GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tires for Those of us with a Proper Winter

Loonster

Ready to race!
I had Michelin X-Ice in my Subaru AWD. They were quite good. Not quite as far north as some of the posts here but Minnesota is pretty close to the same environment.

WESTLOCK420

I had Michelin X-Ice in my Subaru AWD. They were quite good. Not quite as far north as some of the posts here but Minnesota is pretty close to the same environment.

I 2nd these, my X-Ice tires are great and have 60,000KM tread warranty. they guarantee the same performance at the bottom of the tread as at the top.

In Calgary too btw :cool:

Hotsky

Ready to race!
Respect to you canadians who are legally forced to run snows. I wish they made this mandatory here in the US
Its not the law in Ontario but we get 5% insurance discount if we do lol. I use winter tires because its worth or for safety also dont want salt eating my summer rims.

I use mitchelin x ice got.them on kijiji pretty cheap

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I'm currently on Alpin PA4's for my winters and I have been pretty disappointed in them when it comes to snowy conditions. I've had the Blizzak WS80s in the past and they were fantastic. Plan to either go back to them after these wear out or go to Nokians as I've heard many good things.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I have Nokian Hakapa... R2 and will not be buying them again next time. They're overkill for the winter we get here in the Vancouver area of BC. Sloppy to drive on since it really ever dips below zero by a couple degrees and when it does actually snow it's heavy and wet and I wasn't that impressed by their performance. I'm going for a sportier winter tire next time around.

DThissen

Ready to race!
I ran General Tires Altimax Arctic on my FRS for a couple years when I lived in Thunder Bay. Even after I lowered the car I never had any issues plowing through snow.

nugetchew

I have always used the Ice guard's on multiple cars never had an issue; always stopped when i needed to and never slipped taking off from a complete stop.

I've been running the Continental on the wagon; I wish i got the Ice guards really noticed a difference when I went to the cottage and barely made it into the driveway.

My 2 cents.

Fretman

Ready to race!
I have the Blizzak WS80 and I find that the tires spin when in snow going from a dead stop. I just don't feel that there's enough traction while driving. I got these tires because they were always rated highly every year. Maybe I'm expecting too much? My previous tires were the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 and those provided excellent traction in snow.

vtr1000sp2

I've had good luck in the past with Blizzaks, Pilot Alpins, X-Ice, and most recently on my previous vehicle, Nokian WRs. With the Golf R, I decided to go with X-Ice 3's in 215/50/R17. The digital readout on the dash matches what I see on Waze with my iPhone and using online size calculators, it was the right size to go with.

The only issue I'm having is occasional front tire rub on the fender liner when the car has anyone other than me in it. The car is lowered with Eibach Pro Kit springs but the issue is really the rims I'm using: 17x8 with ET35. Even with no spacers they sit wider than the Prets with spacers.