GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UK Service Intervals.

Jon2

Ready to race!
I had the Golf serviced today. I thought the service intervals were every 10k miles but the service indicator was reset and when I got home I checked the service page on the MIB and it reckons the next service is due in 9300 miles. I only drove home, which is about 50 miles, so why has the software knocked 700 miles off? It's baffling and a bit annoying.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
If your car is on the time and distance (T&D) service regime (which it appears to be), the official T&D service intervals are 15,000 kilometres or 12 months, whichever is the soonest. Converting 15,000 to miles gives 9,320 miles, hence the reason your car was showing 9,300 miles until your next service.

In the UK, I think it’s accepted that T&D service intervals are 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is the soonest, so in spite of your car counting the mileage down from the mileage equivalent of 15,000 kms you should be OK to cover 10,000 miles before your next service - unless you hit the 12 month limit first.

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
I was under the impression my car needed a 12 month service in January but the car computer claims it would be another 52 days or 3,000 miles. Fortunately, I checked with my dealer and they confirmed it is overdue a 12-month service.
They will reset the computer at the service on Friday.

Jon2

Ready to race!
Thanks for clearing that up, SRGTD.

Here's another thing. The car has done 22k miles and the rear discs were shot. Was told they generally last only around 15k on the back of the Golf. That's outrageous! One of my classic cars is a 30-year-old 2CV with just a tad under 260k miles under its wheels. The front brake discs are the originals and show very little wear. I had a set of pads that last 70k miles and only needed replacing as they had glazed and hardened with age. They still had half the meat left on them, too. And I drive the car like a Frenchman. Harry Flatters everywhere and stand on the brake pedal at the very last millisecond. Modern car parts are poor quality.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for clearing that up, SRGTD.

Here's another thing. The car has done 22k miles and the rear discs were shot. Was told they generally last only around 15k on the back of the Golf. That's outrageous! One of my classic cars is a 30-year-old 2CV with just a tad under 260k miles under its wheels. The front brake discs are the originals and show very little wear. I had a set of pads that last 70k miles and only needed replacing as they had glazed and hardened with age. They still had half the meat left on them, too. And I drive the car like a Frenchman. Harry Flatters everywhere and stand on the brake pedal at the very last millisecond. Modern car parts are poor quality.

My rear discs are on 60k miles original pads as well. However they will not last as long as older cars as they are much more efficient at stopping due to harder pads and softer discs. Never trust a dealer when they say something needs replacing as they are there to make money and nothing else.

JavaGreen94

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a query too....

My Golf was registered 21st march 17, with a service done at 5000 miles in December just before I bought it.

It is obviously a year old in march, do I get it serviced then? Or at 10000 as normal or at 15000 seeing as it's had it done at 5000. I don't want to leave it incase of any issues and them saying well it's overdue a service.

I'll have to check if oil was changed cant remember off top of my head.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I have a query too....

My Golf was registered 21st march 17, with a service done at 5000 miles in December just before I bought it.

It is obviously a year old in march, do I get it serviced then? Or at 10000 as normal or at 15000 seeing as it's had it done at 5000. I don't want to leave it incase of any issues and them saying well it's overdue a service.

I'll have to check if oil was changed cant remember off top of my head.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I’m assuming your car is on the time and distance service regime and not flexible long life and the service that the dealer performed at 5,000 miles was an oil change service (so oil and oil filter changed, and basic visual inspection carried out; maybe check with them to see what they did?). If so, then the next service will be due at 12 months from the last service or when the odometer is at 15,000 miles (i.e. 10k miles after the last service), whichever is the soonest.

Assuming the (VW) dealer reset the service indicator, a reminder should be displayed on the MFD in advance of the service becoming due. It will appear each time you start your car and count down on a daily (or mileage) basis when you’re getting close to the service needing to be carried out. If you’re a low mileage driver (as I am) and do less than 10k miles per year, the reminder first appears around 30 days before the 12 months is up. If you’re likely to do more than 10k miles a year, I think the reminder is triggered x miles before you’ve done 10k miles - not sure what the x figure is, but it will also count down on a daily basis and appear each time you start the car.

The dealer should also have updated your service book to show the date / mileage that your next service is due, and reset the car’s service indicator display on the infotainment unit - accessed by pressing the ‘Car’ button at the side of the infotainment unit screen, then touching the ‘set up’ (small cog wheels) symbol in the bottom R/H corner of the screen. Scroll down to ‘service’ on the screen and touch to open the service info. Details of miles / days to next service should be displayed.

My dealer also attaches a small ‘next service’ sticker to the top R/H corner of the windscreen and inserts the mileage/ date that the next service is due.

Last edited: