GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switchable Maps looks linked to modes

Bubba1

First post so please be gentle on me. Have seen a lot of posts about this tuning box or that map etc but was wondering if what I’m looking for is possible.

Many years ago I had a lot of work done on a Toyota Celica with greddy boost controller which basically meant I could have a low power, normal power and high power map.

With all the technology advances is there something out there that does something similar for example eco mode limits the engine to say 140bhp and more of an eco mode, 185bhp “stock” mode for normal and comfort modes and say 220bhp sport mode and all at the selection from the dash?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
From a phone app, perhaps. I don't know about diesels but for the gas engines there are at least 2 piggyback boost controllers that can or only use a smartphone app to change power levels. Nothing like the Greddy that used a "knob". I'm not even sure you change on the fly with the new ones - I think you need to have the engine stopped but I could be wrong. This is the only tune I see and I don't think it's switchable. https://www.racechip.com/shop/vw/golf-vii-from-2012/2-0-gtd-1968ccm-184hp-135kw-380nm.html

I'm not sure decreasing boost levels below stock levels will give you more MPG. Pressing less on the gas pedal should do the same thing.

You can try calling Dinan to see if their gas engine boost controller works on your diesel. If so, you can get 2, 3, 4 PSI over stock, 0 (bypass) and -3 (IIRC) valet mode.

Last edited:

Bubba1

Interesting. As a noob I thought the 2.0 engine came in 140 and 184 formats and the 140 has better mpg as well stock. Is the difference in power and torque all down to tuning or is it a different engine?

Racechip looks interesting but all for additional power and not downgrading as you say.

MrPotatoHead1

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. As a noob I thought the 2.0 engine came in 140 and 184 formats and the 140 has better mpg as well stock. Is the difference in power and torque all down to tuning or is it a different engine?

Racechip looks interesting but all for additional power and not downgrading as you say.

There was a previous post on this, the GTD engine is slightly different, turbo and injectors were suggested

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12244