valve covers more towards the turbo side.

asked my VW service personal a few time's reg. this issue but they keep on telling me its normal.

would appreciate if someone can give a solid answer.

alexspeed3

Passed Driver's Ed
I am having the same issue, minute oil leakage around the oil filler cap and valve covers more towards the turbo side.

asked my VW service personal a few time's reg. this issue but they keep on telling me its normal.

would appreciate if someone can give a solid answer.

I am of the opinion that it is normal at this point. Just the way this engine is. Mk6 forums and few Mk7 threads seem to agree. There are few that will say no seep is normal but I think the majority of gti probably have seepage along the valve cover in the back (not easy to spot unless you are looking for it).

Internexus

Ready to race!
I am of the opinion that it is normal at this point. Just the way this engine is. Mk6 forums and few Mk7 threads seem to agree. There are few that will say no seep is normal but I think the majority of gti probably have seepage along the valve cover in the back (not easy to spot unless you are looking for it).

My 65 Mustang having seepage from the valve covers is acceptable. My 2015 GTI losing a quart of oil per 1,000 miles is beyond unacceptable. I don't understand why anybody would just go ahead and chalk it up as "normal at this point" and go along with it. We spend a lot of money on these vehicles because they are an improvement in technology, reliability, performance, and more over the previous generation. If VW wants to claim that this is "Normal" then I will make sure that my normal does not include a VW in my driveway in the future.

Not trying to crap on you at all, but I want to point out that we as owners should not be accepting of anything less than high standards with our hard earned money and the vehicles we purchase.