GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tune is no joke... super impressed

TroyI

Ready to race!
Got my new (used) 2016 GTI tuned with APR stage 1. WOW.

I've had cars from the 1st gen Eclipse's to 6 cylinder G35 to V8 power mustangs. I've always added intakes/exhausts/plenums....and other bolt on parts. After doing these bolt on's, I always say "yeah, I think i feel the extra power".... but in reality, I can't really tell the difference THAT much.

APR stage 1 and a drop in filter on the GTI.... Holy Chit man, you can FEEL it like no other. I'm gonna need to buy tires for the front wheels a lot more than normal.

For those that haven't tuned your car, go do it. It's friggin' impressive.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I remember that initial rush leaving stock. A good turbo can take you to only what a motor swap used to do.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Been wanting to pull the trigger on APR for awhile now... just worried about anything going wrong and being liable for repairs. Might do APR plus, extra $400 is worth it for the peace of mind I think. Also considering getting Unitronic Stage 1 and stacking it with JB4... but not sure.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Been wanting to pull the trigger on APR for awhile now... just worried about anything going wrong and being liable for repairs. Might do APR plus, extra $400 is worth it for the peace of mind I think. Also considering getting Unitronic Stage 1 and stacking it with JB4... but not sure.

Stacking a stage 1 tune is pointless. If you wanna stack go stage 2. Or better yet just pay for a custom tune.

Tico63

Ready to race!
It's incredible bang for your buck. I didn't even add intake or downpipe honestly because compared to the tune I felt it wasn't worth it bang for your buck. Which is just a testament to how awesome the power gains are with just a tune.

But the mod bug won't leave you. See if you can get a dogbone insert or some lowering springs. The reward of proper fitment on the wheels and lowering the car in my opinion is as equally rewarding as APR Stage I. If you don't have the lighting package, I'd suggest some Helix headlights as well.

Most rewarding mods for me on this car was APR Stage I, lowering springs, proper fitment on wheels, and Helix headlights. Changes the car entirely and improves in every way.

Enjoy man! I've had APR Stage I for 18k miles. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES!

Tico63

Ready to race!

APR Stage I is very safe, but each car is different. I've had it for 18k miles and zero issues. I have heard rumblings of issues regarding the APR Stage II Crackle Tune. But I'd probably pass on APR Plus if I were you, less power for more money, for a quality product that is pretty safe to begin with.

If you want peace of mind, you could probably buy a used JB4 and pay a third of the price for similar power gains.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Stage 1 was just as satisfying for me...never felt the need to even go stage 2, though I did pick up a nice catback later on. If you've even been to APR HQ, they give you a tour and you will see an actual wizard that works on the tunes. That guy looks like a legit sorcerer!

Tico63

Ready to race!
Stage 1 was just as satisfying for me...never felt the need to even go stage 2, though I did pick up a nice catback later on. If you've even been to APR HQ, they give you a tour and you will see an actual wizard that works on the tunes. That guy looks like a legit sorcerer!

Me either. I was only tempted with the APR crackle tune, but when I heard just how much it pops, I felt to be too attention seeking & obnoxious.

USP quoted me $1100 for an APR Downpipe + install + (waived) Stage II Tune.
(Excessive pricing I know)

Granted I could purchase a CTS downpipe for $400 + $120 Install + $180 APR Tune equaling $700-$800. Just never saw the value there. But if you're interested in power gains of course it's worth it.

If there's one thing I forgot to recommend is what you mentioned. A catback or just a custom made like mine. Makes the car feel so much more alive especially with a tune.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
For what it's worth, stacking on a Stage 1 tune is a questionable decision.

Tuners set the limits based on what the cat will tolerate. Stacking on stage 1 could possibly lead to burning up a cat.

TroyI

Ready to race!
Most rewarding mods for me on this car was APR Stage I, lowering springs, proper fitment on wheels, and Helix headlights.

I did the lowering springs and wheel spacers the same time I had the shop do the APR tune. Definitely makes the car look a lot better, IMO.