GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ambient Lighting & Nav Day/Night setting on GTD

JON1X303

Just a few quick question on the GTD's ambient lighting and Nav day/night setting:
1) Is it possible, through VCDS, to change when the ambient lighting comes on?
2) Is it possible to replace the back door strips with the ones in the front on a 5dr car so it also has the lights? They look similar in size.
3) On the dreary UK winter days the "Auto" setting for day/night on the Nav seems to leave the screen in night settings with black backgrounds a lot longer than I would like. I know you can change it manually between but is there not an "if after 10:00 then change to day" element within the programming or a way to do this? I know when you adjust the time that the lights come on from early/normal to late that has an effect but even on late it can go the whole day in night setting.

Thanks everyone, only my second post on here but the forum is such a great source of information, love it!

GeoBog

Ready to race!
1) No
2) No. They have different shape and size. Also there is no cabling in the rear doors for the ambient lighting.
3) The Nav on the golf is not really clever. On Auto it turns night mode when the headlights turn on. Basically if you pass through a tunnel or a dark place during the day and your headlights turn on, the night mode on the nav will also be automatically turned on. On all Navs I have (the windscreen sticky ones) the Auto setting uses the time and date to switch on night mode.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Just a few quick question on the GTD's ambient lighting and Nav day/night setting:
1) Is it possible, through VCDS, to change when the ambient lighting comes on?
2) Is it possible to replace the back door strips with the ones in the front on a 5dr car so it also has the lights? They look similar in size.
3) On the dreary UK winter days the "Auto" setting for day/night on the Nav seems to leave the screen in night settings with black backgrounds a lot longer than I would like. I know you can change it manually between but is there not an "if after 10:00 then change to day" element within the programming or a way to do this? I know when you adjust the time that the lights come on from early/normal to late that has an effect but even on late it can go the whole day in night setting.

Thanks everyone, only my second post on here but the forum is such a great source of information, love it!
JON: Hi.

Question (1) : what exactly do you want to do with the ambient lighting - it comes on when the doors open'
Question (2) Don't know, but if the front ones fit, there will be no wiring loom in the rear doors
Question (3) Yes it is possible to "extend" the illumination switch-on range. The control module that controls this is (not surprisingly) the Light sensor which on a mk7 is integrated into the Rain and humidity sensor module that sits in front of the rear vision mirror (it's glued to the windshield) . There are three versions of these sensors in a mk7 ; RLS, RLHS and RLFS (your auto-scan report will tell you which version you have). Here is a copy of the pertinent Long Coding Helper
screen

So it's a matter of experimentation as to which value is acceptable. Please note that the RLS/RLHS/RLFS is a "slave module" to the BCM, so finding it with a VCDS cable involves clicking on the down-arrow on the open controller screen.
Don