GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV Testing Procedures?

Internexus

Ready to race!
I was able to swap out the PCV today and get everything buttoned down.

I started the car up and upon trying to remove the oil cap there is extreme vacuum and it's quite hard to remove the cap and immediately causes surging similar to what I had prior. So overall I'm not sure if anything has changed, I'll keep an eye on the oil consumption and see if it slows/stops. May also grab a new oil cap as well just to ensure that it's not a contributor as well. Any thoughts?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I was able to swap out the PCV today and get everything buttoned down.

I started the car up and upon trying to remove the oil cap there is extreme vacuum and it's quite hard to remove the cap and immediately causes surging similar to what I had prior. So overall I'm not sure if anything has changed, I'll keep an eye on the oil consumption and see if it slows/stops. May also grab a new oil cap as well just to ensure that it's not a contributor as well. Any thoughts?

I checked mine today with engine running. I have vacuum (more an under pressure) when I opened the cap, no problem at all. Opened it with half warmed Engine. You feel the resistance.

/Peter

Internexus

Ready to race!
After giving the vehicle some time and miles I checked the oil the other day and I am down 3/4 of a court so the PCV valve definitely did not remedy my oil consumption issue.

This leaves me with likely needing to take the vehicle to the dealership for a leak down test which I have no interest in as I don't want to pay for something I feel should be covered under the Powertrain Warranty. If and that's a big IF the issue turns out to be related to something that can be covered under the warranty then I would be reimbursed the amount. Any other ideas??

nunex

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, reviving this old thread:

I suspect my PCV valve failed. Here are the symptoms, so any of you can confirm this can really be the case:

At idle:
- PCV valve vent hole suck in air very strongly and make a great sound. Then, when I turn the engine off, it keeps whistling for some 5 seconds like a punctured tire loosing air (but opposite). There a great vacuum inside being filled in.
- The oil cap is extremely hard to remove, due to vacuum. The engine idle is not changed at all upon removal
- After the engine warms up, I have a high idle not stable (fluctuating 1200 - 1700 rpm) and whining noise

Error codes and check engine light:

- Intake Air System Leak
- Idle Control System (RPM higher than expected)
- MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation fail

Thanks!

Update as of 27/09/2023

Replaced the PCV valve.
Deleted error.
Problem solved and back to nominal working condition.

Last edited: