GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 GTI ECU Upgrade!

The Messiah

Ready to race!
The one pro/con of the Mk7's DSG is that it shift speed seems to be more dependent on throttle input. At full throttle it shifts very fast but at lower throttle it shifts slower than the Mk6. Atleast that's how it feels. S doesn't like to go beyond 6500.
This has definitely been my experience too. When driving more casually, the shifts are almost slow. When driving a bit more spirited they become more snappy, albeit still too slow.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
This has definitely been my experience too. When driving more casually, the shifts are almost slow. When driving a bit more spirited they become more snappy, albeit still too slow.

Odd eh. Pretty sure the Mk6's transmission is faster nearly all the time. Also not a fan of the new pedal set up over the fantastic hinged pedal in the Mk6 (thanks MQB).

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion

The DSG definitely shifts quicker when you are pushing the car. Does anyone else get an occasional very hard and disturbing shift at low speeds when in D mode? I get this occasionally driving around town and I think mostly at the gear change from 2 to 3 in D mode only...

BR MK7

Ready to race!
The DSG definitely shifts quicker when you are pushing the car. Does anyone else get an occasional very hard and disturbing shift at low speeds when in D mode? I get this occasionally driving around town and I think mostly at the gear change from 2 to 3 in D mode only...

Yes! Mine does that and it drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone while on Mars

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion

Yup, where it lunges forward like its about to take off in boost but your only at partial throttle right? The more I drive this car the better understanding the DSG and I have of eachother, but its still far from a perfect relationship. I found that if I'm cruising around 45MPH in "D" and step on it to merge or pass someone the DSG almost always finds that gear that turns the GTI into a rocket-ship... but at 60-70MPH it never has the same effect no matter what input I give it.

Arin, will the DSG tune be released within the next few months?

nis240sxt

Ready to race!
Mine seems to happen as the car is warming up and at low speeds. Almost feels like a clutch drop and feels like it would chirp the tires.

The Messiah

Ready to race!
I think I've done a total of 10 miles in D out of the 2k miles I have on the clock. Only really use it when I pull into the parking garage in the mornings (when I always go slow) at the station. I find D mode annoying whether its regular (shifts too soon) or S (holds gears too long). Shifting manually takes some of the guess work (and surprises) out of it.

nis240sxt

Ready to race!
I think I've done a total of 10 miles in D out of the 2k miles I have on the clock. Only really use it when I pull into the parking garage in the mornings (when I always go slow) at the station. I find D mode annoying whether its regular (shifts too soon) or S (holds gears too long). Shifting manually takes some of the guess work (and surprises) out of it.

Amen Messiah, at first i would exclusively drive in D just for being plain lazy but it's now come to a point where i find D annoying as well and almost always drive in manual mode now too. I only use D for parking situations and really bad traffic situations now.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Mine seems to happen as the car is warming up and at low speeds. Almost feels like a clutch drop and feels like it would chirp the tires.
This is exactly how mine feels but it has happened very rarely when car was warm too.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

Yeah I rarely use D mode. It just bugs me because there's very little engine braking. It bogs for a moment then downshifts to where it should be. S is nice - it doesn't upshift on throttle lift <4K like the Mk6's DSG does.
In M there is a bit of gear whine in the Mk7 in 1st/2nd since tuning. But I prefer either S mode, hitting the paddles as need or M mode. Next step is upgrading to aftermarket paddles themselves so M mode is even better to use.