GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drivers side wind noise?

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
I took delivery of a 2016 TDI SEL GSW about a month ago. Drove it 600 miles back home and noticed a loud wind noise coming from the front window area on the driver side only. By pushing against the glass from the inside the noise went away..
I folded a tissue multiple times and jammed it between the vertical pillar and the glass for the duration of the trip.
Took it in for service and told them about the problem..apparently they adjusted the glass or something and now I don't have the noise anymore.
Before the fix, I noticed from the outside that the glass was not flush against the seal of the short vertical pillar as compared to the passenger side, after the fix it is now flush..

hopes this helps

NOICE Thanks for this!

I got a brand new 2017 - not even 6k kms on it yet, and this morning was the coldest drive it's seen and I started to get a loud-ish wind noise from the driver's side. Not unbearable, but compared to the rest of the cabin, noticeably louder.

Gonna check as soon as i get back to it.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
By an incense candle with a smell that you like. Have one person drive and the other holding the incense candle that is lit and producing a light smoke. Hold the incense candle close to where you think the leak is at and you can see where the smoke exits.

Chuck

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Taking it to the dealer next Friday, will keep everyone posted on results and if I find a fix for it I’ll make a thread designated to it seen as this seems to be a bit of a widespread thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
NOICE Thanks for this!

I got a brand new 2017 - not even 6k kms on it yet, and this morning was the coldest drive it's seen and I started to get a loud-ish wind noise from the driver's side. Not unbearable, but compared to the rest of the cabin, noticeably louder.

Gonna check as soon as i get back to it.

Update: no noticeable window-seal gaps on my windows. Today wasn't as cold, so the noise wasn't as loud...

By an incense candle with a smell that you like. Have one person drive and the other holding the incense candle that is lit and producing a light smoke. Hold the incense candle close to where you think the leak is at and you can see where the smoke exits.

Chuck

I dunno about this, Chuck, I mean; if a seal isn't contacting the glass itself, I can see this working, BUT most times there is contact, its just not enough. When this is the case, the leak is only revealed when the car is travelling at speed and there is significant air pressure to burst through the poor contact area.

Cecil

The problem with mine is it is intermittent. I drove south today and the noise was apparent at 70mph. on the return journey north at the same speeds it did not manifest itself to the same degree. I think its cross winds that cause it.

I have read the previous threads with the pin on the door seal but my pin looks lower than the seal. I wonder if it maybe the seal where the door meets the small window. That does look a potential suspect on mind compared to the passenger side, i will experiment this week.

I also wonder how the wind noise gets past the inner seal too.

guruuno

I have posted on the 'other' VW site as to my experiences.
I, yesterday, found the problem, which I verified where it was leaking (air).
Photos attached.
Now, to see who/how, it can be addressed/fixed.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I also get a bit of noise from diver's door if the car is at certain angles to the wind, not enough for dealer attention but will ask them to take look at the service, due April 2018. Thought it was originating from door seal but I'll defo give that inner panel / trim a good push and see what happens though....

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
UPDATE:
Took my car to my local dealer today, they had a look and felt along the door seal and you could feel where it dipped in a little compared to the rest. Initially thought this would be the problem.

After numerous hours at the dealership they came back and said that the window is misaligned and that this is due to it being taken out and refitted wrong.
Not sure if this is right or if they’re just fobbing me off to be honest. They said they’ve never heard of Scotsure warranty however I’ve looked and don’t think my warranty would cover the window realignment anyways.
VW said they don’t do it and they outsource it to Autoglaze, so to get in touch with them or the place I bought it.

I have since been in touch with the garage I bought it from and they are due to call me back tomorrow to discuss. Hopefully they can offer me some sort of solution or further info into the history of the potential window removal.
Failing all this I’ll just have to get another garage to see if they can realign the window at hopefully a reasonable cost. Not sure if the door seal will need replacing as well as this or if it’s just the window. I’ll continue to update this as things go on if anyone’s interested [emoji23]

Cecil

Thanks to everyone who posted the door seal is the culprit. Had mine replaced today at the dealers at my cost (used car warranty doesn't cover seals) and noise appears to have gone.

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Thanks to everyone who posted the door seal is the culprit. Had mine replaced today at the dealers at my cost (used car warranty doesn't cover seals) and noise appears to have gone.

Is that the seal that goes around the actual door?
A lot of people seem to be saying window seal but I’ve noticed with my door closed I can get quite a bit of my fingers in between the top of my door seal in the centre of it and it feels quite squished almost as if it dips in whereas in other spots it’s firm and compressed.

I’m thinking about replacing this to see if it’s the culprit. Do you mind me asking how much the dealer charged to order and fit that seal?

whitewagen

Passed Driver's Ed

Do you have a part number you can share?

Thanks.

Cecil

Hello guys, the seal replaced is the outer seal that meets with the roof and the small window.

from my receipt the part number is V5G4 837 432 K5 AP 521508/CHANNEL.

There were 2 other parts of a pop rivet and a clip.

The dealer charged me £208 to supply and fit. The parts were £59.70 excl VAT and i was charged 1.5 hours labour.