GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front suspension squeak

Lorenas

Had issue with a squeak in front driver's side. First dealer said it was shock's mudguard (plastic black skirt around shock) was not in a place, fixed. Test drive - same squeak. Then their idea was - door stop broken (bought, fixed replaced myself). As it was suspected squeak remained. Left car again to the dealer - adjusted front brake disc guard plate. Now there's much better but not perfect.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
My wife's 15 Golf SE has had a low speed repeating squeak when cold since it was new, same as Gibberoni said above. Only happens when turning to the left as far as I can tell.

Annoying as fuck. Dealer has simply blamed the brakes each time I've taken it in. I've gotten no satisfaction at all in regards to this. They say it's fixed or they can not reproduce.

Last edited:

SK90

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same - dealer lubed the struts and bolts and arm bushes now it’s quiet as a mouse. Though knowing the awful build quality on VW’s, it’ll be back in a week lmao

Hambert

For the repetitive squeak as the tire rotates while turning, I would bet it all on the brake rotors and pads slightly making contact. I would try doing a couple of very hard stops in a safe area to help clean the brakes and see if it continues to happen. But if it has to do with pad/rotor size and harmonic vibrations there's no much you can do, it will always squeak.

Lorenas

Actually none of dealer efforts brought positive result, will try to tighten subframe bolts today after work. Otherwise one more option (strut bearing change) left on the list.

tarik

Actually none of dealer efforts brought positive result, will try to tighten subframe bolts today after work. Otherwise one more option (strut bearing change) left on the list.

Went to second VW dealer yesterday for brake pedal squeak and suspension noise. I was amazed with the attitude and statements that squeak is "normal." In regard to suspension, they really did not attempt to do anything. They removed some small rocks in the back plate around rotors and tightened sub frame bolts. No luck. The noise is still there.

I plan to take it with VW of America now. I will open the case and list all details including the dealer visits and what they did to remedy the problem (tightened sub-frame bolts, lubed the metal shield above the springs and told me that is normal sound VW makes) --- really lame attempts to solve the issue on the new car.

thanks

Derf

Ready to race!
My money is on the front control arm bushings or sway bar bushings. I suggest spraying any rubber with some silicone lube.

Lorenas

Ihave tightened subframe's 19 bolts with a handwrench. 13 bolts that hold lower fork were under attempt to tighten. Just a problem - while turning them I felt not much resistance and was afraid to overturn them. Anyone knows how much power (Nm) needs these 13 bolts? Anyway the squeak persists. Next step is strut bearing replacement. Easier attempt is sway bar bushing slight lubricating (which I am not so hopeful). If not - i will remove brake rotor safety plate to see if there's any change.

tarik

Ihave tightened subframe's 19 bolts with a handwrench. 13 bolts that hold lower fork were under attempt to tighten. Just a problem - while turning them I felt not much resistance and was afraid to overturn them. Anyone knows how much power (Nm) needs these 13 bolts? Anyway the squeak persists. Next step is strut bearing replacement. Easier attempt is sway bar bushing slight lubricating (which I am not so hopeful). If not - i will remove brake rotor safety plate to see if there's any change.

Lorenas, have you tried lubing the control arm bushings? I took 2 hour drive yesterday and the crunching/squeaking is more pronounced than ever. I will put my winter wheel set on today and use silicone spray on bushings to see if anything changes.

Also, the plan is to call VWoA tomorrow and open the case.

Will chime in later.

Lorenas

I have lubed lower arm bushings and sway bar bushings with silicone spray. Actually I think the problem is with strut mount bearing. While front of the car was up I have attempted to turn each side holding by brake discs. On the driver's side (LHD) there was a slight knock sound. I am unsure whether its coming from a spring/strut or axel. Antway strut mounts with bearings are ordered and I will change them on both sides.

tarik

Just quick update. This Sunday I put my winter wheels set and also lubed sway bar and control arm bushings by applying silicone spray. I did a few longish drives afterwards and hear no noise. The car is unbelievably quiet. I wonder how long it will last.

Now, the question is why I need to lube new German car with only 12K miles on it. :(

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Check your dust shield on the front brake rotors.
I believe they are hitting each other.

Chuck

Ya I used a screwdriver and just poked around the dust shield. Also sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner and so far so good. Thanks!

Lorenas

At last had time to fix that squeak. Changed driver's (left hand) side strut mount and bearing - silent now. Actually would be nice to change other side, but as there's no sound from that one, I'll leave it as it is. It can be a problem has been caused by missing plastic cover cap on top of a strut under the hood.