GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro tails, finally!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah that sounds about right.

For Leuchte27NSL I would code it like the code of the following Leuchte20BR

For Leuchte20BR I would use the code like Leuchte18BLK:

For Leuchte21BR exactly the same as for Leuchte20BR but with “Blinken rechts Hellphase”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to search later because I can’t recall, what is the significance of these settings:
- Lampendefektbitposition
- Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTF-DCC

You’re suggesting changing the values for these from what they default to on my car. Wondering if I need to? And if so, why?

nype

Drag Racing Champion

3 weeks later and I am still waiting for these terminal tools to arrive. They’ll be late if not here by Nov 23. I wish Amazon would show the seller location like eBay does.

So last weekend I got impatient and tried one of these that I found locally. I could immediately see why this type doesn’t work in the smaller VW plugs.

So while I patiently wait for my Amazon China shipment, I was wondering about the tail light plug. From what I have seen on YouTube there is usually a secondary lock. I am wondering on this plug, is it the flap/cover on the top left of this pic?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
So that terminal tool didn’t work. And the one I ordered from Amazon never did arrive. So I picked up a Lisle 55780 and that did the trick.

Had some trouble popping the secondary locks open on the plugs. Used a thin tool but ended up cracking them both a bit. Anyway, they are still holding well enough.

The amber 7440 bulbs that I picked up don’t seem to fit. I’m not sure what type bulb is required. I tried the incandescent clear bulbs as well and they didn’t fit into the amber sockets. Anyone know which bulb type is required here?

Otherwise, really happy with this fun and relatively cheap mod. All of the coding etc is working like a charm. No extra wires had to be run etc etc.

Thanks once again for all of the help and advice on this.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
One oddity that I noticed. When I press the brakes, the amber signals flash for a split second. However, with either left or right signal active, this does not happen. Happens with or without the running lights on.

Any ideas?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for this. Yes, I wonder if the amber bases are slightly modified to try to prevent people from putting clear bulbs in.

I will check out that mazda3 thread in my browser. Doesn’t seem to want to open within Tapatalk.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
One oddity that I noticed. When I press the brakes, the amber signals flash for a split second. However, with either left or right signal active, this does not happen. Happens with or without the running lights on.

Any ideas?

Did some trial and error coding changes today. Could not figure out why the amber rear signals briefly flash with each brake pedal press.

I tried different bulb types, tried disabling all of the rear channels (Lasttyp - not active). Still they flash. But again, they don’t flash when the channel is “active” (turn signal of hazards on).

You see the flash coincide with the audible “click” that you hear from the front area of the car.

It’s as if Leuchte20BR and 21BR (now the amber rear turn channels) still thinking that they are brake lights, but immediately dim. I’m stumped.

Any ideas?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ughh... found an old Vortex thread. wish I had come across it before I got into this. Thread discussing this signal flicker issue with the earlier LED tail installers. Apparently that purple/red wire insists on sending a brake signal, even if just a flicker.

JBale said...

“The main thing that I knew I had to avoid was using the current Pin 1 wire to power the Pin 3 turn signals. For some reason unknown to me the Pin 1 wire wants to be a brake light even after the brake light coding is removed from the adaption channels relating to the pin out. So if that wire wants to be a brake light so badly then that's what I would let it be”

Hmm...can I live with it, or do I return everything to stock...decisions.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Nype,
I‘m sorry to hear about the flickering. I wasn’t aware of that. Maybe that is the explanation why the outer tails light up a little bit earlier then the inner when you do the four/five brake light mod.

You still have some options left.
1. Undo
2. Use LED adapter harness
3. Re-pin at the BCM. Switch A71 to A60 and code 18A60 as turn left. C8 to C31 and code 19C31 as turn right.
4. Undo re-pinning and coding and run two wires to the BCM and connect them with A60 / PIN3 left and C31 / PIN3 right. I can send you two wires with the terminals attached if you want.

I went with option 4 because it was the easiest way in the case I want to undo it before I sell the car.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Not a problem.

I was thinking exactly the same thing re the four/five brake mod and the outers illuminating more quickly than the inners. I was never able to solve this. But with the current wiring and coding, they illuminate at the same time.

I had purchased a BEC harness at a good price on Black Friday. It is already on the way. I think that I will just go this route since there is a lot more info and support online. I’m more comfortable taking the back of the car apart as opposed to running wires front to back etc

But I do see your chosen method as the cleanest.

Are you still using 20 and 21BR for outer brake lights? Do you have that four/five brake light issue still?

Thanks again for your help and advice.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yes I still use 20 and 21 for outer brake lights and I do have this slightly inner delay but I don’t care. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!

You are welcome.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Well at least that mystery is solved. Lol

Preparing for the BEC harness install, doing some reading. I’m guessing that it uses...

20/21 : outer runner/brake
23/24 : left/right signal (wire run)
27 : inner runner/brake (wire run)

Is that correct?

Forgot to thank you for offering to send me some wires. Not going route, as mentioned. Generous of you.

Cheers!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Looks about right. Enjoy [emoji6]

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ok thanks. You posted this earlier.

So I can see how 23/24SL on the inner tails is a non-factor as this pin is not in use on the incandescent inner tails.

Wondering why pin 1 and pin 4 on the outer tails are both wired for 20/21BR? Won’t that make the side LED function as a runner/brake?

Edit: ignore that question. I recall that pin 4 on the ROW incandescent tails is not in use. So non-issue there as well.

Last edited: