GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Back up camera?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Mine works, but the camera is noisy when it rotates.

Is that normal?

Yes.

Consumer Reports actually bitched about this when the Mk7 came stateside. I chuckled.

At least the electronic parking brake is mostly silent. Our '17 Mazda3 has one, and it makes some painful mechanical & motor noises when it's engaged. Sounds a lot worse than the VW camera deploying.

AR11

Ready to race!
Yea - I'm not even going to bother with this until people actually report successful fixes. Nothing good will come of them taking apart my car a half dozen times with no known fix.

...That said, thank you to the brave owners that are still fighting for the cause.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well my entire screen stopped working today. I can still hear my radio but the screen displays nothing. Backup camera of course doesn't display. I only have 1.5k miles on my car too ��

I guess I'll have to flash my ECU back to stock before the visit. Such a pain in the ass.

Don't bother, if you have a flash tune it WILL be detectable no matter what you do after the original install

FatOldandSlow

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had multiple SW flashes, a new head unit, and a new camera installed. No dice. Same thing "Park Pilot is Not Available" (even though I don't have Park Pilot).

2016 R, manual, no tune

copperbricks

Ready to race!
Just to chime in, I've got this issue on my 16 R as well, seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it happens, and no error codes.

I don't mind honestly, my last car didn't have a backup camera and I don't use it too much anyways.

FatOldandSlow

Passed Driver's Ed
They had the car 2 weeks. Assured me it was taken care of. Had someone fro VW look at it. 2nd time I put it into reverse - camera fails to operate.

Copperbricks - I know it is not the end of the world, but it is a HUGE annoyance for me.

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
I know it is not the end of the world, but it is a HUGE annoyance for me.

It is a huge annoyance, and still happens to me about every five car rides. Still not sure how there hasn't been a class action suit.

FatOldandSlow

Passed Driver's Ed
Now that backup cameras are being required, so are considered mandatory safety equipment, I may give a lemon law claim a shot. Doesn't cost anything at all. They have tried to fix the problem 5 times in just over a year, and had the car for well over 3 weeks in those 5 attempts. I am not expecting it to go anywhere, but we'll see what happens.

FatOldandSlow

Passed Driver's Ed
So the local dealership just had my car for 5 weeks - yes 5.

Still can't fix the camera. VW has essentially given up on trying.

Now the car doesn't recognize my keys. One key will start the car as long as it is used to lock and then unlock the car first (if you just get in and try to start the car, it won't work). The other key may as well be dead. Car doesn't respond to it at all.

I see my VW R experience coming to an end soon.

rustywoodstone

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, Just wanted to add this. I have a 2016 DSG. I've had these issues as well. I've had my car in four times now. They done the new software flashes and all that. I also have issues with the head unit connecting with my phone or even just playing the radio. I've escalated my issues to the top regional tech. Or so I've been told. Per VW of NA. They know about this issue and are working on a software fix in the next few weeks. I was told I'd get weekly phone calls with updates. If I hear anything positive I will post!

I honestly don't buy what they are telling me 100%. I think VW knows it's an issue it just depends on if they get around to fixing it.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
If lemon law is a possibility, talk to a lawyer who specializes in such things. Those sorts of delays and periods of time without your car are totally unacceptable.