GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
99% DSG owners don't go for 600 wtq, so your assumption is not valid. 99% DSG owners stay under 400 wtq.;)

You still spend 1100 for the option and 700 for the tune you'll need.

You still spend the same amount as someone who has a manual buying and installing a clutch.

If you end up going for it all it's even more expensive to go the DSG route.

The point I was making ^

You

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Question, why does it need to when DSG's walk manuals all day long?
I completely understand manuals offer more engagement, but performance wise, there is no comparison.

Doesn't "need" to, I was pointing out that it can't.

The gearing in the DSG is built around this too, hence why there's two first gears pretty much(1st and 2nd) a 2nd 1/2 gear(3rd) a normal 4th, and two overdrives.

The Clubsport S doesn't use a DSG because of weight, and the gearing is better for a road course.

In sheer acceleration times, like 1/4 mile, the DSG is faster.

These are all things I've said before.

No where have I stated that one is better than the other. I point out some flaws of the DSG that basically is the flaws of ALL dual clutch manuals and people start getting all bent out of shape.

There is no such thing as the perfect setup, each side has it's benefits and disadvantages.

A sticky tire won't last as long

More boost creates more crank case pressure and heat

An aggressive clutch is harder to drive smoothly

There is no winning or losing.

Only preference, with benefits and disadvantages on each side. I am not coming up with what I said because I drove a DSG once and own a manual and try to justify my decision.

I have a DSG car and a 6MT car. Only option that makes a driving difference between the two cars is the DSG car has DCC the 6MT car does not. Both have the fender audio, a sunroof, leather, and the performance package.

Both at one point both were APR S1 HO with a TCU tune on the DSG car. If I was forced with the DSG car forever I'd live with it and run in manual mode all the time and bitch about the gearing past 80 MPH is way too fucking long.

I would be the extreme minority. I typically am when it comes to cars. It's ok. Doesn't mean I think people with DSGs are stupid/dumb/less than me.

It's plain not for me, and those were the reasons why.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Exactly. And they go to extremes to "prove" their talk.

What's hilarious is watching them talk about shifting their cars in a manner not unlike how Prius drivers talk on forums about hypermiling their cars. It's the exact same sense of "look at how well I handle the car's system" satisfaction and self-righteousness.

There is a lot of this in here I agree.

I entertain the forum/myself with a long, well thought out, sarcastic post, and people feel the need to justify why "theirs is better".

It's a sociological thing, people want to be accepted by their peers, I understand it.

If people weren't different, society in itself wouldn't exist. Options such as this and the need to further improve would never happen.

It's the same way people feel the need to defend the slightest thing when you point out a flaw. Everyone/thing has them, and if people can't identify and own up to their faults, then you can never truly improve it.

Person.
Car.
Recipe.

Anything.

Despite the flaws, I've bought this car twice and I still would.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
99% DSG owners don't go for 600 wtq, so your assumption is not valid. 99% DSG owners stay under 400 wtq.;)

What engineering units are wtq? :confused:

On the topic...My GTI is manual, and GSW is auto (non-DSG). It is a love/hate relationship with both.
I've driven DSGs (mostly loaners) and didn't really impress me that much over conventional auto gearbox (such as modern ZF - not a 1985 Buick auto), if anything it was worse in stop and go traffic.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Silly threads like this make me long for the days when the Mk1 GTI was all of 90 hp, barely sliding under 10 seconds 0-60, but was still one of the most fun-to-drive cars on the road. Nowadays, many (or even most) of you guys want to turn the "hot hatch" into some kind of street monster, capable of ridiculous sprint times and ready to "walk" other cars at will. If that's really what you're after, why are you driving a little hatchback at all?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If this thread has to be closed we've failed as a society.

It's not that hard to be mature. Read what you have written before you press send. If you think "man this guy sounds like a douche" maybe don't go through with it.

LS1

Passed Driver's Ed
Excellent point:

Silly threads like this make me long for the days when the Mk1 GTI was all of 90 hp, barely sliding under 10 seconds 0-60, but was still one of the most fun-to-drive cars on the road. Nowadays, many (or even most) of you guys want to turn the "hot hatch" into some kind of street monster, capable of ridiculous sprint times and ready to "walk" other cars at will. If that's really what you're after, why are you driving a little hatchback at all?

BaronGTI68

Passed Driver's Ed
As an enthusiast in my late 40s, I can attest to the bio mechanical challenges of getting older and trying to toss around a car like I did was in my early 20s. Not really an excuse though because I used to know a retired GM engineer in his late 60s who scared the stuff out of me at Watkins Glen in an ex-Porsche Cup car... 5 laps in that beast on the long course was enough, and humbling. Notably it had a sequential 'box with a short service life that was insanely expensive to rebuild...

Patagonian

Passed Driver's Ed
My left knee doesn’t like to daily a manual so I’m reserving it for a weekend car down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes two of us and the DSG means I can still enjoy a hot hatch. Plus if you have to deal with the traffic in the UK nowadays why would you drive a manual?