GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTT: 2017 Pure White GTI SE Manual for DSG

S97

Passed Driver's Ed
So I bought my GTI a few weeks ago with intentions of taking public transport for my commute. Plans changed and now I'm heading to another (bigger) city with more traffic for college. Drove there today and god was it unbearable.

Wondering if anyone else is interested in trading the other way from a DSG to a manual. Must admit, I have been having a blast in it everywhere but traffic. I'd prefer a matching car but I'm a little flexible as long as the trade value evens out, given my car is essentially brand new.

Located in Austin, TX
2k miles
Pure white 17' GTI SE (LP, PP, leather, fender audio)
Not a single mark on the car. Hand washed it every week or two depending how dirty it's gotten.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I would strongly consider it, but I just installed an IE intercooler on my car last week.

saganian1

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
how bad is the traffic?
in Austin, TX?

i drive a 6 spd manual in nyc traffic everyday, and i enjoy it better than an automatic, if i can do it in nyc traffic, i don't see why it is such a problem for you in Austin traffic.

dsg can be jerky in stop-n-go traffic. if i were you, i would stay with manual, just gotta condition yourself for such traffic patterns, you won't regret keeping it. plus, dsg tran is a lot more complex mechanically than manual, more things will go wrong and you'd have to deal with them later.

nveeser

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW I just picked up a 2015 DSG in White with 20k (Leather, Fender)

I don't drive to work and am regretting not going MT. Been on a motorcycle so long I didn't realize how much I would miss rowing gears.

Not close to even trade but just putting it out there, in case that MT is really bugging you.

(Looking at upgrading to MIB2 in the coming weeks).

SF, CA

S97

Passed Driver's Ed
Decided to keep it. Things worked out to where I’m not driving during rush hour anymore. Threw some mods on the car and I’m really enjoying rowing gears through the hill country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
how bad is the traffic?
in Austin, TX?

i drive a 6 spd manual in nyc traffic everyday, and i enjoy it better than an automatic, if i can do it in nyc traffic, i don't see why it is such a problem for you in Austin traffic.

dsg can be jerky in stop-n-go traffic. if i were you, i would stay with manual, just gotta condition yourself for such traffic patterns, you won't regret keeping it. plus, dsg tran is a lot more complex mechanically than manual, more things will go wrong and you'd have to deal with them later.

I drive stop n go everyday and never have experienced any jerkiness in the DSG. It's a myth or for people who can't drive a DSG properly. It's a non-issue really. DSG is rock solid. Where do people come up with this stuff?

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Sorry. If so many people complain about he DSG being jerky, it’s probab due to the fact that it is jerky. Now everyone has their own idea of what jerky is, but compared to an auto, it is jerky. It’s called an automatic by Volkswagen, so therefore, it should drive like one. You shouldn’t have to “know” how to drive one anymore than you need to know how to drive an Automatic. Is it horrible? To me it’s really jerky if you drive it around town in Sport mode, but even in Drive mode if your on and off throttle it can be pretty jerky.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
You obviously don't know how to drive the DSG nor how different it is from a torque converting type of automatic.

There is a small learning curve in driving a DSG equipped car. If you choose not to believe that then you will continue to have a miserable time driving it.

I have DSG in 2 cars for 6-7 years, never experienced any jerkiness in all kinds of driving situations and settings.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Sorry. If so many people complain about he DSG being jerky, it’s probab due to the fact that it is jerky. Now everyone has their own idea of what jerky is, but compared to an auto, it is jerky. It’s called an automatic by Volkswagen, so therefore, it should drive like one. You shouldn’t have to “know” how to drive one anymore than you need to know how to drive an Automatic. Is it horrible? To me it’s really jerky if you drive it around town in Sport mode, but even in Drive mode if your on and off throttle it can be pretty jerky.
It's jerky because the link between the transmission and the engine is very different from a traditional automatic transmission.

A torque converter has fluid in it to link the engine to the transmission. This significantly reduces vibration and jerkiness.

A DSG transmission shares a lot of traits to a manual transmission. Specifically, the clutches in the DSG basically directly link the engine to the transmission with no fluid to buffer vibrations. It truly is a automated manual transmission at its core.