GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD - new car purchase - looking for advice

colgtiturb

Hi All,

Newbie here so please be gentle....

Considering buying a GTD, originally thinking second hand but after looking into it more closely & with taking the dealer finance there's a good argument for buying new. I've never had a new car before so am being very cautious before committing, hopefully some of you more experienced people can help with a few questions...

1) The spec I'm considering is carbon grey, dynaudio, sport & sound pack, panoramic roof. I've also considered the upgraded sat nav but to be honest I can't warrant the extra £700 cost. What are people's thoughts on this spec?

2) My experience of the local VW Dealers has been pretty poor so far with the exception of one who has been very patient with me. The deal (which apparently is at its best now...) is £27455, with a £2k deposit contribution if the finance taken. I missed out on an extra £500 loyalty contribution as I didn't commit yesterday & the deal has now ended. Drive the deal price is £26616. Does this sound like a good enough discount or should I be looking elsewhere?

3) I've currently got a 2002 Mk4 Golf GTI Turbo, which I've had for 11 years - it's been a fantastic car but I feel like I need a change. The performance is pretty good as it's been remapped, how would the performance of the GTD compare with my mapped Golf?

4) I travel about 12k miles per annum, probably 90% on motorway or steady A roads so am hoping to achieve above 55mpg. I know some people have been disappointed with fuel economy. I'm also surprised that some people are suggesting that a diesel is not worth getting unless your driving 20k mikes per annum, what's the general thoughts on here? Should I be thinking of getting a petrol GTI?

Sorry for the long post but would really appreciate people's advice. I'm indecisive at the best of times so all advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Col

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Bollocks....just typed a really long reply and my browser lost it!

Great car, I've had two. My last one was a lemon so I don't have a GTD anymore but was bad luck more than anything...put it down to being a Friday afternoon build.

GTD makes more sense than a GTI IMHO if running costs are in any way a concern. In my view what you lose in performance is negligible vs what you gain in terms of general efficiency. You can absolutely slaughter a run in GTD and it will still return 40mpg.....mid late 50's are possible on a long mixed drive. For the performance on tap really rather good.

Spec wise suggest keeping it simple. Dynaudio worth going for stock audio is fine but this is another league.....the stock nav is excellent (6.5" screen, same res as Pro, SD driven) but if you do fancy the Pro system then consider the tech pack which brings Pro nav + Dynaudio at a good saving vs taking both options separately.

Wouldn't bother with sport and sound unless you really want the red brakes and for it to sound like a woofly V6 diesel.....I prefer the standard brakes and didn't fancy my 2.0 diesel sounding like something it isn't myself but it's all personal choice. Stock they have a soundaktor which makes them sound v nice inside the car anyway (is switchable if you don't like it).

I'd definitely spec app connect and voice control...having neither on my last car (company car, couldn't add spec) drove me crackers knowing the car was capable but those features just weren't activated on my car. For what you'll pay from factory vs getting them activated at the dealers worth doing.

Carbon Grey is really lovely but rather too common now (my last one was CG)....if air had my time again I'd look at Limestone Grey or Tungsten Silver. Bit more individual as far as GTD colours go.

Try car wow and some of the other discount sites...you should be able to get +10% off and still be able to take VW finance quite easily.

Performance wise the GTD will be similar to you mapped 1.8 T 150...the 1.8T will be a touch quicker I'd have thought. TBF the 184 TDI feels v potent at low/mid revs and actually revs out quite nicely so has all the go you really need real world....you can actually exploit the lower gears without risk of getting in too much trouble with the fuzz which is quite nice....given the GTI will practically get to the national speed limit in 2nd gear it's a bit more risqué!

I think the GTD is the right choice of the two cars though and I think you'll really enjoy it. Focus on getting the right colour, spec and deal and all will be golden!

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Hi All,

Newbie here so please be gentle....

Considering buying a GTD, originally thinking second hand but after looking into it more closely & with taking the dealer finance there's a good argument for buying new. I've never had a new car before so am being very cautious before committing, hopefully some of you more experienced people can help with a few questions...

Indeed the PCP plans appear attractive espeically vs nearly new cars.

1) The spec I'm considering is carbon grey, dynaudio, sport & sound pack, panoramic roof. I've also considered the upgraded sat nav but to be honest I can't warrant the extra £700 cost. What are people's thoughts on this spec?

Paint colour and other spec is an individual thing. Dyna audio is good, but not the sort of sound to impress your buddies outside of mcdonalds. Sunroof is good albeit expensive. Any nav will get you from A-B the online services are what enhances them, none match TT live traffic I understand.

2) My experience of the local VW Dealers has been pretty poor so far with the exception of one who has been very patient with me. The deal (which apparently is at its best now...) is £27455, with a £2k deposit contribution if the finance taken. I missed out on an extra £500 loyalty contribution as I didn't commit yesterday & the deal has now ended. Drive the deal price is £26616. Does this sound like a good enough discount or should I be looking elsewhere?

Look around I actually picked mine up from Merthyr, travelling from Birmingham, there is a VW less than 2 miles from my home.

3) I've currently got a 2002 Mk4 Golf GTI Turbo, which I've had for 11 years - it's been a fantastic car but I feel like I need a change. The performance is pretty good as it's been remapped, how would the performance of the GTD compare with my mapped Golf?

My MK5 was a leap ahead of my MK4 and the MK7 very different from the MK5 (all stock).

4) I travel about 12k miles per annum, probably 90% on motorway or steady A roads so am hoping to achieve above 55mpg. I know some people have been disappointed with fuel economy. I'm also surprised that some people are suggesting that a diesel is not worth getting unless your driving 20k mikes per annum, what's the general thoughts on here? Should I be thinking of getting a petrol GTI?

Either way you look at it, ou will be spending over £20k, you will save on fuel but definately not £20k worth in the time you own the car.

Sorry for the long post but would really appreciate people's advice. I'm indecisive at the best of times so all advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Col