GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR TCU (DSG) Tune

vikes4me

For any of you on the fence about getting TCU tune from APR, let me share my experience so that it may help you decide.

I have a 2015 GTI that I took to a shop to install the ECU tune at around 500 miles. After a few months of driving, I decided the DSG was woefully inadequate so I took it back to the same shop to get the TCU 1.0 tune.

My initial reaction to the tune was lukewarm. The tune seems to help a "little" with 2nd through 4th gear, but not much. The problem is the DSG still shifted to 6th gear going at only 48 mph. This was the reason I got the tune in the first place. I didn't want to be in 6th gear at 48 mph in case I needed to put some gas in it to pass a car on the local streets.

After finding out that APR released a software update for the TCU tune, I gladly forked out another $75 to the shop to install the update. What a waste of $75. No difference. How many times does APR expect us to pay $75 to the local shop to download their updates with no results?

Anyway, long story short, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have wasted any money on the TCU tune and just drive it in manual like I am now.

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
For any of you on the fence about getting TCU tune from APR, let me share my experience so that it may help you decide.

I have a 2015 GTI that I took to a shop to install the ECU tune at around 500 miles. After a few months of driving, I decided the DSG was woefully inadequate so I took it back to the same shop to get the TCU 1.0 tune.

My initial reaction to the tune was lukewarm. The tune seems to help a "little" with 2nd through 4th gear, but not much. The problem is the DSG still shifted to 6th gear going at only 48 mph. This was the reason I got the tune in the first place. I didn't want to be in 6th gear at 48 mph in case I needed to put some gas in it to pass a car on the local streets.

After finding out that APR released a software update for the TCU tune, I gladly forked out another $75 to the shop to install the update. What a waste of $75. No difference. How many times does APR expect us to pay $75 to the local shop to download their updates with no results?

Anyway, long story short, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have wasted any money on the TCU tune and just drive it in manual like I am now.

One of the main reasons I am STILL waiting for a tune (ECU/TCU) i can install from home. (Hurry up JB4).. Although, this is the first I heard of someone NOT liking the TCU tune. So you didn't feel like it did anything? Did it at least remove the Rev Limiter? I have no problem with APR at all, I have a problem with having to get the software installed at a APR shop (which is an hour and half drive, added to install and uninstall fees).

Davey Jones

Ready to race!
APR doesn't control dealers charging labor for tunes/updates unfortunately. $75 seems a bit excessive for ~10 minutes of 'work' to hook up the car to a laptop and let the file load.

Tucker3381

Ready to race!

Yeah, I wouldn't have paid $75 for an update. In fact, I would have asked for a refund on the entire tune. Yeah you'd be out labor charges, but in my experience, being out the labor charge out-weighs having to deal with and wait on APR for a proper update.

MK7.5_Roa

Ready to race!
Thank you for sharing the experience. DSG tunes are one of the biggest modifications I'm on the fence about when it comes time for a tune. #Unitronichurryup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drrck

Go Kart Champion
There are many satisfied users of the ED and UM DSG tunes. ED is at home, UM I think may offer a loaner tool.

mec0902

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the APR DSG tune, and it was horrible, barely did anything, and 5th gear was non existent. I paid twice for labor and got it flashed back to stock. I went Eurodyne and was extremely happy with the results. 6th gear still comes a little soon for my taste, but nowhere near the 47-48 mph that the APR tune did. And the car actually uses 5th gear so it will auto downshift to 5th if I'm cruising and input a little throttle, or drive up an incline.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I'm waiting for APR to get the DSG tune dialed in better before taking the plunge. I'd go UM but the dealer is a bit far and their labor price is ridiculous to me.

vikes4me

I had the APR DSG tune, and it was horrible, barely did anything, and 5th gear was non existent. I paid twice for labor and got it flashed back to stock. I went Eurodyne and was extremely happy with the results. 6th gear still comes a little soon for my taste, but nowhere near the 47-48 mph that the APR tune did. And the car actually uses 5th gear so it will auto downshift to 5th if I'm cruising and input a little throttle, or drive up an incline.

Do you know if I can use the Eurodyne tune with APR stage 1?

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion

APR is overpriced always...

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion

The ED TCU tune is pretty great, I agree! D is actually usable now since you can hold gears longer, just takes some modulation with your Go pedal.