GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
If you read the "Magic IC" thread, they worship that IC for having large core and cheaper price (around $300ish).

According to them, it is foolish/dumb to pay more than $300 ish for any IC.

Seriously though it could work well and is a bargain compared to other options, but I’d be worried about quality control and fitment. Boost leaks are no fun.

Materials and design matter more than volume.

Could work out great for you, who knows. I’m not rolling the dice though

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep, remember fin density and design affect cooling performance as well as pressure drop. I'd have no doubt a Chinese IC will work about 90% of the time but that 10% is what separates the cheap ones from the others. Still think most people could get away with a Chinese IC tho.. It's what I run in my 3000GT just fine lol

Zx2man

Ready to race!
If you read the "Magic IC" thread, they worship that IC for having large core and cheaper price (around $300ish).

According to them, it is foolish/dumb to pay more than $300 ish for any IC.

Meh. To each their own. You’re car-you’re money. Some of us come from multiple turbocharged platforms- mitsu eclipse-srt-mazdaspeed-evo and so on.

Many of us have had zero issues running off brand intercoolers. I personally havnt. Long as the welds are solid and its built to work, to do the one job I want a ic to do-reduce charged air temps pre engine, then im a happy clam.

But its also good to be careful. And nothing wrong with taking no chances to get a higher teir product. But if a cheaper product is out on the market long enough with stellar reviews, ill usually roll the dice.
End of the day get what you want. That being said, im willing to bet most cores are sourced from China anyhow. The hope with a more expensive brand is better quality control. Which is indeed important.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Pretty good - whats the ambient temps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't remember. I'll make sure to note ambient next time out. They were at night as well so probably low.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Don't remember. I'll make sure to note ambient next time out. They were at night as well so probably low.

So you're saying I should stop overthinking it and order the uni intercooler today while its still on sale? lol I'm going IS38 as well and my biggest concern is that it won't perform as well as an IE or Wagner.

SRoads

Ready to race!
So you're saying I should stop overthinking it and order the uni intercooler today while its still on sale? lol I'm going IS38 as well and my biggest concern is that it won't perform as well as an IE or Wagner.

Uni is plenty of volume for any tune on an IS38. Unless you live in areas like vegas or phoenix where it is 105+ for 3-4 month out of the year it's not worth the extra expense. As with anything if you really "want" it or you've convinced yourself you "need" it and you got the money...who are we to judge. I see the extra $150 as a set of sainless brake lines.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

Its up to you man. For my purposes, the uni ic is fine since I dont road race and only do short pulls at a time. Im sure the bigger intercoolers will outperform the uni unit and give you more room to grow but that comes with an added cost.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

Given the similarity the full size FMIC's have it's going to take a well controlled series of tests to distinguish performance differences. If you want to know what the best one is, put your wallet away because it will take a long time to figure that out.

rafamonteiroo

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello friends,

I have a GTI MK7 with IS38 and for now intercooler OEM GTI ...

I am behind an upgrade in the intercooler,

I like the CTS FMIC for the visual it provides and also for the lowest value ...

Will it perform well with the IS38? Or is it better to look for Wagner Intercooler?

Do I have a lot of IAT difference comparing Wagner vs CTS FMIC?

Remembering that I live in Brazil, here the average external temperature is 71F but can easily pass from 95F in summer.

thanks